Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Rear Parking Sensors Focus Mk2.5

Preee

Just did a little google to confirm exactly what angle sensors are supposed to point at (parallel, or a preferred height from a certain distance away, etc). This site that seems to manufacture and sell sensors (http://www.autosonar.com/faq.asp) in their FAQ of installing say that they should point parallel to the ground.

"12.- How do I determine the mounting position for the sensors on the bumpers?

To avoid false alert because of the ground, the sensors should be mounted between 20" to 32" (0.5m to 0.8m) above ground, 20" (0.5m) is the best.

Horizontally, the sensors should be spaced equally across the bumper. The outer two sensors should be mounted about 15cm (5.9") from the corner of the bumper for better corner coverage.

The sensors also need to be mounted vertically on the bumpers. Each sensor comes with a small internal angle for adjusting it for non vertical bumpers.
"

Note it also gives an recommendation on how high sensors should be. Given that the mounting points are already marked in the bumper, and that once fitted without the spacers they are already pointing parallel (as you all say) then this Focus fitting procedure really couldn't have been any simpler. Brill.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Done it.

I bought the SILVER sensors for my Focus 'moondust silver' (apparently). Installed them, took roughly an hour or so (was being very careful).

I didnt buy the ones with the LCD screen, but just with the audio buzzer. MAN that is loud!! I have left it stuck at the back of the car (on the inside of the grey plastic siderails (where the parcel shelf rests on) but actually stuck a little foam pad HALF over the hole to the speaker just to muffle somewhat.

A REALLY easy job to to.

My recommendations, (only one):

the rubber gromit where the 4 sensor cables come in to the boot space (sharing the cable of the reverse light sensor: for EACH cable just poke a small screwdriver or pointy thing (like a cocktail stick) just to make a hole, then pop a small little needle-nose pliers through the hole, open them and grab the white plug of the cable and pull it back through.This way the rubber gromit maintains an all-round seal around each cable and therefore remains waterproof as no part of the rubber gets removed and it sealing around something round rather than an odd shape. (Remember to have 4 entry holes, one for each cable rather than try sharing 1 hole for many cables).

Job was a cinch. I talked my neighbour in to having some too (he didnt need no convincing tbh) who has a Focus Estate. Oh dear. Since ordering, I then looked at his bumber. The workings, layout and accessibility at the back of his Focus MK1 Estate is VERY different and doesnt look easy at all. :( . Gonna have to help him try and do it.

(I was going to post a picture showing it but it seems this forum doesnt allow you to attach or insert an image and I dont want to !Removed! around registering, uploading and pointing to something that will then be deleted later due to inactivity and leaving a dead link. So, just so you know, as far as I am concerned the colour match is perfect and the result looks like the others on this thread.)

Well, all done.

I received my sensors (I chose the SILVER ones for my 'moondust silver' (apparently) focus). Took roughly an hour or so doing things slowly and carefully and turned out to be spot on. The job was a cinch.

I chose the audio only version (rather than with the LCD screen). MAN that thing is loud! I stuck it on the inside of the grey plastic siderail (where the parcel shelf rests on) and need to stick a bit of foam pad half over the hole of the speaker just to muffle it down somewhat.

My tips from the job (only one):

Regarding the rubber gromit and passing the sensor cables through it into the bootspace:

for EACH sensor cable, just poke a small pointy screwdriver or similar pointy thing through the gromit. Then use small pointy-nose pliers, poke them through the perforation and grab the end of the cable (by the connector) and pull it back through. DO A SEPARATE hole for EACH cable rather than cutting the rubber or trying to pull them all through one hole. This way the rubber remain undamaged and seals completely around each cable remaining waterproof.

I took a photo and was going to post it to show you my effort but as it seems this forum doesnt provide a way to directly upload and attach a photo, I cant. Suffice to say that the silver sensors seem to match exactly the same as my car colour and it looks just like the other photos posted on this thread.

(I also asked my neighbour if he wanted some (to share the postage) as he has a focus estate, and he said yes. Oh dear. After ordering I then looked at the back of his Focus MK1 Estate and it is a VERY different affair to the mack of a standard mk2.5 5 door. It doesnt look easy at all. (No access to the rearside of the bumper...and doubtful that even if and when we do get to it it will have the premarked sensor positions. And not to mention where the wiring is for the reverse light. I am somewhat obliged to help him fit them now. Bugger! Any help? see here please: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/19049-rear-bumper-removal-focus-2001-estate/)

I managed to mis-place the hole saw that came with mine. It's a 19mm one, isn't it? Seems to be rare as hens teeth round my area!

Apparently they're all the same size?

Anywhoo - Mark, I still have mine, for the cost of postage, it's yours!! Drop me a PM if you're interested

Jim - couldn't you squeeze the wires in through the existing hole for the reverse light wire? I managed to squeeze a large screwdriver through it and wiggled the sensor wires through it

• Like 1

The reverse light cable goes up through the centre of the gromit, but then there is some sort of sealant around the cable where it comes through fixing it to the gromit - effectively the gromit and cable are fixed to each other (if you know what I mean). Therefore there is no existing gap for a screwdriver or the sensor cables to go up. Poking a new perforation for the cables was necessary.

By the way, regarding sizes: the premarked rings on the inside of the bumper (presumably at the size of the standard official ford sensors) are bigger than the hole (21mm) you drill for the fitting. It maybe the size of the edge of the sensor outer ring (but not measured it).

Ahh, I didn't have anything stopping me get a screwdriver through lol

I think it's the external diameter that's standard

My point was to have 4x separate entry points for the cables so as to maintain a waterproof seal around each one rather than have them all coming through 1x hole and therefore not being waterproof. In reality, though, its down to opinion on how important this 'waterproof' aspect is; There's no sign of water getting close to that part on my car. As I dont actually drive a landrover, Ive avoided driving through deep streams. :-) Im just a little mildly OCD and like to keep things as close to original design or intention as possible (a little tricky when you have an italian population living around you that is hell bent on making as much damage to your car as possible due to their 'couldnt give a sh¡t' attitude to others).

To be honest I bought black silicone sealant which works a treat at sealing everything. Just blob on and smear in fair dose and it does the job. If it goes in a lake it won't help much lol but it keeps the majority of water out.

the dome shape of the grommet should prevent it getting in anyway unless its extremely heavy and consistant enough for water to push itself up it. mine all went through a single hole (lazy) I might try putting some tissue paper in now the rain has come, see whats what. certainly nothing wet to date.

Ok, for the time being anyway, I have done these photos for viewers to see close up the colour match of the silver sensors to the silver 'moondust' focus. (Apologies if these photos no longer appear as Im sure they will be deleted from hosting server one day)

20141008_160857.jpg

20141009_113000.jpg

20141009_113040.jpg

And just for completeness, here is the cable entry into the gromit (from the underside). You can see its all pretty tight.

20141009_112822.jpg

They really couldn't have made those sensors a better match for our cars, im well chuffed with mine, id go as far as saying it looks better then the OEM ones ive seen about.

The Tonic Blue sensors are ALMOST the same as Avalon (same kit, different seller lol)

'Dee' for Darren, where did you get the Spray washer nozzles (as opposed to jets) and do you think it is worth doing?

• 3 months later...

Have to say a huge thanks to Preee for a really clear set of instructions on fitting the sensors.

Fitted a Dolphin set to my Focus today, just over an hour to do with your excellent guide!

Top Man!! :wub:

• Like 2

so now I need to look out for a light up dolphin on a focus around Kent? :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for the guide. Excellent and sorted out mine perfectly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have found the guide to installing parking sensor put on here by preee but a silly question I have bought a completely different set of sensors and my power cable on the sensors has a black and a red wire please can you inform me which wire in my mk 2.5 2008 focus is the main power cable that gives the power to the sensors from the reversing light and which cable I connect to it and what I do with the other cable thanks

Black to earth and red to the positive reverse light feed

• Like 1

Do you know which wires and colour of wires in the focus are the main feed and which ones the red wire needs to go to cheers

• Like 1

Its probably whatever is not black. (IIRC mine was yellowish). Get your multimeter out and test if you are unsure.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello there, this is not working for Focus MK2, only for MK2.5?

• Like 1

What is your question? The overall guide to fitting or simply the connection of the wires (in the last post)? I see no reason why it shouldnt apply to mk2....but not an Estate in any case (this I DO know....unfortunately!)

• Like 1

Hello there, this is not working for Focus MK2, only for MK2.5?

Hi,

See my guide on additional reverse light in the mk2.5 focus,

Link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29347-guide-fitting-second-reverse-light-ford-focus-mk25/#entry158997

You need to splice your reverse sensor loom in to the same reverse light feed.

Same way I've spliced in an additional reverse light, the loom colours should be the same,

Try one way if doesn't work,

Swap connections around and it will.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club