Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Rear Parking Sensors Focus Mk2.5

Preee

What is your question? The overall guide to fitting or simply the connection of the wires (in the last post)? I see no reason why it shouldnt apply to mk2....but not an Estate in any case (this I DO know....unfortunately!)

Well my question is just to know if i can add a rear parking sensor on my specific car.

My setup:

Ford Focus MK2 SPORT version TDCI 2.0 136 YEAR 2007

• Like 1

Well my question is just to know if i can add a rear parking sensor on my specific car.

My setup:

Ford Focus MK2 SPORT version TDCI 2.0 136 YEAR 2007

The setup will be much the same with the exception of the sensor locations on the bumper,

I've checked and downloaded the guide from PREEE on first page, and it seems a bit hard to do. The following kits are easier to mount or same?

I'd like to mount one of those 2 kits:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Capteurs-Parking-Stationnement-Radar-de-Recul-Voiture-Car-Arriere-Sensors-Kit-/121287407868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item1c3d4af8fc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Displayer-Car-Rear-Reversing-Reverse-Parking-Audio-Buzzer-4-Sensor-Kit-UK-/291503228245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43def24555

Which one do you suggest? And what are the differences between them? Which is the easiest to mount on a Ford Focus?

Do you know it Is it difficult to mount them on a Ford Focus? I'm not skilled with Car customizing and work. I'm more an electronic and IT guy.

• Like 1

The mk2 Focus was designed to have sensors fitted into a specific strip which replaces the top bumper trim however when I had sensors fitted to my old mk2 Sport they went straight into the bumper straight through the middle and they looked spot on.

I have the second set you linked to installed on my car. Honestly the process is really simple, and I shall detail it briefly and hopefully easy to understand below (used in conjunction with Preee's guide, it may help you a bit more!)

Basically the first one uses a buzzer, so it will buzz and beep at you to tell you your about to crash, or the second one has an LED sensor, which shows you as well as beeps at you, how close you are to the obstacle.

> Locate and drill the holes on the bumper - this can be either the painted bit - that the other half keeps scraping on the wall when they park, or it could be the plastic bit of the diffuser at the bottom - as long as the sensors point outwards its fine.
>Take the sensors and slot them in, then run the wires up behind the bumper and along to the Nearside of the vehicle - tie them, tidy them, do what you wish just keep them bunched.
> take the plastics and material sides of the boot out the way, they dont need to be fully removed.
> find an entry point, and if one is not provided, then provide one. This could be as simple as drilling a small hole through a plastic cover., then just poke the wires through there up into the boot space.

As far as wiring is concerned, I highly recommend "PosiTAP" if you are not comfortable with cutting, soldering or any of that, these are a life saver.

Take the red "Live" cable from the sensor and use the positaps as per this instructional demonstration:

Take the black (Ground) part of this wire and attach it to the earth bolt. For this, I slightly unbolted the earth on the rear (near the lights and wheel well), tucked the bare wire under the bolt and just tightened it on.

It now has power.

Now as long as you have plugged the sensors in, your final job is to find a home for the LCD screen.

I basically fed the wire down the back seats, and under the rear nearside door seal, under the centre pillar, under the driver door seal, up the a pillar, and along the top of windscreen (tucked under the head lining) and then stuck it onto the top of my rear view mirror.

• Like 1

FWIW I didnt bother for the sensors that have a LED display as I felt it didnt REALLY add a benefit (its more of a fancy 'nicety'). My idea was that when you are reversing you can SEE what the obstacle is but its just the distance you need help with, or better, even if you cant see the obstacle the fact the buzzer is screaming "STOOOP!!!" it doesnt matter whether the obstacle is on the left, right or whatever ( - you just need to stop NOW!) And as such, by just going with the 'buzzer only' version it makes life a whole lot simpler for installing.

For installing, it REALLY was a simple procedure - just go through the guide on the first page slowly and with care. There isnt that much to it, despite how looks on first reading - the only real obstacle is your doubt on your abilities (understandable if you havent really ever tried such an installation before). But it really is easy.

And I have to say it has changed my 'driving life' in my focus. I cant believe I took 4 years to do it - all the hassle and doubt I had reverse parking has since gone and they have well paid for themselves. (But at £16.99 - that wouldnt be hard).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer to know which side the obstruction is at personally but each to their own of course. As you say though, for a tiny outlay and a bit of courage, it pays for itself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi I am a newbie here followed Preee's guide and trying to install the reversing sensors on my MK2 ford focus, I connected the positive feed (red cable from the parking sensor unit) to the Green/Yellow cable and the other cable (black cable) to the earth point, but when I put gear to reverse, nothing happens, when I press brake I can hear the beep and the sensor is on, so at that point I think the green/yellow might not be the correct reversing cable, so I tried to put the positive feed to all other cables, but no any luck. I then took off the reverse light cover and I can clearly see the cable connect the reversing light is indeed green/yellow, and when I select reverse gear, the reversing light did come on, so there is power delivered, I am confused now, any help will be really appreciated, thanks!

Unless the wiring is incorrectly done it should be right, but if your brakes are triggering it, it could be a short.

So no worries provide the correct scenario?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Just checked, depends which lamp your going to. Right is green orange, left green yellow.

thanks for the advice but I thought there is only one reversing light, which is on the left (passenger side), I can only see green/yellow cable, no green/orange. I have tried to remove the reversing light cover and connect the parking sensor directly to the reversing light cable but still no luck, the reversing light however did working fine so strange.

• 1 year later...

Just signed up to say thanks to Preee for this great guide and everyone else for the rest their great tips. Got my sensors yesterday and fitted today. Never did anything like this before so we'll chuffed getting this done. Now onto my next project to change the head unit and install a parking camera which looks a totally different ball game. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, aaronm13 said:

Just signed up to say thanks to Preee for this great guide and everyone else for the rest their great tips. Got my sensors yesterday and fitted today. Never did anything like this before so we'll chuffed getting this done. Now onto my next project to change the head unit and install a parking camera which looks a totally different ball game. 

I've created a few guides should help😉

Guide to Fitting Aftermarket headunit focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide Installing Reverse Camera Focus Mk2.5 2008 - 2011Click Here

Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here

IMG_20141016_200047_zpsbb1snprl.jpg

On Sunday, February 05, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Lenny said:

Hi Lenny. Saw your guide to the parking camera and it looks like a big job. Need to sit down and read the guide a few times. Never did anything like this before so maybe when I break it down it might start making sense. I've ordered the one that goes into the license plate light like you have. 

1 hour ago, aaronm13 said:

Hi Lenny. Saw your guide to the parking camera and it looks like a big job. Need to sit down and read the guide a few times. Never did anything like this before so maybe when I break it down it might start making sense. I've ordered the one that goes into the license plate light like you have. 

The one I've fitted replaces the boot handle, sits centre of the rear but reg plate isint far off,

it's not really a big job atall when you read it through will make more sence.

22 hours ago, Lenny said:

The one I've fitted replaces the boot handle, sits centre of the rear but reg plate isint far off,

it's not really a big job atall when you read it through will make more sence.

That's it,  I'll just read over it a few times and print it off and take my time with it. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2017 at 7:30 PM, aaronm13 said:

That's it,  I'll just read over it a few times and print it off and take my time with it. Thanks again. 

No problem,

Any questions just post on the reverse camera thread 

I prefer to respond on the specific thread because it documents a nice list of Q&A which saves me repeating myself 😅

21 hours ago, Lenny said:

No problem,

Any questions just post on the reverse camera thread or email leonard.woods@live.ie 

I prefer to respond on the specific thread rather than email because it documents a nice list of Q&A which saves me repeating myself 😅

Brilliant, I might just have to take you up on that. Camera still hasn't arrived but head unit has so I'll get that done first over the weekend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aaronm13 said:

Brilliant, I might just have to take you up on that. Camera still hasn't arrived but head unit has so I'll get that done first over the weekend. 

The headunit can be difficult to remove once fitted mate,

Perhaps install the aftermarket surround and hold out for the camera before fitting the headunit completely 

21 hours ago, Lenny said:

The headunit can be difficult to remove once fitted mate,

Perhaps install the aftermarket surround and hold out for the camera before fitting the headunit completely 

Camera arrived today so  i'm good to go for fitting over the weekend. First question, do I need to disconnect the battery when adding the camera/splicing cables? I did as a precaution when doing the sensors but I don't see it mentioned in any guides for either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaronm13 said:

Camera arrived today so  i'm good to go for fitting over the weekend. First question, do I need to disconnect the battery when adding the camera/splicing cables? I did as a precaution when doing the sensors but I don't see it mentioned in any guides for either.

I didn't bother as all of those cables are dead when the key is out of the ignition but if you want to be extra careful you could.

I'm off work next two days so I should be available online across the weekend, best to ask questions through the forum as it allows others to respond if i don't manage to respond at the time myself.

42 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I didn't bother as all of those cables are dead when the key is out of the ignition but if you want to be extra careful you could.

I'm off work next two days so I should be available online across the weekend, best to ask questions through the forum as it allows others to respond if i don't manage to respond at the time myself.

Good stuff Lenny, wasn't sure if it was just one of those obvious things so I thought I'd double check, don't want to fry myself or the car. battery was tricky to get at also.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

HIya, 

Anyone know how I can find the reverse light live on ford focus estate 2013?

Unlike the hatchback the reverse lights seems to be in tailgate, so seems like its too far to trace a wire to the Parking sensor unit from there, so I was hoping someone could identify where the reverse light Live wires goes when it leaves the tail gate, and how to identify it? so i can tap into it closer to the rear bumper of the car.

Many thanks in advance.  Unfortunately I'm not very technical, so was hoping someone could make it clear for me.  

• 2 weeks later...