Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rough Idle On A 2004 2.0 Tdci

Z3 MON

Hey guys,

Just brought a 2004 2.0l tdci. It still pulls really well but has a lumpy idle and the car actually wobbles a bit. It's got a bit better. I bought it yesterday and it was sat for some time, no smoke or anything.

Also have a issue with the rear drivers side brake light staying on with the side lights so the full circle is lit all the time rather than bottom half only when not breaking??

Any ideas??

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Z3 MON

• plumbob

• Stoney871

• pragmatix

just to re iterate its every time i stop and am stationary and its intermitant.

just to re iterate its every time i stop and am stationary and its intermitant.

it could be a gummed up or stuck EGR valve, these can be removed and cleaned, as for the brake light check for any damage to the wiring or fitment.

Will do :) is the valve to the right of the turbo as you look at the engine???

Quick update, started it to go home, as usual started on the first turn easily. No effort. However we did notice a rather large plume of slightly black smoke (not blue) it didn't smell like oil but just like a stronger smell of the usual emmisions. The engine is rather noise but it is missing the plastic engine cover so I put it down to that.

I'm gona try and strip off the valve and clean it out this weekend and see where we go from there.

It doesn't seem to be getting any better from a few dual carriageway blasts, the weird think is its so nice and smooth to drive. I just don't get it.

Thanks

Dave

This may help you do a search for ford wiki there is a detailed guid to EGR cleaning on there, sorry not allowed to post a link

That guide on Ford wiki is ideal. Is this a common problem on the mondeo??

Common to all cars that have an EGR, a very dodgy soloution to a problem that doesnt really exist. Who ever thought that putting burnt exhust gases back into an engine is an idiot, dont get me started on catalitic converters, they cause more polloution than the cure, the lean burn engine was the way forward but the cat was thought as a cheaper (short term ) soloution, do a search for lean burn engines it will through up lots of reading.

Sorry rant over

yeah it is david most garages go for the EGR valve like they did on mine but that problem as been sorted and it was`nt the cause next plan is to get my injectors tested as one of them as a slight little leak around it i hope this is the problem as its doing my nut ive change fuel pump solenoid wich i was told to do after going to ford for a code reading test and the problem still went on so it just leaves the injectors or fuel pump its self these cars are lovely when working right :wacko:

john

Common to all cars that have an EGR, a very dodgy soloution to a problem that doesnt really exist. Who ever thought that putting burnt exhust gases back into an engine is an idiot, dont get me started on catalitic converters, they cause more polloution than the cure, the lean burn engine was the way forward but the cat was thought as a cheaper (short term ) soloution, do a search for lean burn engines it will through up lots of reading.

Sorry rant over

yeah i got agree with pete EGR valves are the most stuipid idea its just a money maker i think plus most people have them blanked off so they don`t cause more problems in the future .

john

Thought so. Am I right in saying that the valve does in the same place as a wastegate on a scooby or is the wastegate/dumpvalve the same as a egr valve ??,

them blanked off so they don`t cause more problems in the future .

john

That causes as many probs as it cures

yeah it is david most garages go for the EGR valve like they did on mine but that problem as been sorted and it was`nt the cause next plan is to get my injectors tested as one of them as a slight little leak around it i hope this is the problem as its doing my nut ive change fuel pump solenoid wich i was told to do after going to ford for a code reading test and the problem still went on so it just leaves the injectors or fuel pump its self these cars are lovely when working right :wacko:

john

Mate that's getting, I really hope mine is not injection related. What happens to the injectors???

Thought so. Am I right in saying that the valve does in the same place as a wastegate on a scooby or is the wastegate/dumpvalve the same as a egr valve ??,

No not the same thing at all wastegates/dump valves stop a turbo over presurising a EGR ( exhaust gas recirculating ) valve just sends a portion of the exhaust gases back into the inlet manifold

That causes as many probs as it cures

What problems ??

What problems ??

ECU warnings hesitant running, etc, all its suposed to cure, depends on the motor a real black art it appears

Sorted the rear lighting issues out tonight, some very questionable accident repair work. Also a filament had broken in the stop/tail bulb and shorted aswell. So after replacing a total of 6 bulbs and some re wiring, the rear light all work.

Also got my radio code today aswell.

Just reach 112 miles and suddenly the lumpy idle is starting to go.

Got some BG244 on the way an if its not to snowy tomorow ill crack at taking the egr valve off...

Cheers

Dave

Me to, its sounding rather tappety though

Bought it Wednesday, still havnt checked oil :s although service book says last service 79,000 its now on 82,000 and says the next one is not due till 90,000. Will check oil tomorow, its snowing to heavy now lol.

Update: so today my dad sorted all the wiring out for the rear lights. I took the egr out, the main bit wasn't to bad but the little bit was bad, the pipe the comes out the bottom seemed to have diesel/oil on it but smelt of nothing. The oil was a down a litre. Topped that up. Started her up and she was great for a couple minutes and has now started hunting. I am thinking give it 100 miles and see where it goes. If not I've got some BG244 on its way, failing that ill reset the ecu, so frustrating as she runs soo smooth.

Dave

BG244 came this morning. Will chuck it in tonight with some diesel and leave it to idle for 15 minutes and see how it goes. Will it matter that I used redex about 120 miles ago ??

Cheers

Dave