Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 1996 With 41K Miles On It

mondeomaster1982

Hi all

This is my first post on this forum.

Ive been given a 1996 mk1 Ford mondeo estate 1.8 16v lx with only 41k miles on it. Although there is no rust on the car the previous owner was elderly and her space awareness wasnt what it used to be so its had a dew bumps. Ive had a good look at the car which has been standing for the best part of a year. Its got no mot or tax. The battery has been on trickle charge and so started first time. The engine runs like new i guess its down to the fact that its been serviced every 2 to 3 k. The engine oil is golden and no sign what so ever of black oil ever been in the car. Now the problems iam aware of are

1. The central locking doesnt work. When you place the key into the lock and turn to lock the car, the drivers door locks then instantly unlocks its self. Go along to the passenger side to lock the car and it tries to lock all the door apart from the drivers door then unlocks itself again.

2. Its got a leak in the passenger front footwell and the passenger rear footwell. Ive notices the window rubbers have strunk and there is a gap where the window meets the door. Is that the issue with the leak or is this a common problem?

3. It could do with a new rear door as its been pretty badly bumped. Where is the best place to get another door?

Iam thinking of running this car and selling mine as this will be a very handy car to own with it been an estate and much more comfy on my commute to work. Iam not bothered about the looks etc as its purely just a car to get me too and from work.

Any help on these problems ive come across so far would be brill

Regards

Rob

the central locking will be becuase of the relay box, should be able to get one from a scrappy, unsure where it is on these car but had same problem with my almera.

the central locking will be becuase of the relay box, should be able to get one from a scrappy, unsure where it is on these car but had same problem with my almera.

1. Central locking thing may also be that something in the driver's door mechanism has become stuck in position while the car has been standing. Got to be worth some inner and outer door handle wiggling and some WD40 in the locks and mechanism before you start shelling out on parts. Otherwise, like David says, try a 2nd hand relay.

2. Most likely the rubbers have shrunk/perished due to lack of use and drying out so very likely the cause of the leak(s).

3.Could well be. A misalinged or bend door frame will leak like a good'un!

Try the central locking thing first. After that I guess it's a visit to eBay or a scrappie....

nice one ill give them a try just priced up the rubbers and its comes to about 30 quid inc vat so ill give that a go.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club