Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pc/laptop Flat Screen In A Van Is It Possible

mickmk6

i have 2 lap top screens .and 2 moniter screens is it possible to strip either down to use in a car .. can they be ran off 12 v or is it a inverter and can i change the input to accept a rca video output signal from a hd ice dvd player

so your trying to take the likes of an LCD screen from a laptop and put it into your van, converted to run off the likes of RGB?

To be honest, no. The connections within an LCD screen are bespoke to the laptop motherboard its connecting and you wont find any generic adapters you could use. as for a PC screen, the only way you can use it is with a power switch from 12v to 3 pin plug. Again you would struggle to convert the mains to run from DC to AC with just one cable (at least not easily or cheaply).

That laptop screens you will struggle with because, as Jeebowhite says, the connectors will be bespoke.

How about fit an inverter and run the LCD monitors of that?

well im handy with a soldering iron and i can repair pc's to a extent so connectors not a problem .

and i think from what your saying is without a inverter to run a power pack for the 240v screen's its usless

surly a lcd screen dosnt run at 240 arnt the reduced down sum what??? need a tech geak really on this one lol

Check the power packs that came with the screens, they should have the output voltage and ampage on them.

You could try using converters but they draw a lot from the battery and system.

surly a lcd screen dosnt run at 240 arnt the reduced down sum what??? need a tech geak really on this one lol

Yeah thats why most of the power packs are a step down transformer... you would find it difficult to take an external PSU, chop the three point off and replace with a 12V connector, and then have issues with the step down / step up.

Unless you are going to put an inline fuse, with some form of step up / step down transformer in between, then you will be struggling really...

You *may* be able to find one on the net though, a 12v powered TV, for the likes of a caravan? you wouldnt need to rewire anything...?

and i think from what your saying is without a inverter to run a power pack for the 240v screen's its usless

It's not useless without the inverter. I just think that an inverter is a very easy way of getting the screens powered up in a vehicle. Why mess about with wiring, voltages, etc when you can buy something for £20 that does it for you?

You need the correct voltage to get the screen to work without modification (ie 240v). If the screen has a built in transformer you will need to get the voltage right. If the screen has an external transformer then you may have more options but I would be surprised if the screen needs 12v or less in which case you're back to the inverter.

You also need to be aware of the amps when installing in a vehicle. An LCD screen on its own shouldn't draw too many amps so will probably not be too difficult. The rating should be on the transformer (it's the wattage you are looking for - eg: 50W) as you will need to know this to make sure any inverter you want to use has enough current.

You need to make sure you get the voltage and ampage right or else you risk blowing fuses and/or melting wires! :o

thanks guys you made my mind up .. just going to save a little and buy some propper in car 12v 17" screens ..not cheep like but hey should have them for the summer

just received my 2 i.c.e battery's .. theyl do nicely lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club