Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 53 HELP!!!

HAB

Hi,

Just after christmas my engine warning light came on in my car when i was driving home. The engine started to idle unevenly and the light kept on flashing. I took it to the garage and he ran the diagnostics and told me that there was no error repored and that one of the spark plugs must have died. I had 4 new spark plugs fitted and theh problem seemed to have gone away. The engine warning light is now off but the car is still misfiring and if i put my foot down to accelerate hard it is either really unresponsive or it stutters before it picks up. some times when it's idleing it is fireing unevenly but it's a very intemittent problem. Can anyone help me with what it could be. Could it be the spark splug gap? The mechanic that fitted the plugs said the gap doesn't need checking as they are all set these days. could it be a faulty spark plug? If so how can I diagnose which one? I am going to be looking into solving this problem myself now as I have more time and I need a spark plug spanner. Does anyone know what size I will need?

Any help on this situation will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

H. :D

if the correct plugs were used the gap is preset and should be correct, did the garage mention that it could be the plug leads or the coil pack breaking down?

if the correct plugs were used the gap is preset and should be correct, did the garage mention that it could be the plug leads or the coil pack breaking down?

i agree, it sounds like the coil pack is starting to fail. a common problem im afraid. If you replace it i would recommend you replace the spark plugs again at the same time.

Thanks for the Help guys. I have one question though. Why do you recommend changing the spark plugs aswell? I've only just had them fitted surely they should still be fine? They have done less than 500 miles.

• 7 months later...

I thought I'd let you know the outcome of this one. I replaced the coil pack and this fixed the issue. However now 7months down the line I am having the same issue again. I've just replaced the coil pack and I'm just about to try changing the plugs. The EAC fail came on when I was driving to pick up the plugs. Does anyone know if the EAC fail could have come on because of spark plug problems? or is this going to be something more sinister this time?

I thought I'd let you know the outcome of this one. I replaced the coil pack and this fixed the issue. However now 7months down the line I am having the same issue again. I've just replaced the coil pack and I'm just about to try changing the plugs. The EAC fail came on when I was driving to pick up the plugs. Does anyone know if the EAC fail could have come on because of spark plug problems? or is this going to be something more sinister this time?

I had this problem with my Zetec 1.4. Same thing as you, thought I had fixed it. The reality was that the problem was seasonal, usually came along with cold and/or humid weather. After replacing part after part after part I just gave up and accepted it as a quirk :P

I had the same problem. Be careful though as I had to have my CAT replaced shortly after as a result of the coil pack failure, can't remember exactly what I was told at the time (this was 2 years ago), maybe another member can explain?

Just to note that I changed:

Coil Pack,

Spark Plugs

Plug Leads

All Filters

Took it to Ford for ECU update and all sensor checks

Couldn't find anything wrong with it, but the problem never went away. You'll see this in all fiesta forums, people coming with the same problem only for it to disapear for while, and then return. If you can find out what the problem is then I will love you forever!

Only got this car for another month or so as I'm trading it in, however its the principle of the thing now. I would love to know what the problem is and just fix it.

• 1 month later...

I changed the plugs and the problem has gone away. I noticed there was alot of moisture around the plugs and the plugs were all rusty. The amount of moisture seemed to be way more than there should be round the plugs. The only thing I can think of is that water managed to get to the plugs some how and caused one of the plugs to fail. There is only one way water could get there and that's from around the water jet directly above. After changing the plugs I gunned a load of roof and gutter sealant around the underside of the jet. Hopefully this keeps any water that was getting in out. Car runs fine now "touch wood". I know this is not much use to anyone that has already changed their coil pack and plugs and still not fixed the problem, but it does seem that these are the most common causes of this type of problem.

If these changes hadn't of fixed the issue i would have then changed the coil leads and after that I would've started to look at the sensors.

Anyway that's my story so far.

I changed the plugs and the problem has gone away. I noticed there was alot of moisture around the plugs and the plugs were all rusty. The amount of moisture seemed to be way more than there should be round the plugs. The only thing I can think of is that water managed to get to the plugs some how and caused one of the plugs to fail. There is only one way water could get there and that's from around the water jet directly above. After changing the plugs I gunned a load of roof and gutter sealant around the underside of the jet. Hopefully this keeps any water that was getting in out. Car runs fine now "touch wood". I know this is not much use to anyone that has already changed their coil pack and plugs and still not fixed the problem, but it does seem that these are the most common causes of this type of problem.

If these changes hadn't of fixed the issue i would have then changed the coil leads and after that I would've started to look at the sensors.

Anyway that's my story so far.

hi hab

i had the same problem on my 53 plate fiesta ghia and had washer jets replaced with seals by fords as they said it was a problem water leaking from the jets as they are fitted without seals regards paul

• 5 years later...

Hi,

Im now having the same issue. I want to replace the parts myself but unbelievably cannot figue how the black engine cover comes off.

I have a fiesta zetec 52 plate. Can anyone offer me a link or guidance on how to remove the cover, how to replace the spark plugs would also be great.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem with mine the EAC light came on turns out it's a common fault & it's the fault of the accelerator pedal & Throttle Body easy fix if I'm honest clean the throttle body with Holts EGR & Carb Cleaner just take the throttle body of the car & give it a good clean every three months all so replace the accelerator pedal & make shore  you blow compressed air on the connections as the Connections to get dirty all so another common fault is you tens to get a miss fire on 1 & 4 cylinder well this is your ECU it happened to me so I got my ECU repaired by a place called power Tune best thing I ever did as now any silly faults a Fiesta has have gone & I have a 53 plate Fiesta MK6 oh all so replace the water jets on the bonnet as the ones Ford put on there let water in & the water leaks on to 1 & 4 cylinder thus coursing your ECU to fail I up graded my water jets solved the problem, Sounds silly I no but once you have owned a Fiesta for years you get to no there little faults & I've learned what thy are & corrected them & improved them. Also the breather pipe tends to split so replace that all so the little blue sponge in the Air filter box replace that every three months or  you can clean it depends on personal preference if I'm honest. Any way hope this helps if you need more information please let me no I'm always happy to help

On 15 November 2014 at 3:57 PM, lee_fiesta said:

Hi,

Im now having the same issue. I want to replace the parts myself but unbelievably cannot figue how the black engine cover comes off.

I have a fiesta zetec 52 plate. Can anyone offer me a link or guidance on how to remove the cover, how to replace the spark plugs would also be great.

Thanks

Take the two front bolts out, disconnect the small rubber hose at the left hand side, disconnect the plastic pipe from the right hand side and grip the cover at either side near the back, then you have to tug it hard to lift it off the two 'pegs' at the rear of the engine. Watch you do not lose the two rubber grommets at the rear of the cover/air filter box. Lubricate the grommets with wd40 when you replace the cover/air filter box to help it slide easily onto the 'pegs'

• Like 2

i would hope he has figured it out by now. lol    nov 14 !! 

better late than never. lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, iantt said:

i would hope he has figured it out by now. lol    nov 14 !! 

better late than never. lol

Doh! I never spotted that lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club