Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Belt Slipping? Advise Please

robmanmanc

Hi All,

Recently got a beautiful Fiesta TDCi 1.4 5 door 2004 in Black. I love the car to bits, it's a real upgrade to my 1998 Ghia X.

After a few days of owning it the altinator went and I had it repaired by the garage I got it from gratis along with a noise that was coming from what I thought was the serpentine belt. The noise seemed to happen in the wet (although not exclusively) whenever the car hit exactly 1000 revs. It sounds like a squeek (although not the typical high pitch sweek I associate with a fan belt slipping) or as my girlfriend says a sort of fluttering robotic owl - fairly accurate. Apparently it had been overtightened when it was replaced and I noticed the sound disappeared.

It seems to have come back after a couple of weekends of doing 400miles + and the recent bad weather this weekend. It only happens at 1000revs, as soon as you go above or below it stops. It does come back very faintly around 1800 revs but is never a problem anywhere higher.

I can take it back again but would love if there was a solution I could maybe sort myself, after all it's only a noise and the car performs brilliantly.

You could get some belt conditioner but it will probably come and go with time.

The belt is tensioned by an automatic tensioner, there isnt anything you can adjust/over tighten as its spring loaded.

It could be the early signs of a bearing drying up/failing.

Are the bearings easy to access? do they just need a spot of WD40? I know putting it on the belt if a bad idea.

Are the bearings easy to access? do they just need a spot of WD40? I know putting it on the belt if a bad idea.

the tensioner, idlers etc will all have sealed bearings. if it is a bearing, you would need to find out which one and replace the idler or pulley etc

the tensioner, idlers etc will all have sealed bearings. if it is a bearing, you would need to find out which one and replace the idler or pulley etc

Yeah, personally I would do this first - as it's unlikely a bearing has gone and the scenario fits as the belt has been played with possibly got grease/oil on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, despite being fairly handy around the house I've only just started on car DIY so always curious to find out more about their workings. I've ordered some belt conditioner and will give it a whirl and post an update. Any hints on usage?

Thanks again

It's quite sticky stuff, but underneath the car on the drives side there is clear access to the belt.

Park half on a curb for easier access. I normally spray it on while its running.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club