Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Encore Brake Light

JoeyTaffy93

Hi all,

My dad has a 1998 1.3 Ford Fiesta Encore in red which he recently damaged the tail gate on by reversing into a trailer at work - D'OH!. He dented it quite badly. We were looking at replacement tailgates and found one with a third brake light which would make a good improvement to the back end of the car, except obviously it doesn't have a third brake light so it would need retrofitting, how hard would it be?

Should just be a case of running the wires down & joining them to the wire going to the brake light on the car and a suitable earth point on the body. If you have a test light (to find the right wire on the car), a soldering iron (or scotchlock) and some insulation tape - Simples! :)

Should just be a case of running the wires down & joining them to the wire going to the brake light on the car and a suitable earth point on the body. If you have a test light (to find the right wire on the car), a soldering iron (or scotchlock) and some insulation tape - Simples! :)

Explain the earth point please? I'm not an electrical minded person. Though I'm willing to give it a go with the right information and details.

you could use something like a bolt for a rear light with the interior paint scratched off but theres quite often an earth point hidden somewhere

Explain the earth point please? I'm not an electrical minded person. Though I'm willing to give it a go with the right information and details.

Hi mate,

before running a new cable, i would have a look at the loom (wires) on the existing boot panel becaue the chances are that you have a plug to fit on to the third brake light already in place and you just need to plug it in to the light unit.

it is normal practice for ford to fit the same loom to all models and then only fit some parts to it depending on the spec of the model.

Hi mate,

before running a new cable, i would have a look at the loom (wires) on the existing boot panel becaue the chances are that you have a plug to fit on to the third brake light already in place and you just need to plug it in to the light unit.

it is normal practice for ford to fit the same loom to all models and then only fit some parts to it depending on the spec of the model.

Just like my Rover then, I have all the looms in place and it was just a plug and play job. Didn't it become the law that all vehicles after 1998 required a third high level brake light anyway?

Where do I find the loom in the boot panel?

Just like my Rover then, I have all the looms in place and it was just a plug and play job. Didn't it become the law that all vehicles after 1998 required a third high level brake light anyway?

Where do I find the loom in the boot panel?

hi mate, im not sure about the third brake light becoming law, but now that you mention it, i cant think of any car these days that doesnt have a third brake light in the back window.

and if you look at the location of the brake light on the boot panel, and you may see the cable colours,

then remove the panel from the existing panel and try find the same colours on a plug.

other option would be to run a single positive feed from the existing brake lights in to the boot panel and connect it to the third light,

then splice in to an earth feed on the boot door, such as the one for the boot release.

hi mate, im not sure about the third brake light becoming law, but now that you mention it, i cant think of any car these days that doesnt have a third brake light in the back window.

and if you look at the location of the brake light on the boot panel, and you may see the cable colours,

then remove the panel from the existing panel and try find the same colours on a plug.

other option would be to run a single positive feed from the existing brake lights in to the boot panel and connect it to the third light,

then splice in to an earth feed on the boot door, such as the one for the boot release.

Ok so I'll check that area after work and see if I find anything. :) Thank you.

Ok so I'll check that area after work and see if I find anything. :) Thank you.

no prob mate, happy to help and keep us posted on here because their are some other 97/98 fiesta owners who may be interested in fitting this unit the same as yourself and your findings would be usefull.

no prob mate, happy to help and keep us posted on here because their are some other 97/98 fiesta owners who may be interested in fitting this unit the same as yourself and your findings would be usefull.

True, true. Plus it's a nice upgrade which I believe can help insurance as there's extra brake light cover. If I recall my dad could save £10 a year if I do this by declaring a third brake light.

True, true. Plus it's a nice upgrade which I believe can help insurance as there's extra brake light cover. If I recall my dad could save £10 a year if I do this by declaring a third brake light.

i didnt know that mate,

im less reluctant to report my fourth brake light now lol i thought it would put my insurance higher.

Image1209.jpgImage1342.jpg

Call them mate and just ask? Don't say it's done, just see what they have to say.