Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maf Sensor Location

Matthew Blackledge

Hi there,

My girlfriend bought a 1.4 duratec 2003 fiesta (mk6?) a few weeks ago, I drove it to screwfix last weekend and noticed it was running bad. I plugged my laptop into the OBD port and found P0103 (MAF sensor high input) and P0300 (random misfire). So I started searching for the maf sensor to give it and clean and test it. The problem is I cannot find the thing. I have got a new replacement form eurocarparts encase it is knackered. I even bought a Haynes book to help me find the damb thing. There is no mention of a maf sensor on the petrol models in the book, yet you can buy them from the parts supplier and the car has DTC codes showing there is a fault with it.

I have pulled the airbox off, the feed pipe to the throttle body and still cant see it or the wiring plug for it. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi there,

My girlfriend bought a 1.4 duratec 2003 fiesta (mk6?) a few weeks ago, I drove it to screwfix last weekend and noticed it was running bad. I plugged my laptop into the OBD port and found P0103 (MAF sensor high input) and P0300 (random misfire). So I started searching for the maf sensor to give it and clean and test it. The problem is I cannot find the thing. I have got a new replacement form eurocarparts encase it is knackered. I even bought a Haynes book to help me find the damb thing. There is no mention of a maf sensor on the petrol models in the book, yet you can buy them from the parts supplier and the car has DTC codes showing there is a fault with it.

I have pulled the airbox off, the feed pipe to the throttle body and still cant see it or the wiring plug for it. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated.

MAF sensor isn't that mass air flow it should be right next to the air box

MAF sensor isn't that mass air flow it should be right next to the air box

Yes MAF is mass air flow. I have had the airbox off and no sign of it. On my focus it is in the intake after the filter housing, you can't miss it with the great big electrical connector hanging out of the top. But on the fiesta there is no sign. So I thought maybe it doesn't have one, but that doesn't explain why parts shops sell one for it or why it has a mass air flow high voltage input error code. There is a map sensor in the throttle body, but that would throw up a P0108 code. I'm really confused.

On the MK7 only the 1.6 has an airflow sensor, located in the air cleaner cover according the the Haynes manual.

On the MK7 only the 1.6 has an airflow sensor, located in the air cleaner cover according the the Haynes manual.

I know what you mean, according to the Haynes book on the 2003 only the diesel has a maf. But that doesn't explain why the OBD throws the maf P0103 code and it can be purchased for the 1.4 engine. This is driving me crazy. It ran fine for a while, then started giving me problems and has got progressively worse. There is a MAP sensor fitted but that has a different code all together.

Right I've managed to fix it so I'm replying encase anyone has a similar issue. The MAF sensor is in fact a the TMAP of the fiesta, not the MAF as sold by Euro car parts. The tmap definitely helped but there was still an issue that I needed to finalize. I changed the coil but it still wasn't any good so I robbed the HT leads off my focus. Problem solved and it ran better than it ever had done. So in summary I strongly suspect there were two issues running side by side. So in all it has had a new tmap £50, Coil £32, Spark plugs £8, air filter £6 and some HT leads £17. A real pain in the rear but I got there in the end. The missus is well chuffed now and I have only got to throw an oil filter on and it has had its service for the next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Where is the TMAP sensor located?

I have a 1.4 Duratec SE SILVER.

The car doesn't seem to take off very well when at a juntion/traffic lights etc.

I really have to put my foot down to get away, and even then it makes a loud grunting noise.

Please let me know

Thanks

• 5 years later...

Hi Matthew,

I have a similary issue with my Ford Focus 1.4 (2010). It's giving me p0104 error, but no MAF...
Very strange it's giving MAF error, while there are designated MAP codes ..

Posted the question already here: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/50781/p0104-maf-sensor

Could you tell what you did exactly ? Simply replacing the MAP solved the error code ?

5 minutes ago, rzoleee said:

Could you tell what you did exactly ?

welcome, the original poster probably isnt active member anymore, but you could try the clean the MAF sensor as your car is 7-8 years old, this may clear the fault. if that doesn't work id try replacing it to see if that works. 

side note, have you cleared the fault code, from the system, if so has it come back straight away.

Well, the problem is that there's no MAF sensor in my car ..

Fault code comes back right away