Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta - Brakes Squeaking

ryan6542

Hello

I have a Fiesta Titanium 1.4, 2011

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my brakes would be squeaking, with only 8,500 miles on the clock?

I don't think its the sort of squeaking heard when pads have worn out! Just a small squeak when I'm just about to stop. As I drive sensibly, I thought the pads would last at least 20,000 miles?!

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I have a 2011 titanium too (14,000 miles) and I get a tiny squeak as I come to a stop, but only when its wet or freezing. It doesn't bother me though.

Does yours squeak all the time?

Paul

Hi Paul, well I've only just noticed it recently, so thought it could be to do with the weather but wasn't sure.

Just wondered if it happens to anyone else, lets hope it stops when the weather warms up!

Thanks

I've got the same on my car since it got really cold

I also have this problem..... <_<

2.5yrs old with 15000 miles.

I hear its a design flaw.

My car was in yesterday for Econocheck and I mentioned the brake sqeak. They checked the pads and they are only about 60% worn. They said it's the salt that causes the squeak. They have cleaned the pads and the brakes are silent now.

• Like 1

I have a 2009 Fiesta 1.4 TDCI with 34,500 miles on the clock, and for the past 4-6 months the front brakes have had a squeak at low speed. The braking is ok. Today the car is in for servicing and I have just been informed that the brake pads are crumbling and the disc's have only 1mm of wear left. I am not a heavy braker and have never had a problem with any Ford I have owned, 12+ from new. Is there a desing fault with the Fiesta braking system?

Quite often it is a build up of dust and crud. If you spray some brake cleaner in there it will often flush out the rubbish for a while and resolve the issue until it builds up again. Make sure you do it when their cold though otherwise you could risk cracking a disc.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi,

fiesta 09 style 41,000.

had squeaking for a while, but I think its the rear breaks not the front. Ive had the squeak for well over a year, and its at slow speeds for about a mile, then it goes, often more recurant in the wet damp conditions, but the squeak rattles through the chassis, it actually turns heads, Any way, ive had the drums off and the shoes are FINE,ive changed the pads at front. Which devolped another squeak whilst at low speeds also, but long story short, it was the pads id bought had too much paint on the metal bits at the top and and bottom, so prevented them from being free floating, so took em back out, filed off the paint, bit of grease, solved.

When ive taken the breaks apart I used cleaner for all the above and im still at square one

But the original squeak is still an issue, I read that it was an design fault regarding the change in design cos of asbestos. I didnt think asbestos was an issue nowadays . ? ? So find it unlikely ford would have made such a mistake.

it does seem like theres really no hard and fast reason. I took it to kwik fit....they didnt have a clue, and my mates etc, also have no idea.

my next course kf action is brake fluid change... will post if any thing changes.

Cheers

Mine squeak as well. Not too much of an issue but I will ask about it when teh service is due in a month or so.

My car was in yesterday for Econocheck and I mentioned the brake sqeak. They checked the pads and they are only about 60% worn. They said it's the salt that causes the squeak. They have cleaned the pads and the brakes are silent now.

Salt? It hasn't been cold enough for salt yet. MIne have been doing this all summer so think that explanation is a load of bull.

I have a 2009 Fiesta 1.4 TDCI with 34,500 miles on the clock, and for the past 4-6 months the front brakes have had a squeak at low speed. The braking is ok. Today the car is in for servicing and I have just been informed that the brake pads are crumbling and the disc's have only 1mm of wear left. I am not a heavy braker and have never had a problem with any Ford I have owned, 12+ from new. Is there a desing fault with the Fiesta braking system?

34500 mile I'm not surprised your brakes need replacing, however carefully you drive they have to wear otherwise they wouldn't work.

Quite often it is a build up of dust and crud. If you spray some brake cleaner in there it will often flush out the rubbish for a while and resolve the issue until it builds up again. Make sure you do it when their cold though otherwise you could risk cracking a disc.

Dust build up is a real problem. My ST wheels are covered in the stuff after a day or two of cleaning them.

Hi,

fiesta 09 style 41,000.

had squeaking for a while, but I think its the rear breaks not the front. Ive had the squeak for well over a year, and its at slow speeds for about a mile, then it goes, often more recurant in the wet damp conditions, but the squeak rattles through the chassis, it actually turns heads, Any way, ive had the drums off and the shoes are FINE,ive changed the pads at front. Which devolped another squeak whilst at low speeds also, but long story short, it was the pads id bought had too much paint on the metal bits at the top and and bottom, so prevented them from being free floating, so took em back out, filed off the paint, bit of grease, solved.
When ive taken the breaks apart I used cleaner for all the above and im still at square one

But the original squeak is still an issue, I read that it was an design fault regarding the change in design cos of asbestos. I didnt think asbestos was an issue nowadays . ? ? So find it unlikely ford would have made such a mistake.

it does seem like theres really no hard and fast reason. I took it to kwik fit....they didnt have a clue, and my mates etc, also have no idea.

my next course kf action is brake fluid change... will post if any thing changes.

Cheers

Not sure what changing the fluid will do about squeaking to be honest.

• 1 year later...

they have just started to squeak now its wet and cold.

what would cleaning the brakes entail?

D.I.Y beginner

• 2 years later...

It may not be the brakes, but brake callipers are known to stick.

Symtom:- Squeaking/squealing noises while driving/accelerating, or more noticeable turning left/right.

There is a nut at each of the suspension lower ball joints, located behind each wheel. One of the nuts was turned the wrong way, touching the wheel plate. Definitely not the wheel bearing as this fault creates high pitch screeching. Wheel bearing is low pitch whining noises. Check the lower suspension behind each wheel.

Have a black edition and they squeak all the time. Seem to do it when there's a lot of dust in them. If you give them a good jet wash when you wash your car it seems to go away for a bit, but mine gets worse after it starts to get dirty.

• 3 weeks later...

I had same problem with mine

its worn brake pads. Mine were 75% worn.

Get New pads and just go light on them for first 1000 mile or so.