Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just finishing up my 'new' Ford Fiesta 1.3

DanFraser

Just bought a beautiful condition Mk3 Ford Fiesta Cayman Ghia, L reg a few weeks ago. To be honest it was almost daylight robbery for £250. Everything is still in great condition aside from 2x 2 square inch rust spots on the front bumper and a couple of little things detailed below which I'll be sorting next student loan day.

There are still a couple of issues that I would like advice on.

1. The boot button only works when the engine is off. This is extremely annoying, but appears to be a 'feature'. Any way to make it always work? Not that important...

2. The passenger side electric window doesn't work. When I press either button, the lights in the dash dim a split second and there is a tiny little noise coming from the door, I can't even describe it. Is this the motor gone? If so, what's the easiest way of replacing it? From the look of the Haynes manual I might just get a new door and paint it instead!! The window regulator and it's assembly appears to require rivets, so it might have to be a replace the whole assembly or have fun with rivets.

3. The passenger door side mirror is also a touch loose. I suspect this was kind of my fault for trying to adjust the mirror because it wouldn't adjust up or down at all, and the springed um, thingy that holds it on and surrounds the operating link is now loose. The haynes manual doesn't actually appear to name the 'springy thing'! Now, looking on eBay, I could buy some electric mirrors (my fiesta being a Ghia version and all, it'd kind of complete the set :) ) but what would be the feasability of fitting these? They would fit physically on the outside, but what about placing the switches?

4. The steering is fine. My shoulder isn't anymore. Having a look through eBay (again!) I could buy a powered steering rack. To save my shoulder, would this be a good choice? Fortunately the haynes manual describes removing and fitting a replacement as easier than the door in #2! Would it fit though?

Now obviously some bits would be cheaper to get from a local scrapyard. But for stuff like power steering racks that could be fun! What/Where would you recommend for getting parts cheap (student prices cheap!) for these parts and any parts possibly needed in the future? This is my first car so really I haven't a clue!

Thanks for your time guys :)

Just bought a beautiful condition Mk3 Ford Fiesta Cayman Ghia, L reg a few weeks ago. To be honest it was almost daylight robbery for £250. Everything is still in great condition aside from 2x 2 square inch rust spots on the front bumper and a couple of little things detailed below which I'll be sorting next student loan day.

There are still a couple of issues that I would like advice on.

1. The boot button only works when the engine is off. This is extremely annoying, but appears to be a 'feature'. Any way to make it always work? Not that important...

2. The passenger side electric window doesn't work. When I press either button, the lights in the dash dim a split second and there is a tiny little noise coming from the door, I can't even describe it. Is this the motor gone? If so, what's the easiest way of replacing it? From the look of the Haynes manual I might just get a new door and paint it instead!! The window regulator and it's assembly appears to require rivets, so it might have to be a replace the whole assembly or have fun with rivets.

3. The passenger door side mirror is also a touch loose. I suspect this was kind of my fault for trying to adjust the mirror because it wouldn't adjust up or down at all, and the springed um, thingy that holds it on and surrounds the operating link is now loose. The haynes manual doesn't actually appear to name the 'springy thing'! Now, looking on ebay, I could buy some electric mirrors (my fiesta being a Ghia version and all, it'd kind of complete the set :) ) but what would be the feasability of fitting these? They would fit physically on the outside, but what about placing the switches?

4. The steering is fine. My shoulder isn't anymore. Having a look through ebay (again!) I could buy a powered steering rack. To save my shoulder, would this be a good choice? Fortunately the haynes manual describes removing and fitting a replacement as easier than the door in #2! Would it fit though?

Now obviously some bits would be cheaper to get from a local scrapyard. But for stuff like power steering racks that could be fun! What/Where would you recommend for getting parts cheap (student prices cheap!) for these parts and any parts possibly needed in the future? This is my first car so really I haven't a clue!

Thanks for your time guys :)

Oooh any pictures? :P

3. The passenger door side mirror is also a touch loose. I suspect this was kind of my fault for trying to adjust the mirror because it wouldn't adjust up or down at all, and the springed um, thingy that holds it on and surrounds the operating link is now loose. The haynes manual doesn't actually appear to name the 'springy thing'! Now, looking on ebay, I could buy some electric mirrors (my fiesta being a Ghia version and all, it'd kind of complete the set :) ) but what would be the feasability of fitting these? They would fit physically on the outside, but what about placing the switches?

4. The steering is fine. My shoulder isn't anymore. Having a look through ebay (again!) I could buy a powered steering rack. To save my shoulder, would this be a good choice? Fortunately the haynes manual describes removing and fitting a replacement as easier than the door in #2! Would it fit though?

A little bumpage in the works, but for good reason...

The mirrors, does anyone know where I can find the inner door trim (where the manual mirror adjustment is) for an electric version? I can only find mirrors that are the external parts with the cable and switch, none of the interior trim associated with them!

And the steering rack, as long as it's for a MK3 it should fit shouldn't it? I've read some seirously vague stuff about having to change the steering column attachment to the rack as well.

dan a scrappy will be your best bet i have a 95 lx 1.3 and i get most my spares from auto salvage and scrappys