Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Does Your Mondeo Diesel Idle At?

Z3 MON

So the question I'm asking is:

What does yours idle at on cold, and what does it idle at once warmed?

Your Probs thinking where am I going with this but basically on mine if just lightly lean my foot on the pedal, ta da it stops hunting so I'm thinking maybe its set wrong ???

Cheers,

Dave

I knew it haha mine isles at 720-760 (its hunting) and idled at 1000 this morning with snow everywhere.

So how do I adjust the idle on these beasts??

mine idles just over 800rpm when cold and exactly 800 rpm when warm but i have notice since the problem with my slightly leaking injector that the engine is hunting slightly though and when under driving load it starts to rattle on the injector then soon as i give it a boost off the turbo it goes in to limp mode.

has for ajusting your idle im not sure i think you have to go to garage and put the car on the laptop to ajust it but if its idling low could you have a faulty airflow metre as i think that can cause idling problems.

you can try giving the airflow metre a clean with cotton buds and thinners but be very carefull not to break the elements inside it no harm giving it a try 10min job !!

john

I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how I get on

Although I'm more leaning towards the likley hood of it being a stretched cable. My brother had the same sort of issue on his focus so no idea why I didn't think of it till now lol

Although I'm more leaning towards the likley hood of it being a stretched cable. My brother had the same sort of issue on his focus so no idea why I didn't think of it till now lol

Theres no accelerater cable on mondeos its a electronic non sure on what you call it though

john

Hmm ok might be a bit hard to adjust the cable then lol

Could this be a coil pack issue ??

Not on a diesel, no coil pack

Is there an equivalent to a coil pack??

No as there is no source of ignition an a diesel, it fire on compreession, the only source of heat outside that is the glow plugs which are only really needed to help starting in very cold temps, the modern high pressure fuel systems like Tdci dont need them for normal starting

Thing that will will cause poor idleing range from dirty air cleaner, dirty fuel filter, fuel system pressure, MAF, TDC sensors, faulty injectors, leaky exhust manifold dirty EGR valve, splits in the many and various vacuum pipes to name but a few

Ok, sorry I've never had a diesel before, I studied mechanics but this was all petrol based. There is clearly a miss fire on it now. I have so far: cleared egr, use BG244, checked the injectors for leakage, checked oil. Checked air filter. The oil is a bit dirty as is the air filter but it was apparently serviced 3000 miles ago???

oil on a diesel will be dirty as soon as you turn the engine over after the oil change, the important thing is that its not gritty, the air filter shouldnt be that dirty in 3000 miles is thet dust dirty or oily dirty, if its oily dirty you have possible a breather or crankcase pressure prob

It's black but there was also a lot of leaves ect in there(air box/filter) Although I did notice some grease/oil from the pipe that goes from the crank case to the induction system. Even if I hold it at 2000rpm you still get a noticeable miss fire although its worse on idle by a fair bit.

Oil on a diesel will be dirty as soon as you turn the engine over after the oil change

Not if you run a cheap oil through before you fill with the good stuff.

And if you don't trust "cheap" oil, Paynes of Hinkley sell Genuine Ford fully synthetic oil at a really good price.

I buy 20 liters at a time.

Currently £62.26 delivered.

BTW. My Mondeo is supposed to take 6 liters but all I seem to get in on oil and filter changes is 5-ish.

Anyone else got this?

Not if you run a cheap oil through before you fill with the good stuff.

BTW. My Mondeo is supposed to take 6 liters but all I seem to get in on oil and filter changes is 5-ish.

Anyone else got this?

The oil will still be dirty unless you do it 2 or 3 times and then it will be dirty in about 2 mins, as to the amount its very difficult getting the last drops out of the sump

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club