Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mis-Sold Spec ?

Chris Duggins

NOT the end of the world but recently purchased a 2002 1.6 GHIA for my wife. eBay ad, from small dealer said it had ABS and ESP. Asked my mechanic to look her over and he reported

that there were NO ABS sensors on her so I would have thought ESP was a load of tosh also.

I'm a Vauxhall man so don't know enough about FORD....has the car been mis-sold to me. In fairness we won't care as she is a fantastic car in any event but it would be usefull to know.

I

NOT the end of the world but recently purchased a 2002 1.6 GHIA for my wife. Ebay ad, from small dealer said it had ABS and ESP. Asked my mechanic to look her over and he reported

that there were NO ABS sensors on her so I would have thought ESP was a load of tosh also.

I'm a Vauxhall man so don't know enough about FORD....has the car been mis-sold to me. In fairness we won't care as she is a fantastic car in any event but it would be usefull to know.

I

Hi Chris,

best advise i can give is to log on to ford etis http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=4C6176747B3B5BD66B1371D6B1C133EE.eccvas502

put in the reg of the vehicle and it will display a full spec of the car from ford records,

and gererally the ghia model is the highest spec available.

hope this helps

I think I've seen the same model as yours with ABS and as Lenny says the Ghia is the highest spec so it should have it.

A simple test on an open piece of empty tarmac in the wet will answer it for you. Brake very purposefully and you should feel, it, it definitely shouldn't skid.

Don't think there are many Focuses without ABS but as it wasn't compulsory until 2004 I wouldn't be surprised that smaller-engined models only had it as an option (the 1.6 Ghia was always a lesser spec than 1.8 & 2.0 Ghia models.

In the UK and Europe, ESP had only started to be introduced in 2002 and was only available as an option on certain models. Traction control (essentially a more basic version of ESP) was more common but on Focuses was only standard on 2.0 and TD models.

Please don't try what the poster above suggests! That's like driving into a wall to see if your car has an airbag!

LOL ! Thank you for your advise all.

Put it this way, on Thursday, in the snow, I broke and she slid beautifully...with no judder..UNLIKE

my 3.0 Litre Omega which shudders like crazy with VX ABS working overtime to try to stop my barge.

By the sound of it skidding like that then I may not have it. It's meant to stop skidding like that!

As regards to likening what I said to driving into a wall to test the airbag, that's completely ridiculous.

An open piece of Tarmac (note I did not say road) such as an empty car park is fine for this. Somewhere at low speed but enough for a small skid, where even if you did skid you wouldn't have any chance of hitting anything as there should be nothing around.

An empty area like that at low speed is completely safe so long as your going as slow as possible for a small skid.

As regards to likening what I said to driving into a wall to test the airbag, that's completely ridiculous.

You don't know what other people's abilities and perceptions of speed are like so should avoid against deliberately trying to encourage anyone to invoke a skid at any speed.

Even a low speed skid has the potential to cause injury or damage and to try and say otherwise is irresponsible.

Id say it was Mis-Sold since specifiction mentioned and actual specifiction was different and i assume they didnt tell you this before u collected/accepted the car

That's correct Volts...but honestly it's ok. 1.6 2002 Ghia with full leather, spotless bodywork...it really is a fantastic car for my wife to drive...AND that's coming from a 20 year long Vauxhallite.

When my Omega 3.0 dies I'll seriously look at Ford again.....but would be looking for a lot more horses....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club