Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bizarre Engine Start Up And Other..

SamandMark

Hi everyone. We have just recently purchased our 2006 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium Hatchback. (It is under warranty for 3 mths, but wondered if anyone can give us any idea on what the problem could be before taking it back to the garage to be looked at)

It has covered 56,675 miles, with FSH.

When we start the engine (cold) its fine. When we turn off the engine and turn it back on again (when the engine has warmed up) we are experiencing a delay in the engine starting. It fires, but there is no throttle response but after a period of time (5 to 20 seconds) the engine comes to life, ticking over properly.

We have also found the engine noise to be quite loud, compared to our last mondeo (which we part ex'd for this one, that one was a 2.2 ST Estate 54 plate)

The last thing we are experiencing with it, from time to time, it is impossible to get in to reverse gear (no grinding or anything, it just locks, like there is no gear there for it to go in to!)

Thanks all for your help/advice in advance.

Sam and Mark.

Hi Sam and Mark, this is sounding suspiciously like the dreaded Dual mass flywheel issue i'm afraid... Your symptoms sound EXACTLY the same as the problem i had with my last focus (2002 TDCI 1.8) After many months of head scratching, the flywheel fiinally let go (taking the clutch with it), and i had a £900 bill for the repairs (no warranty, private sale) I'd suggest mentioning the Dual mass flywheel (DMF) to your dealer sooner rather than later... They may try to fob you off hoping the car still runs ok till the warranty has expired...

Try googling "dual mass flywheel, Ford mondeo/focus" and read up on more symptoms, it may give you a clue as to what's going on with your motor.

Best of luck.

Hi Sam and Mark, this is sounding suspiciously like the dreaded Dual mass flywheel issue i'm afraid... Your symptoms sound EXACTLY the same as the problem i had with my last focus (2002 TDCI 1.8) After many months of head scratching, the flywheel fiinally let go (taking the clutch with it), and i had a £900 bill for the repairs (no warranty, private sale) I'd suggest mentioning the Dual mass flywheel (DMF) to your dealer sooner rather than later... They may try to fob you off hoping the car still runs ok till the warranty has expired...

Try googling "dual mass flywheel, Ford mondeo/focus" and read up on more symptoms, it may give you a clue as to what's going on with your motor.

Best of luck.

Hi BigDaddyCain,

Thanks so much for your input. This is what my hubby thought it possibly was :( I'm going to nip to Ford with it this afternoon, explain to them, see if they would kindly give me a print out of parts recommended (which they did for free for me on the last Mondeo, the Crank pulley had gone on that) and take that to the dealer, as I guess he'll have to get it sorted if we have in black and white, what is wrong with it.

Thanks again, Sam and Mark.

Well we nipped to TC Harrison's, spoke to the guy there, who had a listen to our car, and it seems its the ECU that needs updating!? Went to see the garage where we had it from, he's having it in next week, and will get the issue sorted, fingers crossed this is the end to the problem. Still wondering about the Flywheel though. Hubby did mention this too the garage, they don't think that's what the problem is (suprise suprise) but we will see.

Hi Sam and Mark,

Keep us posted on the outcome of the ECU upgrade as several of us have similar issues.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Sam and Mark,

Keep us posted on the outcome of the ECU upgrade as several of us have similar issues.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Will definately keep you posted. We had the ECU problem on a previous Mondeo we owned (55 plate) I don't doubt that it's not the ECU that needs updating, but definately think there is more to the problem :( I have wrote a list for the garage, to have a look at when it goes in (which won't be until mid, late next week) plus it has now started to have the problem with start up when its cold (this started yesterday and is continuing)

Thanks,

Sam and Mark.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club