Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Idle Problem

craigdavis23

I recently bought a 1999 mk1 ford focus 1.6 zetec. The car revs sometimes go up and down and level out. Once it levels out it idles just a bit lower then it should and the the car judders. The car doesn't cut out and it drives lovely with no power loss. I've cleaned the iacv and also when I unplug the maf sensor the revs return to the correct idle and its fine until I plug it back in and the revs drop and the car judders. Could it be the idle air control valve or the mass air flow sensor.

I agree with stoney, try cleaning the Maf sensor with carb cleaner and a soft brush. Be EXTREMLEY gentle as they break easy.

Dave

I cleaned the Maf sensor and was still having the same problem. So I had a look around and found a collapsed air hose. I wiggled it a bit and the engine almost cut out so I've found the problem. Its located behind the inlet manifold and its shaped like a T. I think its called the pcv valve and the two hoses that connect to it and bend round into the engine are collapsed and one has a tiny split and is hissing. Any ideas where I can get the two hoses that connect to the valve from.

I agree with stoney, try cleaning the Maf sensor with carb cleaner and a soft brush. Be EXTREMLEY gentle as they break easy.

Dave

Never use carb cleaner. Only ever use electrical contact cleaner. The carb cleaner will eat at the platinum in the sensor.

• 2 years later...

I cleaned the Maf sensor and was still having the same problem. So I had a look around and found a collapsed air hose. I wiggled it a bit and the engine almost cut out so I've found the problem. Its located behind the inlet manifold and its shaped like a T. I think its called the pcv valve and the two hoses that connect to it and bend round into the engine are collapsed and one has a tiny split and is hissing. Any ideas where I can get the two hoses that connect to the valve from.

Thank you! After some searching on google to find a diagnosis to this problem I found this thread. This is exactly what is wrong with mine and after a month of dealing with this I will be changing out these hoses in the morning! Both hoses going into that T on mine are worn out and need to be replaced.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club