Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Removal, Priming, Painting And Refitting Of Bonnet Lip!

TDCiST

Hello guys please find attached the guide for all your bonnet lip needs!!

This guide will also help those who want to Vinyl Wrap the lip, just ignore the painting bit!

Hope it helps

Dave

Guide Bonnet Lip Removal.pdf

• Like 1

Hello guys please find attached the guide for all your bonnet lip needs!!

This guide will also help those who want to Vinyl Wrap the lip, just ignore the painting bit!

Hope it helps

Dave

Very Nice job Dave,

i will use this guide myself in the future to carbon wrap the bonnet lip. i also like the way you mosaqued the reg plates to your advantage B)

• 4 months later...

Just thought id thank you for this before i head out to get the goods!

Cheers Paddy!!

Just be very careful with the sticky stuff!! and watch for breaking clips!

If your gentle and patient you'll be fine!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave!

Thanks for this guide - looks awesome and makes it look easy!

I'm gonna use this to do my two fog light surrounds!

I have a few questions though, having never done this before!!

For the 2 surrounds, how much spray / laquer will i need? 1 x 300ml can? (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_181797_langId_-1_categoryId_165505)

Also, before i annoy the misses (again!!) - is this job suitable for the kitchen table or does the spray go EVERYWHERE?

Cheers again bud! :D

Thanks alot buddy, needed something like this before I wrap my bonnet lip, your a star mate :)

Hi Dave!

Thanks for this guide - looks awesome and makes it look easy!

I'm gonna use this to do my two fog light surrounds!

I have a few questions though, having never done this before!!

For the 2 surrounds, how much spray / laquer will i need? 1 x 300ml can? (http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165505)

Also, before i annoy the misses (again!!) - is this job suitable for the kitchen table or does the spray go EVERYWHERE?

Cheers again bud! :D

I'd get a 500ml can of primer, paint and Laquer... that should be plenty... you can always use whats left to colour code something else afterwards ;)

and do it outside or in your garage, (or if your lucky like me, in your work's workshop!!) as its not necessrily the spray that goes everywhere, but the smell!!

Where abouts in Herts are you mate??

Thanks alot buddy, needed something like this before I wrap my bonnet lip, your a star mate :)

Thats ok mate!!

Glad its of help!! Just be so so so careful taking it off!! patience is the key here lol!

Thats ok mate!!

Glad its of help!! Just be so so so careful taking it off!! patience is the key here lol!

In light of recent grill changing-bonnet no longer opening Focus upgrading, may leave this mod until next month :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've started this today.

If anyone's wondering what it looks like with the strip off...

IMAG0515.jpg

Photos on Saturday.

Looks better already ;) lol

Good luck!! Just take it nice and slow! And don't rush the laquer like I did!! I had to do mine again!!!

Looks better already ;) lol

Good luck!! Just take it nice and slow! And don't rush the laquer like I did!! I had to do mine again!!!

It does look miles better!

I was debating cleaning the gunk off, filling the gaps and just leaving it like that.. it'll make the car lighter too!

I'm planning on leaving the primer to dry for 24 hours, then paint black, 24 hours, then laquer then wait about 72hours before fitting - should be ok shouldn't it?

Also, it'll probably look !Removed! because of this...:

chipinstrip.jpg

i've tried sanding it LOADS but it just isn't going down. I don't understand how it doesn't go away, but it doesnt! So it'll just have a small chip in the black! If it looks awful, there's replacements on the bay for £20..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110900408997?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOCUS-2008-2009-MK3-CHROME-BONNET-TRIM-LIP-MOULDING-ZETEC-SPORT-GHIA-1-8TDCI-/280743595965?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D716619456408255037%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1016%26rk%3D1%26

• 2 months later...

How important is it to use a hairdryer or heat gun? I don't have access to anywhere where I can get a hairdyer out to my car as it's in the middle of a car park. Would it be possible to remove it without or would I just end up breaking it and need a new one?

You can remove it and heat is essential to stretch the wrap and make it stick properly.

Others here will advise on removal.

I meant removing the lip itself without heat. I use a hairdryer when wrapping parts, because that I can do inside. The guide suggests using hairdryer or heat gun to remove the bonnet lip itself but I can't bring my car anywhere near a socket. So I was wondering how essential the hairdryer was to removing the bonnet lip or if I could try to remove the lip without using heat.

Oxide mate I would have thought you need to use heat when removing the lip to warm up/melt the adhesive to make it easier to prise off with the screwdriver. Same way when I de-badged, I had to heat up the adhesive with the Missus's hairdryer so I was able to cut through it with dental floss. If I hadn't of heated it, it would probably have been stuck on tight n not budged, or ended up ripping some of the paintwork off with it.

You may be able to just wedge a screwdriver behind the lip n very gently n carefully jimmy it off by slowly working the screwdriver up the back of it. But you may risk snapping it if they are fragile.

Got 3 options I suppose, 1) risk it n be very careful n gentle with screwdriver 2) if you have a spare 20quid, buy a new lip n just rip your existing one off 3) invest in a very long extension lead ;)

Found a mate who lives locally with a garage that I can get into so I can actually get a hairdryer to my car. Hopefully getting this one done in the next few weeks.

Found a mate who lives locally with a garage that I can get into so I can actually get a hairdryer to my car. Hopefully getting this one done in the next few weeks.

Ah fair play mate. Knew you'd find a way round it. Reckon you'll paint it or wrap it?

I think paint, although wrapping it would then match my new badges.

I think paint, although wrapping it would then match my new badges.

Would be more permanent to paint obviously so would be better to, but then it'll cost you about 30quid for the primer, paint, lacquer n sandpaper. You'll also have to drive round for 3 days with your bonnet looking minging lol.

But if you wrap it, it'll match your badges which will look sexy, n there's no need to wait 3 days for it to dry, just wrap it n whack it on your car. Plus if you've still got a strip of wrap left it'll cost you nothing n save 30quid over painting.

Do you reckon your confident enough to spray it mate?

sorry all,

missed the thread completely!!

Hairdryer is pretty essential, i wouldnt want to risk removal without it as its !Removed! sticky stuff!! looks like youve got it sorted now anyway!

Good luck mate!