Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Does This Warning Light Mean?

Evolve

I have an '06 tdci focus and today a warning light popped up on the dash. It is a circular cog with an exclamation mark in the centre of it. Unfortunately there was no owners manual in the car when I bought it so I don't know what the light is referring to. I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed any light?

• Like 1

tracksion control light i think you need to switch it off

somewhere on the dash

"Engine Systems Fault Warning light"

Quoted from the Manual

"If it illuminates when driving, it indicates a malfunction of the engine

and powertrain system. Stop the vehicle as soon as safety as possible and

switch of the engine immediately. Have the engine checked by a expert."

Thanks for the replies.

According to Stoney's link it is the power train warning light:

Vehicles with a 5-speed manual transmission or Durashift EST

If the powertrain warning lamp comes on when the engine is running, this indicates a malfunction. The engine will continue to run but it will have limited power. Have this checked as soon as possible.

If the powertrain warning lamp flashes when the engine is running, this indicates a malfunction. Stop your vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so. Have this checked before continuing your journey.

So something up with the gearbox I guess? Or does power train include the engine? Gearbox is working fine. Engine is due a dpf replacement but I've been ignoring that! Hope this isn't expensive, will get it checked out...

Have you tried the Dashboard trick to read of the DTC codes. Will give better idea what the issue is.

Yes I checked, no dtc's logged on it unfortunately. Just drove it 60miles and it's driving fine. Will get it scanned tomorrow.

• 7 months later...

hi all, hope someone can help. a couple of months back i started getting this light appear whenever i turned ignition on and would sometimes stay on for a week or so then next day it would be off but within a day or so it would be back on again.

i have a focus 2005 1.6 tdci

any ideas what would cause it? its not a flashing light but a solid red light

Engine systems fault.

Do you get any messages on the screen at start up?

When was the car last serviced?

need codes to continue with this further could be anything.

it doesn't have codes on screen as my Focus does not have a screen, only shows mileage etc

the powerttain light (cog with exclamation mark) will show even if engine is not on, just ignition. but as i say it sometimes doesn't show at all. its not in limited power or anything like that and car seems to drive normally and sounds normal.

what sort of faults could this light indicate?

could be any sensor related to the power train if im honest. its one of those errors where you may need it hooking up to a scanner for a full diagnosis.

my sister just had this fault a few weeks back on her 1.4tdci. i scanned it with the dealer tool as no DTC's were logged on the cluster and the scanner come back cylinder 2 shorted or grounded. turned out it was an error caused by a fuel sensor.

is this something that needs to be done at Fordm or would most mechanics have tools to diagnose?

ford will have the proper diagnosis tools to scan your car but typical garages have scanners that will get codes if logged on the ECU.

When mine came on it was glow plugs and glow plug relay

Mine is still coming on every once in a while. Had it scanned properly yesterday and it said the same thing, glow plugs or glow plug relay. But I'm pretty sure I have a turbo leak somewhere as it's making a 'whooshing' sound under acceleration which sounds like it's coming from on top/in front of the dash. Mechanic said this could be causing the warning light. Also it's chucking out a bit more smoke than usual (it's a diesel), so would this mean it's burning more fuel? And would this too indicate a turbo leak?

Are there any 'usual suspect' areas where the turbo system develops leaks? It's a 1.6tdci

check the thick rubber air intake tube. mine had a split on the inside of the 90 degree bend, couldnt visually see it but when pushed my finger went straight in. made a sound like the blowers were coming on when giving some throttle.

check the thick rubber air intake tube. mine had a split on the inside of the 90 degree bend, couldnt visually see it but when pushed my finger went straight in. made a sound like the blowers were coming on when giving some throttle.

Thanks mate, I'll give that a look in the morning.

I had to have the glow plugs and glow plug relay changed. Had just bought mine so was done for free I would try glow plugs first before the relay though mate cheapest option

• 1 month later...

Mine is still coming on every once in a while. Had it scanned properly yesterday and it said the same thing, glow plugs or glow plug relay. But I'm pretty sure I have a turbo leak somewhere as it's making a 'whooshing' sound under acceleration which sounds like it's coming from on top/in front of the dash. Mechanic said this could be causing the warning light. Also it's chucking out a bit more smoke than usual (it's a diesel), so would this mean it's burning more fuel? And would this too indicate a turbo leak?

Are there any 'usual suspect' areas where the turbo system develops leaks? It's a 1.6tdci

That wooshing when accelerating sounds like an issue I had recently, which turned out to be the manifold gasket. Was fairly cheap to fix that.

• 2 months later...

I have had the same problem with my 1.6TDCi. I was told by a mechanic that my DPF needed topping up, so I took it to the nearest Ford garage (Arnold Clark). Diagnostics cost £99, to top up the DPF a further £192, but the light didn't go off. They're now telling me it needs new glow plugs, which will be £163 for parts alone and they say it will be a BIG job (meaning lots more for labour!). Is this excessive?

I have had the same problem with my 1.6TDCi. I was told by a mechanic that my DPF needed topping up, so I took it to the nearest Ford garage (Arnold Clark). Diagnostics cost £99, to top up the DPF a further £192, but the light didn't go off. They're now telling me it needs new glow plugs, which will be £163 for parts alone and they say it will be a BIG job (meaning lots more for labour!). Is this excessive?

Sounds like they were stabbing the dark if I'm honest. I'd be a bit miffed and take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

Don't know what the new diesels look like, but on my old 1.8 TD Glow plugs was an hour and half max! Also, £163 for glow plugs?! They're about £15 a plug roughly.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club