Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Filter Box Location Question?

chrisb1357

HI all,

I have a 2001 1.2l Freestyle and have been looking for the filter box in the engine bay and i know it sounds stupid but i cannot find it on the right hand side of the engine bay. The manual pictures it here.

Chris

Just had a look and noticed that there is a plastic pipe showen in the image below with the arrows that go's from the front of the car behind the grill to the engine with no filter box on the right hand side. Is this correct for this type of engine.

6911214199_d86b89e05b.jpg

IMG_1990 by chrisb1357, on Flickr

6911214973_e83fd06bbb.jpg

IMG_1992 by chrisb1357, on Flickr

I think you may be missing a filter box.

I'm pretty sure something should be on the end of that pipe.

Am not sure either LOL. The pipe does not have any disconnections and go's stright from the inlet behind the grill to the engine. Have looked on auto trader to see other cars of the same model and it also looks the same but am not 100% sure

Chris

I know its strange. I found a few same models of the car on autotrader last night that had engine bay pics and theres was the same also for a Y Reg.

Any ideas anyone ???

you are definitely missing a filter box. i suspect in the past someone has fitted an induction kit and it has since been taken off and left (common mod).

the actual air intake is normally a long flat air hole mounted on the right hand side of the metal front bulkhead, above the radiator, in the "indentation" where the two holes are in your first pic (just to the right of the plate on the right hand side of the bonnet catch when you are facing the engine)

if you drive anywhere dusty, you will eventually wear out your engine if you dont bang a filter on there, my suggestion is to get said induction kit, since its a simple easy mod.

cheapskate seller should really have left it on since it is technically "part of the car", or put the original filterbox back on it instead.

Where the arrows are in the image it does go from behind the plate in the grill. From the Grill and then that pipe to the engine.

If you look on this listing on AutoTrader at the engine bay image it looks the same as mine. No box on the right just the pipe that go's from behind the plate around the plastic pipe and to the engine bay. Here is a pic of the same model and year from Auto trader

6916780237_14d26ea0bd.jpg

Untitled by chrisb1357, on Flickr

Chris

you are definitely missing a filter box. i suspect in the past someone has fitted an induction kit and it has since been taken off and left (common mod). the actual air intake is normally a long flat air hole mounted on the right hand side of the metal front bulkhead, above the radiator, in the "indentation" where the two holes are in your first pic (just to the right of the plate on the right hand side of the bonnet catch when you are facing the engine) if you drive anywhere dusty, you will eventually wear out your engine if you dont bang a filter on there, my suggestion is to get said induction kit, since its a simple easy mod. cheapskate seller should really have left it on since it is technically "part of the car", or put the original filterbox back on it instead.

Whats under the plastic cover where it says Zetec S?

Another Image from the same type listed on eBay

Arrow on the left is where the inlet comes in next to the plate then it go's down into the engine where the right arrow is.

6916870419_e8a16e09e7.jpg

Untitled2 by chrisb1357, on Flickr

Has anyone got a haynes manual that they could check for me. year of the car is 2001 Y Reg

Hi,

I have removed the plastic cover and guest what i have located the airfilter under the zetec s cover.

Chris

Now i need to find the fuel filter LOL

Chris

Reading through the posts I thought that's the air box on top of the engine.The MK 6 and 6.5 1.4 engines was the same but actually on the very top where yours is more on the front.Bit strange why they put them on top with the engines getting hot and air filters needing nice cold air.

I know its strange. Its not so much on top but infront and above. The filter sure does need a change as well by the looks of it. Going off subject but is the fuel filter at the rear of the car and is it inline

Chris

Hi

The Filter Box is not Missing

That Type of Engine has the filter box lower down on the engine which has ((16V ZETEC S))

It took over from the Airbox On The Passenger Side OF The Vehicle which we are all used to.

Jamie