Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Poor Fuel Economy

sarjoruss

I have recently purchased a 2010 1.6tdci titanium with 23,000 on the clock. I bought it to save fuel as I commute 120 miles a day and my 1.6 petrol was costing me approx £90 a week afte doing 39ish to the gallon.

No matter how gently I drive it I cannot get anymore than 52mpg on a run driving as economically as possible. It had a service last Thursday and I asked them to check this out for me. During the service they found that the plastic piece that bolts onto the turbo where the air intake pipe tightens on to it is cracked around one of the bolts. They have suggested replacing this part as they think this may be allowing air in at the crack and therefoer causing the poor fuel economy. Unfortunately this part is not available for 10 days so cannot get this sorted very quickly.

Does anyone think that this may be the cause or could it be something else?

I only get 49.9 so I thought I would give Shell V power diesel a go since diesel is so expensive anyway.

OMG thats worse than me!!

I thought these were good for 60mpg?

I get 58.2mpg and that's with bigger alloys and a remap. Before both of these, i was getting 62.5 and i drive quite enthusastically at times.

Mid 50s MPG is typical for everyday driving.

Low fifties round town. Low to mid 60s on a run.

I'm on 41. Lol.

I get 45 from my petrol, I never go near the motorway either :rolleyes:

I have an 09 TDCI (90) Titanium 5 door. I get now calculated at the pump 60mpg. On the computer it usually says 65mpg avg from each fill (I reset after each fill). I also tend to run the tank from full to almost empty.

I typically fill up with around 33 litres of Asda standard diesel fuel. I mainly travel 30 miles each way to work for 70 miles / day (of which 3 miles @30; 4 miles @50, and 23 miles @60).

Note: things that seem to affect economy are: cold temps below 5 degrees C, going up inclines, and how hard you accelerate. I try to feather the accelerator as lightly as possible and keep gear changes at 1.5K to 2K rpm. Then hit the cruise control when I hit the required speed (30 / 50 / 60). This is a bit boring I must admit.

Hope this helps

my summer economy is about 62 but this winter its dropped to 49.7.

defo the cold and possibly poor quality fuel :/

my summer economy is about 62 but this winter its dropped to 49.7.

defo the cold and possibly poor quality fuel :/

I'm in the same boat as you, really good MPG during the summer, but winter it has plummeted to low 50's..

hoping as you've said before after the 1st service it may improve a tad

I'm in the same boat as you, really good MPG during the summer, but winter it has plummeted to low 50's..

hoping as you've said before after the 1st Service it may improve a tad

yes i have *heard* that they reprogram the ECU at 12 months to take account of a bedded in engine, certianly my mpg was straight up by about 5 or 6 on average with no changes in driving versus before the first service.

i know they did it on my dad's volvo diesel (60 plate 1.6)

yes i have *heard* that they reprogram the ECU at 12 months to take account of a bedded in engine, certianly my mpg was straight up by about 5 or 6 on average with no changes in driving versus before the first service.

i know they did it on my dad's volvo diesel (60 plate 1.6)

Hopefully that is the case when it comes to my service..going to pass 11,000 miles on the way home from work today so will need to book it for end of March/early April

That is normal for a diesel. They take longer to get up to temp and are less efficient until they reach temp.

In the winter you use your lights, heater, HRW, etc more which all eat your fuel up. Add into the mix slower traffic in winter (due to ice, more rain, low sun, etc) and the winter will always be bad for MPG.

A service won't fix any of the things I've llisted above!

Like I say, I'm getting mid-fifties mainly at the moment which for the time of year I'm happy with.

I dont know how the heck people are getting 60 odd with the same engine and same diesel as me getting 49.9

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club