Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Instant Fuel Consumption Display

Gary Jones_9364

Hi, I'm new to the forum as I've just bought a 2006 Focus Titanium 2.0 TDCI which I'm very pleased with so far, but after reading through the handbook and playing with the onboard computer it seems that there is no "instant fuel consumption" display on my car.

When I scroll through the options it goes from average consumption to average speed but completely misses out the instant consumption.

Should this feature be available to me or is it not shown on certain models?

As Pidu said, unfortunately it was documented, but never developed on the base firmware. Some dealers may have a modificaiton of the later release of firmware for your computer which may allow you to see the instant fuel consumption, but for the cost of getting it added, there is no benefit. I have it on my current car, and for motorway drives, it gives me an idea of when to ease off the gas a little, but other than that, the numbers are all too high or too low, no fully pledged benefit to having it, but its good to keep you occupied on a 60 miles commute!

I have read about activating instant fuel consumption display on 2005 2.0 TDCI using ELM interface and Russian software. It looks like there is no firmware update required, simply it needs to be turned on. Waiting for info about petrol engines, I'd like to have this feature.

I dont think its quite that easy, primarily because you would need to change the way the computer does things, but if I am wrong I look forward to lots of people seeing the fix and using it!

I dont think its quite that easy, primarily because you would need to change the way the computer does things, but if I am wrong I look forward to lots of people seeing the fix and using it!

I have written about the software here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/30008-guide-fitting-cruise-control-focus-mk2-mk25-and-ford-c-max/page__st__15

post #24 and #27.

Other forum users confirmed they managed to turn on display of instant fuel consumption in 2005/2006 Focus 2.0 TDCI. It was simple - tick proper box and save to the cluster.

Computer has to reads instant fuel consumption although it is not displayed. It has to be done to calculate average consumption, I don't think there is other way to do it. Don't know why Ford didn't activate this function, but it can be done, at least in TDCI, no reports about petrol engines up to now.

my 07 climate has this feature . it usually says 99mpg or something stupid like that ..then when i start driving it gives a true reading .it also automatically reverts to how many miles i have left in the tank when the fuel light comes on ..i'll swop it for the footwell lights ..lol

I Asked the dealer today and the mechanic said you tell me? apparently no one has asked so he isnt sure so when it goes in to get the aircon done he will try .

He did say if u reset the mpg as you move off you get instant mpg but you would have to do that every journey and the dash trick will show the cars mpg in total

i can access mine from the dash menu - average mpg- fuel left till empty- instant fuel- average speed but to be honest i never use any of it - i only do about 7 miles per week and thats on choke so the mpg is high

it usually says 99mpg or something stupid like that ..then when i start driving it gives a true reading

This is not stupid mate. At idle speed consumption is about 0.7-0.8l per hour, some cars still display it as l/100km. When you change measure units to imperial you get 99mpg, as max 2 digits are displayed.

He did say if u reset the mpg as you move off you get instant mpg but you would have to do that every journey and the dash trick will show the cars mpg in total

That is not right, you still get average mpg. When you reset the mpg there is a delay before it shows any figure, but this figure is still average mpg, only from short distance car made since reset was done. You will never see instant fuel consumption in this way.

i only do about 7 miles per week and thats on choke so the mpg is high

Wow, I would sell the car and use taxi :D That would save me a fortune on road tax, insurance, MOT and car value loss :P

true but you don't know where i'm going in those 7 miles lol :rolleyes:

true but you don't know where i'm going in those 7 miles lol :rolleyes:

Taxi can not get there? :D

Easy, none of my business. :) End of OT.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club