Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Diesel Focus - Lack Of Power

thenthornthing

Hello,

I brought a Focus LX TDCI (1.6) 55 reg with 64k miles, from a trader mid-last month.

So far it has been all good, though today I have a problem. Parking up outside a shop I misjudged the distance and ended up hitting the kerb. It was hard enough to scratch my nearside front wheel. Mounting a hill afterwards I noticed a lack of power but thought nothing of it.

Anyway, a tad later my route takes me up a rather large hill (a hill which my Focus would usually manage a decent speed in third or fourth gear, bearing in mind it's a residential area.) I approached the hill in third gear (30mph) and swiftly lost power reducing me to second, and then first gear. I could hardly get the speedo above 10 miles an hour. I had to turn around on the hill, which fortunately lacked traffic due to it being 8am on a Sunday morning.

I'm pretty sure my bump will be the cause, maybe dislodged something? To be honest I've no idea where to look myself, will get my step-dad to have a look when he's up later! But looking for any advice. It's almost like the turbo isn't working at all, but then surely without turbo I'd have more power up the hill?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

How hard was the bump up the kerb?!? It would have to be something pretty severe to do damage I would have thought!

Anyway, could be a few things.. Check to see if any turbo pipes have come off, or pipes to te intercooler... Any boost leak anywhere in the turbo system will cause all of power...

It wasn't very hard, probably about 20mph hit. If that. Maybe it was harder than I thought?

Anyway will check all of that in a mo and get back to you. Thanks

If u hit it at 20mph I'd also get your geometry checked at a tyre garage... You'll most definitely need it adjusting after a "bump" at that speed! Lol

When u say lack of power... Can u still rev it up te rev range or does it stop at say 2000rpm? And not let u go anymore??

Just wondering if hitting something at that speed has knocked a sensor, or something's told the ecu to go into limp mode...

It wasn't very hard, probably about 20mph hit. If that. Maybe it was harder than I thought?

Anyway will check all of that in a mo and get back to you. Thanks

Nathan,

Do me a favour, don’t try and park within a mile of my car, your driving skills need some attention before you hurt yourself or somebody else!

Don’t take that too hard, it’s for your own good.

Take care,

Nathan,

Do me a favour, don’t try and park within a mile of my car, your driving skills need some attention before you hurt yourself or somebody else!

Don’t take that too hard, it’s for your own good.

Take care,

Hi,

Ya you're probably right. I think my driving skills were poor, and I make no denying that what I did was stupid. I was tired at the time, literally only just woken up so that's probably the reason, and yes, my own mistake. Fortunately we live miles apart, so I won't need to park (or try to) near you. Though, we all make mistakes, I don't know you, but I'm sure you have before. I've been driving only 2 years, but this is the first major !Removed!-up I've done. What's done is done, I know i'm a !Removed!, but i'm now trying to fix the problem.

If u hit it at 20mph I'd also get your geometry checked at a tyre garage... You'll most definitely need it adjusting after a "bump" at that speed! Lol

When u say lack of power... Can u still rev it up te rev range or does it stop at say 2000rpm? And not let u go anymore??

Just wondering if hitting something at that speed has knocked a sensor, or something's told the ecu to go into limp mode...

The strange thing is the steering is fine and everything in that sense is ok. Me and my step-dad have been out looking and the turbo pipe has become disconnected and therefore the clip broken, we've cable-tied it up for now (and will get a replacement in the week), but it hasn't fixed the problem. (Pic below)

Starting the engine and revving, when you get to about 2000 revs you hear a strange noise, sort of like there is something in the engine. Anyway, took it out for a spin again and the problem remains. It revs fine, in fact normal. But obviously you're not getting the power. On a hill around my area, down to first gear again with a sort of horrid noise (hard to explain). No black smoke though.

Took home again and lifted the bonnet. Same problem and looks the same. We haven't jacked it up yet, but from looking everything seems connected fine and seems fine. Though sounds slightly unhealthy. lifting the oil cap up, it looks more like exhaust fumes rather than steam coming from there?

I intend to take it to our mechanic tomorrow and maybe see if he can do a diagnostics on it. I don't know a lot about cars, but I think your idea about the ECU and limp mode sounds quite plausible. I guess a reputable garage could reset that?

Oh also no warning lights at all come on.

IMG_0071_1.jpg

Hi,

Ya you're probably right. I think my driving skills were poor, and I make no denying that what I did was stupid. I was tired at the time, literally only just woken up so that's probably the reason, and yes, my own mistake. Fortunately we live miles apart, so I won't need to park (or try to) near you. Though, we all make mistakes, I don't know you, but I'm sure you have before. I've been driving only 2 years, but this is the first major !Removed!-up I've done. What's done is done, I know i'm a !Removed!, but i'm now trying to fix the problem.

The strange thing is the steering is fine and everything in that sense is ok. Me and my step-dad have been out looking and the turbo pipe has become disconnected and therefore the clip broken, we've cable-tied it up for now (and will get a replacement in the week), but it hasn't fixed the problem. (Pic below)

Starting the engine and revving, when you get to about 2000 revs you hear a strange noise, sort of like there is something in the engine. Anyway, took it out for a spin again and the problem remains. It revs fine, in fact normal. But obviously you're not getting the power. On a hill around my area, down to first gear again with a sort of horrid noise (hard to explain). No black smoke though.

Took home again and lifted the bonnet. Same problem and looks the same. We haven't jacked it up yet, but from looking everything seems connected fine and seems fine. Though sounds slightly unhealthy. lifting the oil cap up, it looks more like exhaust fumes rather than steam coming from there?

I intend to take it to our mechanic tomorrow and maybe see if he can do a diagnostics on it. I don't know a lot about cars, but I think your idea about the ECU and limp mode sounds quite plausible. I guess a reputable garage could reset that?

Oh also no warning lights at all come on.

IMG_0071_1.jpg

I am sorry you cocked your car this morning, and yes we all learn by our mistakes, I have made many my self and I hope I have learnt by them. Driving whilst tired is as dangerous as drink driving as you probably now realise, and I am sure you wont do it again.

My comment about parking near me was intended as a joke and I am sorry if it offended you.

Take care and I hope you get your car sorted.

I am sorry you cocked your car this morning, and yes we all learn by our mistakes, I have made many my self and I hope I have learnt by them. Driving whilst tired is as dangerous as drink driving as you probably now realise, and I am sure you wont do it again.

My comment about parking near me was intended as a joke and I am sorry if it offended you.

Take care and I hope you get your car sorted.

Yes, I won't be doing that again in a hurry. And that's ok :) None taken

It could be that the turbo pipe isn't making a proper seal anymore... So you'll still be getting a leak. If u have no warning lights then limp mode probably hasn't kicked in...

Can u explain the noise a bit more?? I hope it's not the turbo breaking or broken up... :s

It could be that the turbo pipe isn't making a proper seal anymore... So you'll still be getting a leak. If u have no warning lights then limp mode probably hasn't kicked in...

Can u explain the noise a bit more?? I hope it's not the turbo breaking or broken up... :s

Nope no lights at all, so that's that discounted.

Right so first step really would be to get that pipe replaced? Thing is it never looked like it had a brilliant seal anyway, though I guess it's better than our attempted seal.

The noise when driving is like something is rattling around a bit, maybe metal. When stationary revving, it sounds like there is maybe something in their. Just sounds like metal or something floating around. Or like it's not getting enough oil or something (though there is enough oil in there)

Does the sound come from the turbo or from further down the pipe? Do u have an intercooler on your car?

Can you post a photo of where the noise appears to be coming from ?

Does the sound come from the turbo or from further down the pipe? Do u have an intercooler on your car?

Around the turbo area, it's hard to actually tell specifically where it is coming from. I'd say nearer the turbo. Ya. There is an intercooler in there yes

Sounds like a vibrating heat shield to me ?

...... That's sounds to me like a not very well turbo...... :s

The whine is more what I'd be worried about...

Sounds like a vibrating heat shield to me ?
Did that not sound ear shatteringly loud? Everything looks so securely in place?

...... That's sounds to me like a not very well turbo...... :s

Dammit. Those words I didn't want to hear. £400 plus down the drain then. :(

Well I'll get the official word from the mechanic tomorrow, I know it'll agree with you. It's very annoying to think that 2 seconds of lack of judgement (i.e me hitting the kerb) has caused me to need a new turbo!

I doubt just hitting the kerb caused it... The 1.6tdci is known for its turbo issues..

My guess is that it may have been abused before u bought it...

My car has developed the similar whine, which I'm gonna get checked out as soon as I can...

The main issue is oil starvation to the turbo, which is caused by the oil feed pipes blocking up

Keep us all informed of whatever is up with it!

Can't you take the turbo pipe off and check the impellor shaft for any play - try and lift it up and down and see if you can pull it backwards and forward to check for excessive end float. Rotate it by hand to see if it feels rough to turn suggesting bearing failure.

oil in the turbo is also not a good sign as this could indicate seal failure.

Another thing to check....

U mentioned the pipe had broken, check to see if anything is floating around in the pipes or intercooler itself...

This may be causing the rattling...

Can't you take the turbo pipe off and check the impellor shaft for any play - try and lift it up and down and see if you can pull it backwards and forward to check for excessive end float. Rotate it by hand to see if it feels rough to turn suggesting bearing failure.

Oil in the turbo is also not a good sign as this could indicate seal failure.

I will have a look at this tomorrow (Just leaving for work now) and have a play, if not will see if I can get it into the garage.

Thanks very much for your help both of you :) I'll keep you up-to-date with developments!

20 mph into a kerb is a crash not a bump.

You are near me so please don't park next to either of my cars. (you can't miss one of them, it stands out like a big yellow and blue beacon) copper.gif

It sounds like turbo to me! I had the same problem! My car was fine one Minuit then the next, loss of power and a whining noise when turbo spinning up. It could be compleatley coincidental that The turbo has gone after your "accident" When I say turbo gone I mean the bearings worn, due to lack of oil supply. If you replace the turbo be sure to replace the oil pipe too!!

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon!

Tomo 2001 what does it mean when there is a little oil in the turbo? I have a little on the induction side of the turbo? Think it has come from the cam cover breather pipe. Would that be normal? What oil seal would it be? The oil feeding the bearings? I had a new oil feeder pipe fitted when the turbo was fitted.

20 mph into a kerb is a crash not a bump.

You are near me so please don't park next to either of my cars. (you can't miss one of them, it stands out like a big yellow and blue beacon) copper.gif

I think I exagerrated the speed, maybe 10mph, it was certainly not as bad as I first thought, and I don't believe the real cause of the problem. I try and avoid parking near any police vehicles, I really really wouldn't want to hit one!!!! It was a complete misjudgement in this situation, as soon as I realised I hit the kerb I sorted it and the problem didn't start until a couple of mins after.

I mean, thinking about it, my speed couldn't have been fast at all. If it had been a big a bump as I thought the steering or tracking would surely have buggered up?

I'll check the pipe tomorrow morning to see if there's any foreign objects in there.

I think I exagerrated the speed, maybe 10mph, it was certainly not as bad as I first thought, and I don't believe the real cause of the problem. I try and avoid parking near any police vehicles, I really really wouldn't want to hit one!!!! It was a complete misjudgement in this situation, as soon as I realised I hit the kerb I sorted it and the problem didn't start until a couple of mins after.

I mean, thinking about it, my speed couldn't have been fast at all. If it had been a big a bump as I thought the steering or tracking would surely have buggered up?

I'll check the pipe tomorrow morning to see if there's any foreign objects in there.

My goodness those pedals do make a lot of noise when wound backwards. :P

Don't worry nathan, we all do things which we wish we didn't.

You should see the state of my last work car - shot to pieces (as in suspension, wheels and gearbox ruined).

It had a hard life - nothing to do with the fact it was a Vauxhall (spit). :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club