Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need New Wishbone.

ajt

Just thought I'd update, two years on and the arms are still going strong, just passed MOT (one advisory on NS Front Shock, slightly wet?)

good work there dude, quality carnt be that bad then, 2 years and still strong.... mine were totally perished both fronts fitted at new i think, and only 5yrs old.....

Thanks for the update on this thread ajt. I am now in the same position. The front wishbone rear bushes have failed due to excessive play. I was going to replace just the bushes, but on closer inspection of the Haynes manual, it recommends that the replacement of bushes should be left to a ford dealer, as they need to be replace to specific settings using special spacers and tools. So I took them back to my motor factors for a refund and got a price for both wishbone arms (£149 plus the VAT). Not a bad price to be fair, but I've just had to fork out for 4 new tyres (£215), A Cambelt change, service and MOT (£313 after a 25% discount voucher from Halfrauds Autocentre). So understandably I want to keep the remaining parts cost as low as possible.

Now, when changing the cam belt, the muppets at Halfrauds realised that they needed a tool to sort the timing out properly which they did not have (why they don't have this tool anyway I do not know), So they waited until 4.15 on a Saturday afternoon to tell me this news, bearing in mind they close at 4.30, so basically they can't do anything about it until Monday, and I'm left with no car, F*$@ing idiots!!!!

So I have the task now of sourcing new suspension arms as there is no way that I will give them anymore of my money. They even had the audacity to give me a price of £327, YES £327!!!!! to replace both arms, I just laughed and told them they're joking if I'm gonna pay that.

As Im sourcing these parts myself my question is, which balljoint diameter 18 or 21mm? I have a mk2 2005 1.6 petrol Titanium. Does anybody with the same car know which one to get? as I don't have my car to check. Cheers

For the fact they didn't know they needed a timing tool is a good enough reason not to use them! I'm guessing they can't just plug their code reader in for a cambelt change.. That's a about all they like doing.

• Like 1

youre brave i wouldnt let Halfords change a bulb mate let alone go near my engine

• Like 2

In Redditch, Worcestershire mate, why?

Just I have both sets available so could have tried them both

The car is still at the garage, mate.

@stef123 & artscot79

I know, I would never use Halfrauds or Kwik Fit, but the other garages that I got quotes from were 1) just as expensive as Halfords and 2) unrated, so I didn't have any referrals to go by. Also, my brothers missus, works at Halfords HQ in Redditch and she gave me a 25% off voucher, which did knock a hefty chunk off the bill.

Unfortunately, this is the trouble I'm having more and more often, I just cannot find a good garage in my local area. I've had so many incidents happen with my cars with garages, one place lost the centre cap on one of my wheels on my astra and denied it, another garage didn't tighten my wheel nuts up properly after they changed tyres. Luckily I noticed before I hit the motorway, Another garage changed the clutch and dmd on my mk1 focus and it's never been right since, I keep having to push it to the right when I take it out of 5th gear!! and those instances are to name but a few. It's put me right off, and if there is anything at all that I can do myself, I will (with the very limited range of tools I have). Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start with a cam belt change as I don't have the equipment, though I would LOVE a hydraulic lift in my garage :D. OOOh how I envy you Edd China!!!!!

In Redditch? Where about? I grew up in Redditch and still got family there.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

@Nighthawk

I live in Winyates East mate. Don't suppose you know any good garages in the area ;).

Is it easy enough to measure the balljoint? I need to order the suspension arms, and I've just rang up Halfrauds to get the measurements and they said that they can't give me the measurements without removing the old arm??? Is this correct?? Can't I just go there and measure the balljoint?

oh god, I wish I never bothered taking it there in the first place. What a bunch of monkeys!!!!

You need to undo the 21mm bolt on the ball joint and then try and get the ball joint away thread out of the hole, maby a good wack with a hammer if you don't have a ball joint tool, then you need to measure the biggest part of the taper and you need it to measure 18mm or 21mm

If you can't get it out, loosen the other bolts that hold the arm in place, 18 mm and two 15mm bolts

Loosen them off and then wack the ball joint out of the hole.

Cheers dm2004, I've ordered the parts now so thats my job for this Friday. Its a !Removed! good job we have a bank holiday weekend coming up!! In case anyone has to do this job and has the same car as me (2005 mk2 1.6 Titanium Focus) then the ball joint size they need is an 18mm not the 22mm ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi I am taking my focus to my local garage tomorrow, to get the lower arm on my front suspension replaced.£100, compared to main dealer price!!!!

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to bump an old thread as i have a similar conundrum with my MOT due very soon, my car went in for a service recently and they highlighted that the front Wishbone bushes had significant play in them and both wishbones would need to be replaced, they also said that one of the rear trailing arm bushes could do with replacing so i'll get them to do both sides.

Was you happy with the wishbones that you bought from the eBay seller, did the bushes last well and can you confirm that it's the wishbones below as i basically bookmarked your original eBay link and they are still selling them, not sure if the eBay seller is still getting them from the same supplier or not these days

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK2-2005-FOCUS-C-MAX-CMAX-2-LOWER-WISHBONE-SUSPENSION-ARMS-NEW-/330647086577?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord|Model%3AFocus|Plat_Gen%3AMK+II&hash=item4cfc1a25f1&utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals&clk_rvr_id=1205732474601&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

My car is a 2008 Ford Focus 1.8 petrol Titanium.

Cheers

is yours definitely 19mm? my 2008 is 21mm. just changed my NS control arm at the weekend, pretty easy stuff and made a huge difference to the ride.

I've no idea to be honest Dee as i'm certainly no mechanic, how would i found out if mine are 19mm or 21mm or what the correct size is ?

I used that drop down menu on the eBay link and selected Ford Focus and put the year of my car and put 1.8 and it gave an option for a saloon in the year of my car.

14 minutes ago, The Joshua Tree said:

I've no idea to be honest Dee as i'm certainly no mechanic, how would i found out if mine are 19mm or 21mm or what the correct size is ?

I used that drop down menu on the ebay link and selected Ford Focus and put the year of my car and put 1.8 and it gave an option for a saloon in the year of my car.

if you can see the rings on the ball joint, they are colour coded, blue is 21mm, its a bit hard to see though, Orange is18. failing that I can check microcat but ill need you VIN or reg, PM it and I can have a look for you

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi there, does anyone know what is the part number for the wishbone for a Ford Focus Titanium 2008 , because I try to buy them from euro car parts but they give me to sizes ( 18mm bolts and 21mm ) , thanks 

2 hours ago, Costelo said:

Hi there, does anyone know what is the part number for the wishbone for a Ford Focus Titanium 2008 , because I try to buy them from euro car parts but they give me to sizes ( 18mm bolts and 21mm ) , thanks 

More likely than not it is a 21mm.With alittle research on eBay you can find out using the compatibility listings.The website 7Zap is useful if you know how to browse around it.Also you could call up a Ford parts department and ask them 👍

Hi mate , thanks a lot  for your support ,I find the   Size off the parts on zap7 website 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club