Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Durashift EST Warning Light - Loss of Drive

sype

Don't know if anyone can advise with this problem.

Recently my 2003 1.4 Durashift Fiesta has been giving me a few problems.

Whilst driving, usually either when accelerating fairly heavily or slowing down at junctions the car will lose drive. It feels like the car has gone in to neutral - the engine will still rev but there is complete loss of drive. The display still shows the car as being in gear but it won't move forward. When this happens an amber warning light with an exclamation mark in a gear shape lights up (the handbook describes this as Durashift EST warning light)

This happened a few times before christmas and usually turning the engine off and restarting would fix it, but last week when this happened even after restarting the engine the car would go in to neutral and not allow me to select any gear - even reverse. it was only after many attempts to get the car moving again that it finally got into gear.

I'm going to have it looked at this week but I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this problem or had any ideas on the possible cause of the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Snap, it's just started to happen on my Fiesta, originally it kept reading '4' on the LCD with the Durashift light constantly lit and the car wouldn't start, now I've got the car started but it won't engage any gears. Did you work out a solution, without resorting to expensive garage bills ? :(

• 9 months later...
Snap, it's just started to happen on my Fiesta, originally it kept reading '4' on the LCD with the Durashift light constantly lit and the car wouldn't start, now I've got the car started but it won't engage any gears. Did you work out a solution, without resorting to expensive garage bills ? :(

Hi there

Did you get your problem resolved and if so what was the solution, as my car has just started with the same problem?

Don't know if anyone can advise with this problem.

Recently my 2003 1.4 Durashift Fiesta has been giving me a few problems.

Whilst driving, usually either when accelerating fairly heavily or slowing down at junctions the car will lose drive. It feels like the car has gone in to neutral - the engine will still rev but there is complete loss of drive. The display still shows the car as being in gear but it won't move forward. When this happens an amber warning light with an exclamation mark in a gear shape lights up (the handbook describes this as Durashift EST warning light)

This happened a few times before christmas and usually turning the engine off and restarting would fix it, but last week when this happened even after restarting the engine the car would go in to neutral and not allow me to select any gear - even reverse. it was only after many attempts to get the car moving again that it finally got into gear.

I'm going to have it looked at this week but I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this problem or had any ideas on the possible cause of the problem.

I assume you got your problem resolved if so what was the solution as my car has just started with the same?

I had to take it into the garage in the end, they said it was the Automator that had gone wrong, it was quite an expensive repair, something around £600.

I had to take it into the garage in the end, they said it was the Automator that had gone wrong, it was quite an expensive repair, something around £600.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

My 53 Ford Fiesta is having the exact same problem in 3rd gear. Did you take your car to Ford or to a local garage as i've been told to take it to Ford but they said if it's a new Automator it would cost me £1400. I can't afford that and would rather pay alot less. I'm not sure if Ford are the only people that can fix it as it will need reprograming. Thank you.

My 53 Ford Fiesta is having the exact same problem in 3rd gear. Did you take your car to Ford or to a local garage as i've been told to take it to Ford but they said if it's a new Automator it would cost me £1400. I can't afford that and would rather pay alot less. I'm not sure if Ford are the only people that can fix it as it will need reprograming. Thank you.

Hi there

It is usually a main dealer problem to solve. If you have time , there are companys who repair actuators. Mine had to have a new actuator and PCM because the dealer left it too long before they took any notice of me. There are other manufacturers of cars who are having problems with similiar systems eg; Smart forfour, Vauxhall electronic, Renault. Do your research.best of look!!See link below.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Ford-Fiesta-Durashift-Transmission-Unit

• 1 year later...

Could someone help me, my car is completely broken down and the garage is asking for £2400 as both Actuator and Control Unit are gone, do I've any way to get it fixed cheaper otherwise I'll have to scrap the car :(

Here's my thread for full details:

Hi there

I too had a problem with the "Actuator" and its "Brain" approx two years ago, which cost £1700 to put right. Fortunately the car has been OK since (spoken too soon!!!!) The other issue that I have had since it was approx 12 months old was "juddering".

At 3 years old (36,000 miles) the dealer stated it was a worn clutch that was causing the problem and would probably need replacing. I DID NOT go ahead with that action and decided to wait for it to fail. The car is now over 7 years old, 85,000 miles and is still on the original juddering clutch.

Dealers like to take your money, blame you the driver and not admit that there is an inherent fault. I did receive a letter August 2010 from a dealer stating that Ford were aware of the problem. I.e. Actuator. Though I can not remember where I put it. The dealer may give me a copy!!!!.

Type "ford durashift problems" into Google Chrome Images. You will come across BBA remanufacturing. It's worth a try.

Best of luck

• 1 month later...

I got my car fix without spending penny, for details follow this post:

Good luck!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club