Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poss Idler Pulley?

wreety

Im not sure if its my idler pulley thats making a noise on the right side of my engine but the noise only starts when the car is in idle and its intermittant, its like a vibration noise has anybody else experianced this please advise...

Maybe the aux belt tensioner gone or getting weak

Can't you post a video up with the bonnet open and camera pointing down the drivers side of the engine, preferably with audio and ill confirm :)

its the idler pulley issue.

You need to change the idle pulley, the aux belt and the aux belt tensioner. Unfortunatley the engine needs to be either dropped or tilted as the bolts are longer than the gap you have.

Mine costs £370, but most garages charge around the £400 mark and ford a nice big fat £500+

Dave

idler pulley? sounds like its the crankshaft pulley thats at fault, the rubber inside them breaks down with age, heat etc.. does it go away when you rev it slightly? done this on my 2.2tdci - bit of a nightmare for access but generally quite an easy job. I bought the full gates kit for about £180. took about 3 hours to fit. (gates make the genuine ford parts)

picture of the kit i bought:-

IMG_0017.jpg

Sorry yer I meant crank pulley, belt and tensoner

also there is no need to lift or tilt the engine. if you get a 13mm drain plug key and cut it up and use a 19mm spanner you can get in to release the tensioner, cost - £3 or £4

see here,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Drain-Plug-Key-8-13mm-Sq-1578-/140667433297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20c06eb151#ht_831wt_1169

I was told the bolts are longer than the gap from the pulley to the body ???

the pulley is behind the plastic wheel arch liner so no issues with clearance there. the bolt in the centre of the wheel on the tensioner wont come out with the tensioner bracket still on the car (IIRC), but most kits come with a new tensioner rather than just the wheel.

the alternator needs to be unbolted in order to remove the tensioner though

Hi all, i have just bought a mondeo with what i think is exactly the same problem. Pick it up just above idle and the noise goes away or if the engine is warm it is much better. Had a word with my mechanic and he sugguests i get it into ford for a positive ID on the tensioner and if this is causing the lumpy idling. Just out of interest does anyone know how to confirm the death of the tensioner?

It's not the tensoner its the crank pulley, all you need to do is look down the side of the engine and see the Pulley and belt wobbling. I wouldn't take it to fraud

The problem is i want to be sure of what it is before i have to change or not change anything. I have heard that the timing chain can give of a bit of noise if its slack aswell.

I have just looked at the belt and i can see a large pulley towards the bottom of the engine and it looks like i may have some play and the belt looks a little shakey as its coming of it (left to right shake).

I have recorded it on my phone which is mp4 and i have also included a pic of the sort of soot you would have seen in victorian times which came out of the EGR valve on friday, she doesnt idle very smoothly as you will hear but the idle rpm is around 800 which seems normal ???

10032012291.jpg

th_11032012012.jpg

i cant view the video at work but ill look tonight, if its wobbling it definatley needs changing. the soot build up is from a lot of round town use and does happen. symptoms are usually black smoke under acceleration

Infact if you click on the bottom picture photo bucket plays it which is rather good as i didn't know that. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club