Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Using This Wasted Space

mcneillchris9

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, I have just past my test a couple of months and my first/current car is a 2003 Focus 1.8 TDCI LX. I love the car, I havent made much changes to it yet but I am wanting to gradually do some little mods to make it look nicer (even if some are internal for now so I dont effect my already high insurance cost.. I will post some more details when I can on the things I have done so far and what I'm planning on doing soon etc.

Anyway.. my question :)

The shape of the boot gives a fair bit of "wasted" space that's hard to use. and I want to know if anyone has come up with any smart ideas/ways of using this space easier (or if there is a reason not to do anything with it)..

The space I mean is the part above what I guess is the wheel arch, were some people have a little elastic cord holding a first aid kit or something. Like in the picture attached (borrowed from this guide ).

I would love to see any ideas/suggestions on how to make this space easier to use (obviously it would be great is whatever idea there is, is removable easily if transporting things that need that little groove (like maybe a bike or akward shape something) so I can maybe apply something similar.

post-30588-0-98597900-1330697272_thumb.j

It's a pity that Ford doesn't do some sort of utility storage unit that fits the contours of the wheel arch for storing all the sort of maintenance junk that builds up over time.

It's a pity that Ford doesn't do some sort of utility storage unit that fits the contours of the wheel arch for storing all the sort of maintenance junk that builds up over time.

I agree.. I would love some sort of "pocket" that fits.. so random small things can be put into it so they aren't just lying on the floor; or without having to use a "boot tidy" which takes up normal boot space. Things like torch/gloves/snow shovel/warning triangle, and even some clothes like gloves/hat for when its cold in case of breakdown etc.

I would love to make something, but I don't know where I could really attach it too; or what the best thing to use might be so its ligt enough to hang (maybe some paper mache waterproofed somehow! :D)

Surely they could design a velcro on pack designed to fit the gap with spaces for the most likely items.

I have to use boot tidy's as i need to carry all my work kit to and from work and still fit two dogs in too.

Utilising the dead space would free up a lot of flat boot space for me.

The Estate (2008 0n) has small doors with storage behind them filling in the gap behind the wheel arch, Have a look at the Estate and see if you can construct something similar.

Maybe someone who is a bit handy with fibreglass and with some spare time could take this up and see what comes of it.

...or if there is a reason not to do anything with it)...

There's two main reasons:

1. It is cheaper to follow the body shape with carpet than to deisgn, manufacture and install cubby holes

2. The nooks and crannies all add up to increase the advertised boot capacity. If they were filled in, the measured boot space would be smaller

There's two main reasons:

1. It is cheaper to follow the body shape with carpet than to deisgn, manufacture and install cubby holes

2. The nooks and crannies all add up to increase the advertised boot capacity. If they were filled in, the measured boot space would be smaller

In addition to the above, the 'wasted space' is not necessarily wasted.

There are some items (folded push chair for example) that would not fit between the wheel arches, but can fit in the extra space that would be taken up by said cubby holes.

Fair one about fitting in pushchairs etc, but if that's not needed surely they could do an optional extra for people who want to use what in most cases is dead space.

I was wondering if there was a reason against me doing something, maybe access to something in an emergency or anything etc, I understand exactly why they wouldnt do it as standard..

As for the push-chair thing, I agree it is usable in some scenarios, but I don't need it right now (past the push chair phase and daughters bike is too big now for the boot :) ) that's also why I would preferably have somethin removable also.

Looks like I have a project to do when I get time :) I'm thinking of taking a 'mould' of the space using some expanding foam (and plastic bags to keep it off the carpet) and then maybe trying paper mace first to see if its possible/viable.. since its the cheapest way to make something.. coated in yacht varnish should give some protection too (http://www.papiermache.co.uk/articles/waterproofing-papier-mache/1/)

I will.update with any progress if/when I get around to doing it :)

Thanks,

Chris

I would be vey interested in the results.

Shame they don't do them as storage.

you can always fit stealthboxz's either side: http://www.auto-acou...98-04-263-p.asp

They look like a good option.. however I dont think I could justify spending ~£400 on something to save a little space :blink: Thanks for the option tho

Also if the space was filled i would not get my Golf clubs in there :) and i would not want to drop my seat to get them in.

Golf was said to be a waste of a good walk.

Personally i'd start at the 19th hole and work backwards.

I'm sure it would be more fun that way. :P

I would be vey interested in the results.

So would I, using expanding foam & paper mâché is a very clever method!

Maybe you could sell them on here if it works!

I brought some proper gel backed gel carpet a few weeks back so when i swap my full size spare for a space saver I can make a new carpet that'll fit the deeper boot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280805498606?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This stuff is nigh on identical to your normal boot carpet finish.

Also with the gel backing it's fairly stiff, so you could take a template of the void level with the wheelarch inside the boot and cut this from the carpet with a gap at the top for access. ( or cut a slot from the inside piece about 4" from the top so you can fold it outwards using the outside part as the hinge for a really neat hidden finish )

make 2 of each side and check they fit

Now get some velcro hook side and use a contact adhesive to glue some strip around the edges ( not the top ) prob 4" strips will be plenty.

Now glue two halfs together so you have carpet inside and out with your velcro tabs hanging out by a couple of inches.

place the new sides on the edge of the void and use the velcro to attach it to the carpet in place ( use sticky back felt velcro on the plastic part of the boot to hook on to )

In my head you now have two extra cubby holes either side of the boot.

for the right hand side of the car the boot carpet doesn't go to the edge, giving you more depth, but also the chance to loose smaller stuff to the spare lurking underneath unless you fit a false floor or increase the depth on the inside half of your template to meet the boot floor.

If i didn't need every mm of width to fit on my RC gliders i'd do it, but then the foam blanks around the spare also make a great place to hide stuff you don't need often away.

hope the "make it in my head as i type" guff made sense :blink: :D

got it, you're the sarcastic one around here :lol:

best thing about that carpet is they give you two bits, the join at worse gives you two 1m clear sections.

my bits had one with the join 8" in, the other was spotless!

got it, you're the sarcastic one around here

Me sarcastic? Never!

;)

Seriously though I do get the point you are alluding to.

It would square the boot off but would it obstruct the boot light?

i think if the part is flush with the arch it might just be ok. you can see the holes further forwards and their above the arch arn't they?

will have to go have a look, but should be ok

It shouldn’t be a problem to move the boot light, just extend the wiring and relocate the light.

checked the boot, it'd be just fine

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club