Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Increase Fuel Economy?

BIGGSY

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a 1.8 125 petrol zetec Focus and i get quiet good fuel economy now but i want to imporve the fuel economy more.

im getting between 25-40mpg but this is on a flat fun sometimes 50mpg and when i go up small hill in road i get 30mpg or less (mostly less)

any good tips for getting more out of a tank of fuel

cheers peeps

Biggsy

Lighter foot, remove junk from boot, and check tyre pressures, One other thing, anticipate the road ahead so you don’t have to brake so often.

Get the mrs to get out and push... Forget any of those eBay fuel saver junk american transport tested them all and none worked

i have the same car and get 28-30 around town.I recently went on a 3 hour trip and the best i got was 42mpg.Doing 65-70 and very light footed.For a 2010 car i think this is poor,maybe why they dont make the 1.8 any more

This is what I get with my 1.8 petrol,

240 miles on A & B roads over 4 days (1.8 Petrol)

On-board computer = 40 MPG

Maths with (fill to fill) = 41.5MPG

Running around local country lanes, short 5 mile runs, around 35MPG.

If you do town driving, stop and start, it will kill MPG.

As you can see, it does depend where you are traveling. No two journeys are the same.

i recently reset my mpg count... i also have a 1.8 petrol, after a quick trip 25miles and back my mpg is sitting at 28.9mpg but when siting stationary it goes down like a ticking time bomb!! and the majority of my driving is short journeys 5 miles max constant stopping and starting which brings it right down to 20mpg... also a 2010 car i think this is ridiculous...

i have heard getting your car remapped can help out alot... but you would have to sacrifice your 3 year warranty i guess??

A 25 mile trip is not enough distance to get a good average MPG, You need at least 200 miles of varied road types and conditions for any accuracy, also compare the fill to fill + maths to check the accuracy of the on board computer, that needs to be within 5% + or -.

the majority of my driving is short journeys 5 miles max constant stopping and starting which brings it right down to 20mpg... also a 2010 car i think this is ridiculous...

When I read this I'm no longer worried about my MPG.

A 25 mile trip is not enough distance to get a good average MPG, You need at least 200 miles of varied road types and conditions for any accuracy, also compare the fill to fill + maths to check the accuracy of the on board computer, that needs to be within 5% + or -.

yea ino that.... but ALL of my previous driving was to the gym and back 3 times a week which gave me very poor mpg, and as u can imagen i was slightly concerned so i wanted to check what id get on motorway driving...

i was considering taking it in for a diagnostic test to see if something was wrong but i think its just the short, stop and start journeys :(

but i think its just the short, stop and start journeys :(

That's the single biggest factor to your low mpg.

The engine won't be up to temperature (or if it is, only at the end of your journey), lots of waiting at lights burning fuel for no benefit, and accelerating from rest which uses a lot of energy to overcome the inertia of a stationary car weighing a ton-and-bit.

Take it on a long motorway cruise and mpg will go up a lot - my diesel can get 59mpg on a long m-way journey, but low 40's in city driving.

That's the single biggest factor to your low mpg.

this may sound weird but thats a relief lol i thought there may be an issue with my car...but stil when your car is sitting at 20mpg and fuel prices are rising, its not a good feeling lol

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys thanks for the reply to my post. I have checked all the junk in my boot and removed all the stuff i didnt need and checked my tyres. My Fuel economy has increased used £40 of fuel over two weeks doing approx 16miles aday which i didnt think was too bad for a 1.8 petrol, i also used my lighter foot and made the gear changes alot smoother too

cheers

chris

yea ino that.... but ALL of my previous driving was to the gym and back 3 times a week which gave me very poor mpg, and as u can imagen i was slightly concerned so i wanted to check what id get on motorway driving...

i was considering taking it in for a diagnostic test to see if something was wrong but i think its just the short, stop and start journeys :(

I recommend you seriously consider this money saving Three for 0ne Deal:

Instead of driving there and back to the gym three times a week, why not instead walk there and back?

1. You get plenty fresh air and exercise.

2. Meaning you can cancel your gym membership.

3. Meaning your MPG improves tremendously.

YOU WILL BE QUIDS IN :)

Look we have all to realise the "good old days" have finished and gone forever. The ten year period commencing 1997 and ending 2007 that I dubbed "The Illusion of Wealth" period. You remember the one, perpetuated by the Banks and supported by Prudence [my !Removed!] Brown has well and truly finished. The banks have removed the ATM's they stuck in the wall of every house in Britain allowing the occupiers to draw down and spend the illusionary value they believed they had in their properties. And no amount of granite worktops and wet rooms installed in Rochdale'esk terraced houses will bring that wealth back.

You can live without Gym memberships, you can live without Sky + Contracts, you don't need to buy bottled water to take a walk outside. And you don't need to be constantly updating your Facebook status every living hour of the day. And don't get me started on Pay Day loans, what on earth are they for, obviously now I come to think about it , they are for idiots I suppose.

I subscribe to none of those wealth consuming things, and as a result owe bugger all to anybody...............rant over :D

haha blimey, deep breaths...

even better i could just sell the car, thus never having to worry about petrol/diesel prices again :D

and talking of granite worktops, that's what i do for a living so if anyone is interested feel free to PM me!!

(apologize if any forum rules are broken in this post!!!)

The first answer had good points, clear out any unnecessary load from the boot, check to see whether you have the correct tyre pressure as this affects the fuel economy. Anticipating the road ahead is very important, as constant acceleration and braking will cause the fuel gauge to run a muck :D

Another thing is to try and get into the highest gear possible early, so you're talking around 2500 - 3000 rpm (sometimes even 2000) !!!

Hope this helps :)

One way to save fuel,

is dont fit an ST rear spoiler lol my fuel consumption has gone up since ive fitted it to the car, plus i carry a full spare wheel in the boot but hoping to cange it to a space saver again lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club