Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbake Woe

coreyams1

My handbarke lever has just decided to fall apart (it's the plastic push in button) not only does it now look naff but !Removed! annoying to use aswell giving you a sore thumb! is this an easy fix or do I have to rip half my centre consol apart? if so how do I go about it.it's an 05 climate model.

taking the centre console out is simple, it all pulls apart and four 10mm bolts gets the main bit off.

but you shouldn't need to take it out

the handbrake gaitor (the plastic surrounding the fabric that covers it) just lifts off. A flat screw driver in the top of it and pry gently up and it'll pop off.the fabric has an elasticy closure over the handbrake so just pull that off. Nothing else needs to come off to get the handbrake cover off.

You don't need to take the console off. I've just replaced the parking brake handle on the wife's '99 2.0 litre Ghia, took 40 mins.

Be careful prising off the gaiter, it's only held in place by a flexible pastic trim. Gently insert a flat bladed screwdriver at the rear end (closet to the rear seats) of the gaiter and softly push down & towards the rear seats. It's only a small plastic lip to clip out, then squeeze both sides and the two at the front/sides will pop out as well. Pull the gaiter off over the handle.

Handle assembly is simple, just two bolts in the base and one on the cable. All 10mm. Then remove the sensor clip and it comes out. Fitting is obviously the reverse.

I'm no mechanic but it really is easy.

JamieFOB ;)

Jamie did you take the hand grip of your handbrake?

I'm looking at getting the cover linked below, which is a replacement for the one thats on the car. Its a standard black one. I'd love to take my one off and replace it but no clue how.

any chance you could run through how to get it off if you did this? I can see no way to remove the actual handle at all.

pretty well versed in getting gaitor and centre console off.

part is below

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk2-aluminium_finish_gear_handbrake_cover_f_1334522_c_106.htm

cheers

From what I read jamie replaced the whole handbrake assembly.

As far as I'm aware the part you're planning requires removal of the old plastic grip and requires cutting to do so.

ah cheers stoney. don't want to hijack the thread as I know i have my own!

From what I read jamie replaced the whole handbrake assembly.

As far as I'm aware the part you're planning requires removal of the old plastic grip and requires cutting to do so.

Spot on Stoney. The handle grip on my old one just slid off with a twist but I think this was only possible because the release/rachet system was broken anyway. I looked at the new one but couldn't see any way of getting it off without breaking /cutting it.

JamieFOB B)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club