• default_large.png
  • bullet_black.png
  • Members
  • 1 posts

• First Name: Neileil
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDi Zetec Focus 1.8 TDDI Zetec
  • Year: 2001001

Got my 1.8 TDDi Zetec on thursday :-)

103k on the clock but it is a diesel so not worried.

No service history or manual so its getting a new cambelt on monday and a service next

A few questions to throw out to the 'experts' on the forum to kick off :-)

1. The garage guy told me to expect around 40-50 mpg round city and around 70 mpg on motorways and a roads, however i put £15 on thursday and did a long 80 mile round trip on mostly a roads and some round town driving yet the needle went right down to the bottom after 120 miles :-( i've estimated this at 60-65mpg on the a roads and less than 39mpg round town, bit disappointed to be honest, any ideas why this is? and will it improve in the future? will a cambelt change and service improve this?

2. cigarette lighter does'nt work , don't smoke so not bothered about that but need it for my sat nav. could it be a fuse? or do i need to sandpaper the joints? if it is a fuse where in the fuse box is it?

3. is there a trip computer on these models? if so where and how can can i find it

4. can i get an online manual? as car did'nt come with manual

5. Tyre pressures - Max load in my front tyres says 40 psi but they seem flat and power steering seems a bit hard at the minute, seems like they need more air in them , any thoughtS?

Thanks guys , looking forward to many years of happy focus motoring and many helpful hints off all of you

Neil

Hi all

A few questions to throw out to the 'experts' on the forum to kick off :-)

1. The garage guy told me to expect around 40-50 mpg round city and around 70 mpg on motorways and a roads, however i put £15 on thursday and did a long 80 mile round trip on mostly a roads and some round town driving yet the needle went right down to the bottom after 120 miles :-( i've estimated this at 60-65mpg on the a roads and less than 39mpg round town, bit disappointed to be honest, any ideas why this is? and will it improve in the future? will a cambelt change and service improve this?

2. cigarette lighter does'nt work , don't smoke so not bothered about that but need it for my sat nav. could it be a fuse? or do i need to sandpaper the joints? if it is a fuse where in the fuse box is it?

3. is there a trip computer on these models? if so where and how can can i find it

4. can i get an online manual? as car did'nt come with manual

5. Tyre pressures - Max load in my front tyres says 40 psi but they seem flat and power steering seems a bit hard at the minute, seems like they need more air in them , any thoughtS?

Hi, welcome to the club,

No expert but will help if i can.:)

1,. Fuel usage is about right, i think they gave you the optimum statistics which are rarely reached in real world application.

2. Lighter socket is fuse F46 15A in the central fuse box, which is behind the glove box (open glove box and press in sides and it rotates right down).

3. Trip computer if fitted will be in the triangular bit of the dash where a cubby is on most models to the left of the speedo etc.

Some people have retrofitted them but it depends if certain wiring is present to make it work. There are posts elsewhere here that cover this subject.

4.Car manual - i believe again someone here may have access to a PDF version.

5. Tyre pressures - Haynes manual states normal pressures apart from 195/55 R15 is front 32psi normal load and 35psi full load, rear 32psi normal load and 45psi full load.

For 195/55 R15 only, front 29psi normal and 35psi full load, rear 29psi normal and 45psi full load.

Hope that is of use to you.

Thanks for that mate appreciate it

It's going in for a cambelt kit change tomorrow and a full service next month , will these help in any way?

All the posts I've read have said their circa 2001 focuses are doing a lot more than mine to the gallon

The car itself Is sound and looks and drives beautiful , it's just a few niggles that need sorting

Would the fact it's been on the forecourt for months have any bearing on it as well?

Don't know what to think about the tyres but the steering does seem heavy totally different to a friends focus I drove which was very light and also 2001 like mine, I've checked the power steering fluid and it's fine

I bought it Thursday and had a 12 month mot put on it the same day

I've just had a fiat brava for 4 years with not too many problems, biggest being a new exhaust last September to pass it's mot, I'm hoping for similar luck with my focus :-)

Thoughts / suggestions?

A good full service with all filters done will improve the economy and sharpen the engine up. May I also suggest some form of injector cleaner, I believe something called BG244 is recommended.

That or any pour in the tank additive (apart from redex as that can strip oil out or the system/turbo and cause wear.)

As to the steering, I always found my Mk1 was very nimble.

Maybe the pump needs checking.

Cam belt is a definite, better safe than sorry.

Any advice you need, feel free to ask as when I'm home my old MK1 manual is near to hand.

(unfortunately not today as I'm on the road working)

Best of luck with the car, :)

Thanks mate

Have you heard of tec 2000 diesel additive at all?

thanks stoney , just popped in a 15a fuse in the 46 slot and hey presto cigarette lighter works :-)

as regards to the trip computer , the whole of the casing comes off , have'nt checked yet coz its chucking it down outside but when i get chance i'm gonna pop it off and have a look for hopefully the wiring :-)

now just to sort out the other 3 things and i'll be happy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club