Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tappets Fiesta 2001

Oldgit1968

Have just read that tappets on my fiesta need adjusting fairly often. As a complete novice can I do them myself or is it best to get a mechanic to do it. Any help would be much appreciated.

On the 1.3 OHV Ford Fiesta/Ka engine all you'll need are some simple tools, a spanner and a flatbladed screwdriver to adjust and a fila gauge for measuring the gaps. You need to make sure the engine is in the correct position. You'll need a Haynes manual (I would as well!) to make sure on both the valve clearances and position of the camshaft/crankshaft to adjust each set of valves. That of course is unless any of the good members on here can give these for you...?

If you aren't confident in doing the job it's really easy (and yes I think fairly important to check on these engines) so a cheap-no-fills sorta garage would be your best bet and probably not much more than about half an hours work.

Dan

On the 1.3 OHV Ford Fiesta/Ka engine all you'll need are some simple tools, a spanner and a flatbladed screwdriver to adjust and a fila gauge for measuring the gaps. You need to make sure the engine is in the correct position. You'll need a Haynes manual (I would as well!) to make sure on both the valve clearances and position of the camshaft/crankshaft to adjust each set of valves. That of course is unless any of the good members on here can give these for you...?

If you aren't confident in doing the job it's really easy (and yes I think fairly important to check on these engines) so a cheap-no-fills sorta garage would be your best bet and probably not much more than about half an hours work.

Dan

Thanks for info will buy Haynes manual and have a read up before I start playing around with engine. Gotta be cheaper than going o a garage.

Graham,

If you do it, dont forget the new rocker cover gasket.

It's been a long time since I've done this job but you have to do them in a particular order and use the rule of 9. Working from left to right the first one being 1 the last one being 8 = 9 the second valve 2 the next to last 7 = 9 and so on if you get what I mean.

Lee