Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Contemplating A Fiesta

JoeyTaffy93

Hi all.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 1.6 Rover 25 come renewal time in July. I'm currently torn between the following:

• Audi A4 (2.0 TDI)
  • BMW 3 Series (E90)
  • MG ZT 2.5 V6 (160)
  • Volvo S40

How ever with the way petrol prices are rocketing up, I will likely be going for something smaller and more efficient than above, preferably petrol. I like the current Ford Fiesta range and would happily settle for one if you can convince me.

I've heard from a few owners that they can develop annoying little rattles? I also saw a thread on this.

What sort of MPG can I expect from 1.25 and 1.4?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 1.6 Rover 25 come renewal time in July. I'm currently torn between the following:

• Audi A4 (2.0 TDI)
  • BMW 3 Series (E90)
  • MG ZT 2.5 V6 (160)
  • Volvo S40

How ever with the way petrol prices are rocketing up, I will likely be going for something smaller and more efficient than above, preferably petrol. I like the current Ford Fiesta range and would happily settle for one if you can convince me.

I've heard from a few owners that they can develop annoying little rattles? I also saw a thread on this.

What sort of MPG can I expect from 1.25 and 1.4?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I have just ordered a 1.6 Fiesta Zetec S which will be my first Fiesta but my 9th ford.

I can't comment on rattles but can point you to the following link which I have just read.

It will give you all the tech specs on the fiesta and a full review.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/fiesta-2008/

Hope you find this usefull. It should have the reviews for the other cars you are considering too.

Em x

Hi there,

I have just ordered a 1.6 Fiesta Zetec S which will be my first Fiesta but my 9th ford.

I can't comment on rattles but can point you to the following link which I have just read.

It will give you all the tech specs on the fiesta and a full review.

http://www.honestjoh...rd/fiesta-2008/

Hope you find this usefull. It should have the reviews for the other cars you are considering too.

Em x

Thank you for the reply. :) I'm going for a test drive later and we'll see if it can convince me to go Ford!

Stay away from the 1.25 and you're onto a winner mostly I had a bad example and consequently now have a Clio but the Clio isnt as good a car except the fuel economy knocks the Fiesta out of the park I can get within 1 or 2 of the official average on the clio's MPG but the fiesta was consistently around 20% away if not more. I think the highest I ever got was 37 and I'm not the only one. I know it sounds crazy but the bigger engines are much better on fuel in the Fiestas. Something to do with the weight of the car vs the power/torque I imagine.

The 1.25 is abysmal though and I'm not the only one that will tell you that as this thread shows:

If you cant get a Diesel (avoid the 1.4 70 as its truly gutless I tried one in a pug 207 and it was horrible) or the 1.6 then I'd say buy another car like the Puntos are good on fuel especially the multiairs (when you take the 120 bhp into consideration). As is the 100bhp Clio TCE. Also superb on fuel apparently are the Mitsubishi Colts I've read people getting 45mpg from the 1.5t Ralliart which has 150bhp and goes like the proverbial s**t off a shovel (I know I've driven one and its SUPERB but my insurance was too high sadly)

Stay away from the 1.25 and you're onto a winner mostly I had a bad example and consequently now have a Clio but the Clio isnt as good a car except the fuel economy knocks the Fiesta out of the park I can get within 1 or 2 of the official average on the clio's MPG but the fiesta was consistently around 20% away if not more. I think the highest I ever got was 37 and I'm not the only one. I know it sounds crazy but the bigger engines are much better on fuel in the Fiestas. Something to do with the weight of the car vs the power/torque I imagine.

The 1.25 is abysmal though and I'm not the only one that will tell you that as this thread shows:

http://www.fordowner...__fromsearch__1

If you cant get a Diesel (avoid the 1.4 70 as its truly gutless I tried one in a pug 207 and it was horrible) or the 1.6 then I'd say buy another car like the Puntos are good on fuel especially the multiairs (when you take the 120 bhp into consideration). As is the 100bhp Clio TCE. Also superb on fuel apparently are the Mitsubishi Colts I've read people getting 45mpg from the 1.5t Ralliart which has 150bhp and goes like the proverbial s**t off a shovel (I know I've driven one and its SUPERB but my insurance was too high sadly)

Thank you for the response, I've actually booked a test drive in the 1.4 diesel... Eek! Not after power to be fair, more reliability and economy.

If you're considering a BMW E90 320d you will easy see 45 mpg. I would avoid the 320 petrol like the plaugue

My wife just traded her 1.4 TDCi 68 bhp for a petrol Zetec S because the 1.4 was so gutless, she loved the car in every other repect, hence the new one.

If you're considering a BMW E90 320d you will easy see 45 mpg. I would avoid the 320 petrol like the plaugue

My wife just traded her 1.4 TDCi 68 bhp for a petrol Zetec S because the 1.4 was so gutless, she loved the car in every other repect, hence the new one.

Regarding the BMW, it would be the diesel yes. :)

The 1.4 I'm test driving is to really just get a feal for the car. :)

Regarding the BMW, it would be the diesel yes. :) Great news :)

The 1.4 I'm test driving is to really just get a feal for the car. :)

Understood, they drive fantastic and feel like a car three times the price. :)

MG? Oh no :blink:

Audi A4 for me mate.

Puntos are good on fuel especially the multiairs (when you take the 120 bhp into consideration).

really? cos i hear the multiair petrols are atrocious, especially the 2 cylinder "twin air" in the 500. some people saying they get worse economy in those than in the standard 1.4 petrol 500.

really? cos i hear the multiair petrols are atrocious, especially the 2 cylinder "twin air" in the 500. some people saying they get worse economy in those than in the standard 1.4 petrol 500.

Yes- and have you heard them running, sound pants

1.4 tdci is very noisy and gruff, power is ok if its just one possibly 2 people in the car but you get supurb mpg ! the 1.25 is a good little engine pulls ok and has a very interesting burble on the exhaust but generally very refined motor it does struggle to pull with the a/c on though , driving wise the diesel is diffrent to the petrol mainly the clutch isnt as smooth, id rather the petrol.

MG? Oh no :blink:

Audi A4 for me mate.

MG? Nothing wrong with them chap! I've had a Rover for the past 2 years and would continue with them if I didn't want something newer, never had a problem with them. ;) My dad has actually recently decided to get rid of his Mk2 Mondeo for a Rover 45 saloon.

As for the test drive, I just got back.

I test drove a 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.4 (petrol) Titanium... Luckily the dealer had a 1.4 petrol about so I tried that instead of the diesel. What an amazing car to be fair! The Fiesta has advanced in so many ways it's great. I loved the quiet, comfortable ride, air con/climate control, sound was decent quality from radio, and I loved the cruise control! Never driven a car with that before. :) It's certainly on the top of my small car list! It had some good power as well for the engine, I overtook a lorry and it pulled very impressively. :)

Car in question was this one:

VA11YVK@10_w440_x_h330_77bcfcc1-da5c-44e2-998e-6574ad52ab1f.jpg

VA11YVK@8_w440_x_h330_e6ccfde7-9769-4b25-b821-12b95bf5e98b.jpg

VA11YVK@4_w440_x_h330_f88d6eaa-45fb-4fe0-b0a1-3a65b295b930.jpg

Pictures were taken from dealer website as you can tell.

Over all for me, I give it a 8/10. Just lacking a certain something my Rover has which I can't seem to figure out.

Oooooooh it's so shiny

Glad you liked it. As for the missing 'something' was it a 'feel' something or an asthetics something like driver cabin?

I would have to say "fun". Now I know many would laugh at this but the Rover is a really fun car to drive, it's got a lively engine and handles beautifully. The Fiesta as nice as it is, doesn't quite put a smile on my face like my 25 does. I shall add though it makes up for that in build quality and fuel consumption!

I would have to say "fun". Now I know many would laugh at this but the Rover is a really fun car to drive, it's got a lively engine and handles beautifully. The Fiesta as nice as it is, doesn't quite put a smile on my face like my 25 does. I shall add though it makes up for that in build quality and fuel consumption!

I know what you mean. Fords make me smile :)

I had a courtesy car last year and I wanted to cry when a Corsa turned up :unsure: in fact I think I did :unsure:

Em x

You should try a Zetec S, More grip but a bit less comfortable at the same time, you can make a titanium look like a Zetec S if you wanted the aesthetics without sacrificing comfort, and you get more tech.

1.6 Petrol and 1.6 Diesel (not econetic version with Zetec S models)

Both engines are good for what they are. If you could wait around for the 2012 facelift (maybe 2013 now) we should be seeing some ecoboost engines for the fiesta (smaller turbocharged petrol engines)

http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/ford/ford-fiesta-guide.asp Spec for all the models

I had a courtesy car last year and I wanted to cry when a Corsa turned up :unsure: in fact I think I did :unsure:

Em x

Hehe, each to their own! My nan has a 2004 MG ZR 105+, she loves it! She test drove a new Jaguar XF the other day, loved that but it didn't make her as happy as her MG did. Strange!

I feel sorry for you for ending up with a Corsa.. I test drove a 10 plate one at the end of last year, I wanted to kill myself! Old, outdated, horrid car!

You should try a Zetec S, More grip but a bit less comfortable at the same time, you can make a titanium look like a Zetec S if you wanted the aesthetics without sacrificing comfort, and you get more tech.

1.6 Petrol and 1.6 Diesel (not econetic version with Zetec S models)

Both engines are good for what they are. If you could wait around for the 2012 facelift (maybe 2013 now) we should be seeing some ecoboost engines for the fiesta (smaller turbocharged petrol engines)

http://www.carpages....iesta-guide.asp Spec for all the models

I was actually going to go Zetec S to be fair mate. :) I was just trying out the 1.4 as it was the best one available at this specific dealer. :) I'm not going to wait as I dislike the facelift! The big grille is a big NO NO for me. I've got a brochure so I'll be having a look at that in a minute as I've been to the pictures tonight.

A twinair is not the same as a multiair. A multiair is 4 cylinders for a start. They are effectively the old t-jet engine with an intelligent fuel injection system. They are good on fuel I worked for Fiat and had one as a company car for about a month and managed 45mpg on a commute that was solely town driving at under 40mph.

Seriously though unless you can get a Mini, Audi A1 or a Citroen DS3 the Fiesta is the best car to go for just stay away from that 1.4 Diesel sure you will get decent economy but there really isnt enough power to move the car properly I think theyre too underpowered. Can you get the 1.6 in a 90 and 110 like the Peugeots? Coz I drove a 207 with the 90 and the 110 too and they were great engines.

I think I understand what you mean its an odd one isnt it? The fiesta was great but my 206 would have knocked it for six. I think its all the new safety equipment and (probably more this) the electronic power steering it takes something away from the car and I think thats the problem you're having.

It could well be mate. Nice and good for parking though and where my nan lives whom I visit a lot in Wales, it needs to be quick for reverse parralel parking on a steep hill!

I'm torn between a Zetec S and a Titanium. I'd much rather prefer the Zetec S but the Titanium is more attractive with it's more comfortable ride and cruise controls, but then the Zetec S has a great looking kit on it.

Cruise control seems good to me as I said, I visit family in Wales which is 90 miles + so it would be much better for driving on motorways.

Em x

Not surprised, vauxhalls (spit) are atrocious for build quality and robustness, totally awful. :angry:

I had to drive an Insignia last year when my work wagon was being fixed after a minor mishap (more accurately a high speed clash of cars with a naughty, unauthorised car borrower) and the thing was plasticky, cheap, rattly, and depressing to sit in.

It was 2 years old and already on it's third clutch, second drivers seat and second set of carpets as holes were appearing in the footwell from heel wear.

It blew all the bulbs, dash electrics and the heater matrix after i had it for 72 hours.

Awful, Awful, Awful car.

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Vauxhall (spit) :lol:

Not surprised, vauxhalls (spit) are atrocious for build quality and robustness, totally awful. :angry:

I had to drive an Insignia last year when my work wagon was being fixed after a minor mishap (more accurately a high speed clash of cars with a naughty, unauthorised car borrower) and the thing was plasticky, cheap, rattly, and depressing to sit in.

It was 2 years old and already on it's third clutch, second drivers seat and second set of carpets as holes were appearing in the footwell from heel wear.

It blew all the bulbs, dash electrics and the heater matrix after i had it for 72 hours.

Awful, Awful, Awful car.

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Vauxhall (spit) :lol:

Funniest thing I have ever heard and agreed with!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It could well be mate. Nice and good for parking though and where my nan lives whom I visit a lot in Wales, it needs to be quick for reverse parralel parking on a steep hill!

I'm torn between a Zetec S and a Titanium. I'd much rather prefer the Zetec S but the Titanium is more attractive with it's more comfortable ride and cruise controls, but then the Zetec S has a great looking kit on it.

Cruise control seems good to me as I said, I visit family in Wales which is 90 miles + so it would be much better for driving on motorways.

well get the titanium with the zetec s body kit then :/