16 valves

head and block - light alloy

electronic fuel injection on few points

adjustable intake system

chain driven camshafts

weight 109 kg

92 kW-125 HP / 6000 rpm

165 Nm / 4000 rpm

I am now confused, I thought the 1.8 ltr petrol engine had a cam belt, this Ford catalogue says its a chain. Any thoughts?

The 1.8 mondeo petrol is chain so expect the 1.8 engine in focus is too.

Does it not say in handbook?

Hi, isn't it easier just to look at the engine?

Chris

I thought all the Focus petrol engines were belt driven. The Mk 3 Mondeo engines were definately Chain.

Hi, isn't it easier just to look at the engine?

Chris

Chris,

Only if you know what you are looking for; if it were that simple I would have looked; Its like me asking you, what type of digital decoder your TV has?

The 1.8 mondeo petrol is chain so expect the 1.8 engine in focus is too.

Does it not say in handbook?

No, the handbook covers all Focus models and does not give technical details.

Chris,

Only if you know what you are looking for; if it were that simple I would have looked; Its like me asking you, what type of digital decoder your TV has?

Hi, not really, the cover for a cambelt will be different to that of a cam chain. One would be made of tin or plastic and the other cast alloy. A TV decoder is a printed circuit inside a tv, thus not so obvious, however the type can often be read from accessing the service menu or from the service manual.

Chris

Hi, not really, the cover for a cambelt will be different to that of a cam chain. One would be made of tin or plastic and the other cast alloy. A TV decoder is a printed circuit inside a tv, thus not so obvious, however the type can often be read from accessing the service menu or from the service manual.

Chris

Chris,

Chris, ?

Not really a daft question as the 2.0 tdci is both belt and chain belt on the outer to a single sprocket and a chain within the head connecting the 2 cams wouldnt know off hand if the same principle is applied to the later petrol engines .

This is the site I got this info from, hence my question, as I was under the impression that the 1.8 was belt drive, as on other sites the info says belt drive, maybe it depends on the year.

Not really a daft question as the 2.0 tdci is both belt and chain belt on the outer to a single sprocket and a chain within the head connecting the 2 cams wouldnt know off hand if the same principle is applied to the later petrol engines .

That could be where the confusion comes from. Thanks

No, the handbook covers all Focus models and does not give technical details.

Normally it tells you the service shedules per engine size and would say 10years or 100,000 miles or similar for a belt (that's from my Fiesta handbook). Dunno about references to chains though ?

Normally it tells you the service shedules per engine size and would say 10years or 100,000 miles or similar for a belt (that's from my Fiesta handbook). Dunno about references to chains though ?

That information is not covered in my service book, it’s very generic. Steads could be right, it could be both.

Etis creates service schedules according to VIN or licence plate number. You could check there if change of the timing belt is scheduled. If not - I would say your engine has chain like mine.

1.8 petrols are belt driven not chain all the petrol ford engines are belt

Just done quick search on Eurocarparts, no parts listed under timing belts or timing belt kits for Focus 1.8 2008 Petrol. Guess it's a chain ?

all the petrol ford engines are belt

Tell that to my engine, must have upgraded itself ;)

Comparing the parts both 1.8 and 2.0 have the same chain.

obviously changed it at some point as they were belts

The focus mk2 125hp 1.8 duratec he is cambelt.I know it"s. confusing as the same size engine in the mondeo is chain cam

From past experience id rather have the belt the mechanic i worked for had to deal with stretched chains snapped chains and so forth expensive job if and when it has to be done. The mk1 1.8 was belt also even my old passat was belt.

Like many things with ford specs etc its confusing

All of my previous cars had chains and I have never had any problem with that. If I have a choice I prefer engines with chain, but it is only my point of view.

I have checked one more book and is says as follow (petrol engines):

1.4 and 1.6 Duratec - cambelt

1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT - cambelt

1.8 and 2.0 Duratec HE - chain

2.6 Duratec ST - cambelt

Failed to find cambelt for 1.8 Duratec as a spare part. Earlier 1.8 Zetec E had belt as far as I have seen.

Votes so far.

Chain = 6

Belt = 3

Both = 1

Don't know = 3

The plot thickens.

This is not a voting thread, it is technical and a lucky guess is not an answer. If you are not sure - check engine or ask local dealer or any mechanic to do this instead of thinking about it for two days :P

This is not a voting thread, it is technical and a lucky guess is not an answer. If you are not sure - check engine or ask local dealer or any mechanic to do this instead of thinking about it for two days :P

I have not found anywhere in the forum rules that posts have to be technical.

A member who is asking a question is not necessarily thinking about it for days, but is genuinely interested in the opinion from other members.

I am sure a lot of members would be interested in the subject, and I have differing answers from mechanics, so I think it is relevant.

If you don’t like the word “Votes” change it to “Opinions”. is that OK?