Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When To Change Gear In 1.4 Tdci? Also Clutch Tapping Issue

Casheti

Hi guys,

New to the forums, only just signed up as this is the best looking Ford forum I found

Basically I've just bought a 58 plate Fiesta 5 door 1.4 TDCi, and it's great so far... it was used with only 17,000 miles on the clock and immaculate condition due to being used on the disabled motability scheme.

Usually I figure out when to change gear in a new car by listening or feeling the feedback from the engine, but this car seems to be overly smooth, in the sense that I don't get any feedback at low revs to let me know if I'm hurting the engine, when would you guys advise is the minimum revs to pull away or change gear? I'm not an eco-freak, but I drive 140 miles every day for work so I need to be saving as much money as possible.

Also with that question out the way, the only other one that I have is that when I depress my foot on the clutch pedal and the car is stationary or almost stationary, the clutch pedal taps very noticeably on my foot... and it's VERY irritating, is this a problem that needs to get fixed?

I bought this car after just selling a 60 plate Peugeot 207 1.4 HDi that turned out to be the worst car I've ever owned, problem after problem... but it had a light telling you when to change up and the engine also gave immediate feedback if it didn't like the revs you were pulling so in terms of 'figuring it out' it made things easier.

Well thanks in advance guys, hope to hear from you soon as I'm going on a night shift tonight and this'll be my first long drive in the new Fiesta (:

Cash.

You want to be changing up between 2000-2500rpm.

The clutch sounds like it might need looking at. Some vibration through the pedal on a diesel is normal but tapping doesn't sound right. Could be the flywheel although that woud be more like pulsing than tapping.

Cheers

Rog

lol, Peugeot 1.4 HDI engine is the same as the Fiesta engine.

Infact most of the engine wiring is shared.

Hmm well now that you mention it, pulsing may be a better word to describe it... it definitely feels 'rotational' if you know what I mean, like it feels that it's tapping on my foot in sync to something

Don't really know a lot about cars so that's the best way I could put it

Thanks for your help too, I was changing around 2000ish on the way home as I figured that was okay and now I know it is (: In terms of pulling away however, say I'm doing 30mph in 3rd and I'm slowing for a speed bump... generally I can't be bothered to change down so I just go over them at 30mph, but sometimes I have some idiot in front of me who goes sooooo slowly, and so I slow to maybe 20mph... is it still okay to stay in 3rd to pull away from 20mph? Because the car doesn't feel like it's struggling to do so, so I can't tell whether it's damaging or not

Also a bit off topic, is there a way to add a USB connector? As mine is the Zetec and only has the AUX jack

Thanks ^___^

lol, Peugeot 1.4 HDI engine is the same as the Fiesta engine.

Infact most of the engine wiring is shared.

Well maybe you're right, but it had been used as a lease car for the first 17,000 miles and obviously been driven like absolute dirt... because it developed a new problem every month without fail.

Hi

As long as the car drives smooth in the gear your in you haven't got nothing to worry about , obviously 20mph in 3rd is not something you will be doing constantly and as long as the car doesn't feel like its going to stall in a higher gear at low speed its fine.

By the way I had the 1.4tdci also , great car!.

Not to sure about the USB connection , dont see why you cant get it added at your local garage though.

Not too sure about the USB connection, don't see why you can't get it added at your local garage though.

Thanks dude, and thanks for your advice about the speed too (:

Only thing is I bought the car with an added 1 year warranty, so it's now under warranty for a year with the dealership. Does that mean if I got a local garage to do the work, it would void the warranty? I just want to be able to plug in an iPod and use the controls on the steering wheel to change tracks

Also a bit off topic, is there a way to add a USB connector? As mine is the Zetec and only has the AUX jack

If you already have bluetooth it's a case of swapping out the module under the glovebox, running the wire to the gearstick and fitting a new fascia plate with USB + AUX connection. Then someone with a Ford laptop to activate it.

If you already have Bluetooth it's a case of swapping out the module under the glovebox, running the wire to the gearstick and fitting a new fascia plate with USB + AUX connection. Then someone with a Ford laptop to activate it.

Just wondering - Is it possible to do this to a zetec without bluetooth? Mines just got the AUX port...

Or can ford do it? 09 Fiesta MK7 Zetec

Just wondering - Is it possible to do this to a zetec without bluetooth? Mines just got the AUX port...

Or can ford do it? 09 Fiesta MK7 Zetec

Unfortunately not, you need to have both.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club