Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program

Preee

ok, not sure if this has been covered and its a lot of pages to search through to see if it has or not (lazy I know)

But..

Ive managed to get everything working up until writing to the car.. but on the first tab (HEC) if i write what i want ticked when it finishes its magic, on my dash it has the yellow warning light and says TOTAL EPB failure and I can not write anything on the GEM tab as it says open Medium speed port.

can someone help me on this please

check what settings your trying to load , as EPB stands for Electronic Park Brake which you won't have on your car , so make sure it's not ticked

That's what I thought, but I'm sure I didn't have it ticked.

Could be the case of myself downloading what I do have (from entering my vin) compared to what the software says I have installed and I'm trying to turn stuff on. Ill try a different way at the weekend and see how I go.

Any idea why I can't turn anything on under GEM tab?

Thanks Pree

That's what I thought, but I'm sure I didn't have it ticked.

Could be the case of myself downloading what I do have (from entering my vin) compared to what the software says I have installed and I'm trying to turn stuff on. Ill try a different way at the weekend and see how I go.

Any idea why I can't turn anything on under GEM tab?

Thanks Pree

Are you certain , your ELM cable modification is working correctly , check the wiring if i was you

where has civill disapeared to not been on for ages

Anyone know if you can update the gem module software?

I want to get cruise control working on my 2008 Focus but it needs newer software in the module than I have (version 10 installed).

Thanks.

FuF.

As far as i know you can not update the firmware of the GEM module.

There are several different versions of the GEM module which don't all support all possible functions. If your current GEM module/fuse box doesn't support Cruise Control you have to buy a GEM module that does support Cruise Control.

For Cruise Control you need:

The Control knobs on the steering wheel.

The wiring an brake/clutch pedal switches (if not already pre-fitted from the factory).

GEM module that does support Cruise Control.

PCM with Cruise Control support.

It is very easy to program a new GEM module to your car. You can copy all of the settings and the VIN number to the new GEM module with ELMconfig.

I have programmed a full options Kuga GEM module (this is the same as the Focus MK2.5) into my Focus MK2. I needed another GEM module to retrofit the factory alarm and heated seats. My GEM module has also software version V10 and fully supports Cruise Control.

So if version 10 software works are you saying that it's just a question of copying settings from a car with cruise working?

Or is it gem module version (hardware) dependent?

I have the 4spoke wheel with cruise buttons, brake and clutch switches and pcm with cruise activated.

FuF.

There are different (hardware) versions of the GEM module with the same software version (V10).

All GEM modules are technical the same but the lower spec GEM modules don't support all functions because of missing parts inside (contact pins, relays etc.).

If your current GEM module doesn't support Cruise Control it's most likely a hardware problem. In this case you have to buy a different GEM module and reprogram it to match the options of your car.

If you can post the part number of your GEM module i can find out whether it supports Cruise Control or not. The part number looks like 7M5T-14A073-XX (where XX stand for the version of the module).

Yes, It is no problem to replace a 4M5T module with a 7M5T module. I have done this myself. The connectors are exactly the same but some of the connectors are on other locations at the module so you may have to re-locate the wiring loom to make it fit perfectly.

The 4M5T modules are replaced by the 7M5T modules. You can't buy the 4M5T modules anymore from a Ford dealership.

I have searched for info for the part number of your GEM module but there is no info available anymore for this part number. Probably because it's an older part that is replaced bij the newer 7M5T module.

Thanks - that's really helpful.

Do all 7M5T units work with cruise control?

FuF.

Hi,

I purchased a cable last week and stupidly rushed in and added the switch before testing. I didn't have time or daylight over christmas to try it on the car and have run into a bit of a problem.

When I attached the cable to the car and run ELM-FF2 I receive a CAN ERROR (below). I assumed that I has wired the switch up incorrectly. However, on returning the cable to its original state I still receive the same error when attempting to read the configuration. Any ideas?

It may be that the laptop I'm using is the problem - fresh Win 7 install. However, I have the drivers installed, com port set and bit rate set at 38400.

I have 2 other laptops I can try - Win 7 and old XP if that helps??

Thanks in advance

* ŒÚÍ˚Ú ÔÓÚ COM3

* ◊ÚÂÌË ÍÓÌÙË„Û‡ˆËË ËÁ ÏÓ‰ÛΡ IPC (Control panel)

> ATZ

< ELM327 v1.5

> ATSP6

< OK

> ATSH720

< OK

> 1087

< CAN ERROR

! ÃÓ‰Ûθ Ì ÓÚ‚ÂÚËÎ ËÎË ÓÚÒÛÚÒÚ‚ÛÂÚ

* ◊ÚÂÌË ÍÓÌÙË„Û‡ˆËË ËÁ ÏÓ‰ÛΡ BCM (GEM ÏÓ‰Ûθ) [◊‡ÒÚ¸ 1]

> ATZ

< ELM327 v1.5

> ATSPB

< OK

> ATSH726

< OK

> 1087

< CAN ERROR

! ÃÓ‰Ûθ Ì ÓÚ‚ÂÚËÎ ËÎË ÓÚÒÛÚÒÚ‚ÛÂÚ

You may have wired it incorrect in the beginning and then returning it to original state you may have the wires the wrong way around.

Can Error is usually when it's in the incorrect switch position , so if you cable is not working in original position under HEC then switch the two wires , it then it works you can go back to wiring it correctly.

But the fault is not the PC or windows 7

The switch in Original State will Read and write to HEC module, wired in switch will allow it to Read and Write to GEM.

Thanks - that's really helpful.

Do all 7M5T units work with cruise control?

FuF.

No, the lower spec GEM modules don't support Cruise Control.

It is very difficult to find out which part numbers do support Cruise Control.

I have got a GEM module with part number 7M5T-14A073-JF and this one definately supports Cruise Control.

Is there still any way to reprogram PCM module for cruise control myself or is only way to do it to bring my car to Ford mechanic who does have Ford IDS and is willing to use it? I got quote of EUR 150 for reprogramming the module which seems a bit high price for me (unless they guarantee results for that price and fix everything if something goes wrong).

Thanks - all I can think is I've perhaps put the connector back on the board the wrong way (changing the pin layout)

I'll switch the connectors round and retry in the morning

Stu

You may have wired it incorrect in the beginning and then returning it to original state you may have the wires the wrong way around.

Can Error is usually when it's in the incorrect switch position , so if you cable is not working in original position under HEC then switch the two wires , it then it works you can go back to wiring it correctly.

But the fault is not the PC or windows 7

The switch in Original State will Read and write to HEC module, wired in switch will allow it to Read and Write to GEM.

Is there still any way to reprogram PCM module for cruise control myself or is only way to do it to bring my car to Ford mechanic who does have Ford IDS and is willing to use it? I got quote of EUR 150 for reprogramming the module which seems a bit high price for me (unless they guarantee results for that price and fix everything if something goes wrong).

The only way to activate Cruise Control in the PCM is to reprogram the PCM with IDS or another suitable diagnosis interface that can perform software updates. It is not possible to do it yourself unless you own the proper equipment.

Success - with daylight comes clarity and some common sense :)

While I new my soldering was good I did not count on the plastic pin connector (to board) to be the wrong way round from factory. When I removed the connector from the board I did not make a note of its orinetation and used an image from the start of the thread. This meant that my cable would not work as the pins were all incorrect.

I've just managed to connect and save down a few options from the IPC tab - I'll need to rewire a new switch (as I destroyed the last one.... ) and I should be good for BCM

My cable came from the same supplier linked on the first page of this thread - However, the PCB inside had a different layout so double check when you put yours back together ;)

Stu

Thanks - all I can think is I've perhaps put the connector back on the board the wrong way (changing the pin layout)

I'll switch the connectors round and retry in the morning

Stu

Main thing I want to do is enable cruise control and ensure it doesn't cause any havoc - I don't have the other parts to do the rest of the mod yet, but enabling it is one hurdle (assuming it isn't one of the cars which has to go to ford, only for them to smile and say no.)

Will keep you posted.

Hows the elm327 modifications working for you mate?

Did you enable RDS in the centre screen and eco mode display?

Could somebody share saved the RCM config file from ELM-FF2 and ELMCONFIG program.

When i try to change the auto locking speed it reports that there was an error and hasnt received any data for byte 0, 1 or 2... what could be causing this? i am able to change every other setting just not the ones on that screen (no settings change)

No, the lower spec GEM modules don't support Cruise Control.

It is very difficult to find out which part numbers do support Cruise Control.

I have got a GEM module with part number 7M5T-14A073-JF and this one definately supports Cruise Control.

Being able to activate Cruise control configuration in GEM with the ELM cable means the GEM supports Cruise Control?

No, The Cruise Control setting can be selected in every Focus 2 GEM module but if the module doesn't support Cruise Control it simply doesn't work.