Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program

Preee

If they used the kuga programming as a base then possibly...I know they didn't use St as a base because RS programming is different to ST.. As above one difference is that it's more difficult to flash maps through obd port because of some kind of security... Security I gather the KUGA also shares... But there's also a possibility that they may not of transferred it over... RS would though seem more plausible than ST though.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

RB2004

what security are you talking about? did you try to flash stock RS module or after some firmware modification, for example from revo etc.? for my understanding the programming principles are the same on kuga, ST, RS. I flashed the kuga and ST but i have no RS modules in my own so the only attempt was to read the calibration from revo vehicle - without success, when I requested the memory address module answered with NRC 31 - request out of range.. what will happen if to take the stock RS and try to enter the programming mode, pass the seed request and give a command to erase and flash firmware?

The security problem doesn't exist when flashing ford calibration firmware.

But remappers experienced some kind of security, ST they could remap via obd port, but RS had to be bench remapped direct to chip and also the Kuga.

So there was some kind of security in the RS and KUGA which didn't exist on the ST.

So assumption was / is that the calibration written for the ST is like a 1st Generation, then once launched they stopped throwing development money / time at writing the calibration and only fixed problems.

Then when KUGA was released that was like a 2nd generation of the calibration.

Then RS released and that had a 3rd generation which maybe why people can't accurately read the configuration from the PCM even though it works fine on St and RS.

So as each car was launched, the calibration software evolved as it was developed leading up to vehicle launch but ford won't spend money bringing the calibration up to current evolution on previously released models as it costs money.

There is 5 years between ST and RS, so as a company like ford, you will have developed the calibration in order to launch the RS but why will you spend money updating calibration of a vehicle that has been already on sale for 5 years to current evolution... It doesn't make financial sense, especially when you are about to end production and bring out an entirely new model the mk3... It would be considered a waste of money.

But reason it evolved between ST, KUGA, and RS is because it reflects how ford is moving forward with development, so as part of the development process developing the latest vehicle you are going to use the current calibration as a starting point, not one which is 5 years old.

I could be wrong and stand to be corrected, but it explains why despite all 3 vehicles having same ecu, 1 can be remapped via obd port, and other 2 can't.

I've recently noticed that the option to adjust steering settings on my cluster has disappeared?

Doesn't matter if car is moving or stopped with clutch pedal down, I can get into all the other menu's as usual. I've just had a play with the ELMconfig software and can't see any options in the cluster settings which would affect this, looking in the EHPAS module screen it's blank of any info apart from the VIN but I can't remember if it's always been like that.

If it helps I'm running the ROM512 HEC firmware, no idea if the setting disappeared when I upgraded as it's rare that I'd even look at it.

Any ideas?

Make sure that on the HEC Module on Page 2 that you have all the menu boxes ticked

HECConfigPg2.jpg

• Like 1

RB2004

understand your point, many thanks for the explanations!

when i investigated this issue i found out that the st/rs and kuga have many differences in PCMs, such as for example security keys or memory addressing. at the same time st and rs are the same regarding these points. also st and rs can have the one module from the same set of Bosch modules, here are their numbers:

but no of them can be installed on kuga, it can have only next:

so i thought that this is the cause of situation why i can't read the kuga module and can't flash the custom calibration into it via obd. and was sure that st and rs are completely the same and there should not be any issues with rs. seems that i was mistaken..

troy45

you need to take the latest ELMConfig version (0.2.15), it has a tick on Page 1 of configuration marked as a steering menu availability.

107e3faac0e1t.jpg

Kuga probably has different part number because of the AWD system, the engine ECU has to communicate with the AWD system.

Like the DPF and Non-DPF versions being different pcm also on diesel models, suspect the AWD variant and DPF variants are more expensive, maybe have more memory? Capability? Or Faster processor? Don't know... So ford don't use it as a universal pcm instead have a high and low level one because from production standpoint low level version saves them money.

If you were to go to your ford dealer and order a pcm for the focus ST and RS and 2.5 kuga you would get the exact same blank PCM

Also don't superchips/bluefin do a plug and play handset for the RS that can do remapping ?

Regarding RS not sure but know when RS first come out they couldn't no, it was bench reflash because they had to drill out the security bolts and open the ECu to flash them unless somebody has cracked fords security

They must of cracked the security then, have had 4 years now.

Because originally they wasn't able to flash it

They must of cracked the security then, have had 4 years now.

Because originally they wasn't able to flash it

It's the usual cycle of new protocols/security being brought in, then eventually clever people work out how to bypass it and the floodgates open.

Took ages for Superchips to bring out maps for the ST170 as it was harder breaking into the Black Oak ecu. Then with Focus ST one of Ford's software updates (coded as BUG level ironically) meant that you couldn't reload handset maps like Dreamscience & Bluefin if you'd had car in at a dealer with standard map loaded and they did any updates to PCM software. Took a few months for that to be worked round, possibly done by someone in Israel but not 100% on that.

Make sure that on the HEC Module on Page 2 that you have all the menu boxes ticked

Ah ha! mine only has one or 2 of those ticked - did try doing 1 more to see if anything changed, couldn't remember what it was set to originally.

Hopefully that will do the trick, many thanks matey :D

Ah ha! mine only has one or 2 of those ticked - did try doing 1 more to see if anything changed, couldn't remember what it was set to originally.

Hopefully that will do the trick, many thanks matey :D

The factory default is for the first 2 to be ticked so that when you reach 5-10mpg you cannot access the rest so by ticketing all the boxes opens them all.

The factory default is for the first 2 to be ticked so that when you reach 5-10mpg you cannot access the rest so by ticketing all the boxes opens them all.

Been out and had a play tonight and still can't get the option to come up on the menu :( tried various combinations of menu settings ticked and un-ticked, plus tried disabling the FFH setting in GEM which I used to get clock setting back on the cluster.

Only thing I've got in mind now is that I might need to drive the car for a bit to let it sort itself out - this seemed the case when I previously enabled FFH to activate clock setting again though that was from the HS can not in the GEM.

Can't be this complicated surely?

To be honest I'm out of ideas myself

Don't worry it's not a massive issue as I can still use the ELM software to change setting if needed, I just get too picky about things not working properly :rolleyes:

The help is still appreciated :)

• Like 1

Did you select the "ECO Shift Up" checkbox on the first configuration page of the instrument cluster? Selecting the "ECO Shift Up" checkbox on a car which does not support this function is known to cause this problem.

• Like 1

Did you select the "ECO Shift Up" checkbox on the first configuration page of the instrument cluster? Selecting the "ECO Shift Up" checkbox on a car which does not support this function is known to cause this problem.

I reckon I do have that ticked - probably thinking it had to do with making the shift light function work, even though the arrow is the wrong colour and it's very rare I'd need to rev the car that high :rolleyes:

I'll give that a try thanks for the advice :)

I would go back to 509 and see if the function comes back

That's just become my plan B if plan A above doesn't do the trick, cheers :) Most of the extra functions of 512 are redundant on my car now anyhow since I changed the headunit, apart from ECO mode which just reminds me how economical the ST is :P

Good news :)

Spent some time this evening checking the various menu's, I disabled the tick for Eco Shift up box in the HEC Level 2/3 section but that didn't work. Tried a few more things like turning off ESP tickbox, and a couple of other options. Turned ignition off and on again each time and eventually the Steering Settings appeared at last.

Bit more trial and error and it turned out that having the Shift Up Indicator set on page 1 was the problem. It does say Shift Up Indicator (Level 1) Hill Hold Menu (MPS6) (Level 2/3) and I think my cluster is Level 2 so maybe that's something to do with it?

Anyhow we got there in the end without having to implement Plan B, though it was getting close ;)

Hi Troy,

Very pleased to see that you have finally been able to wring the neck of this problem without having to reflash the old firmware!

Cheers, mate! ;-)

• Like 1

Hi Troy,

Very pleased to see that you have finally been able to wring the neck of this problem without having to reflash the old firmware!

Cheers, mate! ;-)

Thanks Fabrice, it was a team effort :)

Hey all so what does ' Port com 3 port already open' mean,also i've rewired the elm327 the Mscan/Hscan work i think? To active the auto headlights / wipers is it as simple as tick and save?.cant seem to get the MS CAN side to work after i put in my vin # i click on READ it comes up with the Port COM3 error: Unable to open connection to Port already open Com1 Unable to open serial port

What have i missed please help?

Edited by nealej

Usually that suggests something else has a hold of the port, unlike USB serial com ports can only be used by one process at a time, shut down the computer and re load it, make sure all other programs closesd, is it defo com3 your after?