Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing overcharge Doh!

olliebr

hi all,

*new member alert*

ok so im coming clean and im hoping for suggestions along with a few 'as if you did that' reactions

ok so basically i get a quote on a 37500 service from Ford including VAT, i wrote it down and put to one side at home,

I have the service and pay it up (£288) with no extra stuff needed,

I get home and chat with parents who remember the quote being less than that, so (my memory isnt as keen) I go and dig out my bit of paper on and find the quote was £252 meaning im £36 out of pocket

so its my fault because i didnt query it (i didnt realise due to not looking at the quote before), but surely Ford should honour their quote (i got quote and booked service in one call with one person)

any ideas on what i do?

am i likely to have sucess getting the money back?

thanks in advance,

Regards,

BROW

hi all,

*new member alert*

ok so im coming clean and im hoping for suggestions along with a few 'as if you did that' reactions

ok so basically i get a quote on a 37500 service from Ford including VAT, i wrote it down and put to one side at home,

I get home and chat with parents who remember the quote being less than that, so (my memory isnt as keen) I go and dig out my bit of paper on and find the quote was £252 meaning im £36 out of pocket

so its my fault because i didnt query it (i didnt realise due to not looking at the quote before), but surely Ford should honour their quote (i got quote and booked service in one call with one person)

any ideas on what i do?

thanks in advance,

Regards,

BROW

You could chance your mit and query it but i wouldn't leave it too long because it will only allow them to ask why it's taken so long to ask them in the first place. If they're a decent garage they 'might' honour the original quote 'if' you can prove it.ie did you go into the garage and ask for a quote and is it on 'headed paper'? ( from reading your post it seems that this was a verbal quote so chances are that they won't accept it )

hi all,

*new member alert*

any ideas on what i do?

thanks in advance,

Regards,

BROW

Firstly, go down to the dealer with your previous quote and present your case.

It'll be worth a try but they will probably say that the price they quoted initially was just an estimated one..........

But like others have said, nothing ventured nothing gained!

• 2 months later...

My Ford dealers service Manager told me that they don't always change the fluids eg hydraulic in brakes/clutch, and power steering, as they can now check the water content, to see if renewal is really needed.

Also, stripping & cleaning the brakes, can lead to some descaling of the discs, -- man-hours are expensive. ( £69 +VaT at my Dealership in Inverness, even more in the affluent belt of the SE of England, Audi are OTT )

The 3 year service IS a biggie, usually includes antifreeze, as well, but some cars have ultra-long life stuff, which can be topped up with concentrate, after a strength check.

It looks like a bit of a coincidence that your £36 equates to the VaT that would suit your estimate, if that had been a raw figure, as people often get given.

I'd go along with the quote they gave you being excluding VAT, dealerships usually quote this price as it makes the cost seem sweeter. They arent doing anything illegal as long as they make you aware on your receipt that VAT amounts to the difference. TBH if I was going to rip someone off, I'd do it for a hell of a lot more than £36. Also, when doing a 37,500 mile service you dont really know whats going to need replacing so they usually quote a basic charge then you are left to assume any parts needed would be on top of this charge. £252 would amount to around 3 hours labour as most service depts at Ford Dealership charge anywhere between £65 & £100 an hour in labour charges alone after VAT is added. Its feasable that a major service could take 3 hours especially stripping brakes down and servicing them as well.

the price will have been void of VAT, 252/100x15+252=289.80.

so by the looks of it you are in pocket by 1.80, though that wont even buy you a pint these days....

the price will have been void of VAT, 252/100x15+252=289.80.

so by the looks of it you are in pocket by 1.80, though that wont even buy you a pint these days....

It'll pay for the petrol it used to take it to them for the service :lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club