Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Change Speedo Illumination

johnH

Hi folks, thought id do a quickie guide on how to change the green illumination within your speedo units...as you can see from the following link and pictures included, i have done this myself and works. i will be happy to help anyone, just ask away.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/16546-led-conversion-and-other-mods/

what you need:

- soldering iron (point nib)

- solder and flux

- tweezers (or some other item to hold SMD LED's

- Desoldering braid

- torx screw drivers

- flat head screw drivers

- Fork

- masking tape

- time, approx 3 hours (taking time and breaks)

- Experience and Nerve to do this. (if it goes wrong, worst case scenerio is new cluster - £700 from ford!!!)

you can purchase the required LED's here: (i am in no way affiliated)

https://www.crazyleds.co.uk/PLCC-2-3528/

i personally bought 30 as it leaves spares, just incase i cooked any as they are really heat sensitive.

1) disconnect you battery (precautionary measure)

2) pull steering wheel towards you and leave unlocked

3) pull the plastic cowling away from the top of the steering wheel connected to the speedo, to reveal 2x torx screws

4) unscrew torx screws and put somewhere secure

5) pull the unit away from dash, the unit itself has a clip on the top about half way...it is very difficult but it will come away with effort.

6) unplug the unit from the car and head to work station.

7) remove the plastic cover, 5 clips around the outside (black)

8) using some tape mark down where the needles sit at rest (dont twist them, its difficult to recallibrate)

9) using the fork remove the needles (the grey base may come off, thats fine) but again dont twist needles!!!

10) remove the black speedo face

11) remove small LCD screen, it slides towards bottom and pulls away...place in safe place.

11) around outside of the remaining unit is white clips...undo these carefully and ply into two parts.

12) you are now left with a white plastic cover and the PCB inside.

13) around the outside of the pcb is more white clips holding it, carefully prize off and remove the PCB.

14) from here you remove old SMD LED's, use the soldering iron on coolest setting (if possible) be very very careful not to have it too hot...you will know if it is as the pads on the circuit board will come up with the LED...damaging the circuit if you dont know what your doing! so again dont do it if you have no experiance....get someone who has!!!

15) solder in the new LEDS and reassemble. enjoy new illuminations

i have attached the picture guide to this thread, in order, (thanks to crazyleds.co.uk)

again check the link above to see my work

post-17334-0-30673600-1331665346_thumb.j

post-17334-0-84662500-1331665348_thumb.j

post-17334-0-17767800-1331665351_thumb.j

post-17334-0-38252600-1331665354_thumb.j

post-17334-0-65462200-1331665357_thumb.j

post-17334-0-10683000-1331665360_thumb.j

post-17334-0-92991700-1331665362_thumb.j

post-17334-0-55474100-1331665365_thumb.j

post-17334-0-41381100-1331665343_thumb.j

• Like 1

here's some more photos of what could be achieved...thanks jim for sharing your piccy's. he's done a little more than this guide has explained but using this you get the general idea of how to...if you wish for more info please dont hesitate to contact me.

given time i will post up a how to for the climate controls, window controls etc.

enjoy.

post-17334-0-32311000-1331665610_thumb.j

post-17334-0-84003100-1331665639_thumb.j

post-17334-0-99935200-1331665672_thumb.j

could some one move this to the guides page :D

could some one move this to the guides page :D

Copy&Paste works on all sections of this forum not just the guide section ;)

Pree's Door Handle Illumination Guide from FOC now on FFOC copied and pasted

Nice Guide John,

fair play to you for having th balls to disect your cluster, and with excellent results their mate.

i did have a lot of help from Michael at crazyleds.co.uk (he's local to me so that went in my favour lol) as i say though, this one is not of faint hearted and the inexperienced.

and i forgot the disclaimer: i and FOC will not take any responsibility for anyone who tries this and messes it up! it is your responsibility only.

• 1 year later...

hi JohnH,

that is an awesome mod and looks amazing. I have been looking to do something like this for a while now and am now on my way. do you have any idea if it is even possible to change the backlighting on the standard CD player in the 2007 LT focus's?

many thanks Pommie5037 :)

Theres no reason you couldnt, but you would have to disassemble the stereo itself to get access to the LED's.

Thanks for that, I don't really have much confidence in changing the SMD's myself but have managed to find a guy that will do it for me so fingers crossed ill have it done next week

sorry for the late reply I have been really tied down with work commitments and its getting to a point where its a joke.

Anyways I have managed to change the leds on the Sony 6000CD dead easy to do. Just take your time and ensure your soldering iron isn't too hot.

• 11 months later...

Thread resurrection!

John, which type of smd LEDs did you use for the cluster?

John's been away from the forums due to work for a while so may not get back soon!