Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Which Is Best

Robbogfc

Hi all,

I hear tell that some supermarket fuels are not all they should be.

Is it worth me paying the extra for say bp or Shell.

I have a new 1.6 econetic which is already giving me around 65MPG.

I was just wondering if I would get even better by not using supermarket fuels being the tight git that i am.

I'm on Tesco Esso fuel and getting 52mpg average according to the computer with a heavy foot. Cheapest around at 141.9 >_>

all fuels sold in the UK conform to basic EN european standards so in theory should all be the same, but some can be slightly better than the standard whereas others are dead on. also the standard is tested straight after fractioning, so older fuel will probably have degraded a bit by the time it reaches your car.

http://www.thorneymo...uary_2010.shtml

"The bottom line is, for the most part there is precious little difference in fuel economy between the big branded fuels and supermarket offerings with the latter supplying some of the best fuels in the test..."

I use Sainsburys fuel (which is rumored to be BP) and my MPG seems to be better than when I was using Shell for months and months... It's also closer and I get Nectar points! Boom... think of the points ;)

I get points on my Shell Drivers card & it's usually within a penny or 2 of the supermarkets in Milton Keynes so I use them :)

I get 5mpg better economy on a run when using Esso rather than Asda. This has only been since last August. Prior to that I wouldnt have noticed any difference.

I work at a sainsburys petrol station, our fuel comes from greenenergy :)

the only diffrence is branded fuels i.e esso have added cleaning chemicals to the fuel so in the long run your car will run 'cleaner'

the only diffrence is branded fuels i.e esso have added cleaning chemicals to the fuel so in the long run your car will run 'cleaner'

Or worse it will dislodge the crap that has been stuck for years, causing blockages deep in the block.

I tend to use Shell where possible, but... if doing a long journey (400+ miles) I use the V Power Diesel, it makes a difference and returns good MPG.

I have heard that Morrison's diesel can damage some cars though, someone on my forum had this problem.

I would also recommend the Miller diesel fuel additive once every so often too!

Hi Folks

I didnt think Diesel Engines Had Knock sensors ??

Running your car on premium diesel will be good for it as it has a higher cetane rating.

My car packed up after using millers diesel ecomax !!

Jamie

I didnt think Diesel Engines Had Knock sensors ??

you're right, they don't.

knock (or pre-ignition) can't occur in a diesel engine until the fuel/air reaches the required compression for self ignition.

to be honest i dont see much difference in mpg depending on where i buy my fuel but do get slightly better when i use the premium fuel eg. V Power at Shell and i like to use the premium 1 out of 3 fill ups its supposed to better for your engine bt ca cost 10p a litre more than standard fuel.

Hi put in £25 worth of Shell on Saturday reset all the settings MPG has gone up from 52 at a push to 56/58 over night.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club