Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brand New Fiesta Edge Tdci Brake Problems

Patrick73

Sorry its a bit long.

Hi

My Wife has just got last friday a Fiesta Edge TDCi on a 3 yer lease.

The problem is it seems to have a intermittent brake pedal problem.

For the first 25 miles it worked Ok, But when I got into the car and the first time I pressed the brake pedal in sank to the floor and had very little braking effect.

After a while the pedal came back to the top after some more presses while driving the car.

Then the following day I did a brake test by doing the following, i press the brake pedal 10 times with the engine off and it went really hard and I held my foot on the pedal and started the car and the brake pedal

went down a little bit. From what I had read on the internet that is normal. andis what the page said it should do.

So thinking maybe its ok now. We used the car again on that day. On the night time I had my 2 kids and wife in the car and while doing 50 mph the brake pedal lost all pressure and the pedal went to the floor again. with little braking affect again

After two pumps of the pedal i pressed the pedal again and the third time the pressure was back and the brakes worked again.

I have had this into a ford main dealer and they have bled the brakes and took it out for a 50 mile run and nothing, so they are saying its fine.

We are not happy but we are not willing to take this car out again due to the problem.

Has any one any idea what could be wrong etc as its ot us worried.

And we are been messed about by the the lease company she got it from.

Thanks

It sounds like air is getting into the brake system although you say the dealer has bled the brakes.

There is no way i would be driving that vehicle in the condition you describe.

I was told if there was air in the system, then we would not have had the brakes from day 1.

From what I read if there is air in the system then bleeding should fix it. But as the Ford dealer says it did not happen again within 50 miles then there is no fault.

I guess bleeding might have fixed it, but we are not willing to risk a crash etc, but not sure what to do.

Thanks

You cannot 'bleed' brakes if air is getting in at the master cylinder.

It sounds like the master cylinder has gone, or has an intermittent seal.

Does fluid level stay the same?

I'd get an independent garage that does M.O.T's to do the standard brake efficiency test and then if anything is found take the evidence to the lease company and Ford and kick right off.

The safety of yourself and your family is something they can't take lightly.

If they're still not helpful then i think Trading Standards would be useful to have on board.

I'd then reject the car as not fit for purpose, it is your right.

Stand your ground.

I have been in touch with the Local Ford Dealer and they claim, all they did was put it up on the ramps and look for any leaks, as they could not find any they bled the brakes and then took it for a 50 mile run. and it did not happen again.

?

Cheers

I have been in touch with the Local Ford Dealer and they claim, all they did was put it up on the ramps and look for any leaks, as they could not find any they bled the brakes and then took it for a 50 mile run. and it did not happen again.

?

Cheers

Tell them to check the master cylinder as it's not something you would lie about. Give them the car for a week.

If your dealer isn't going to do much, then contact your lease company about it and say it's dangerous to drive, sounds like a dodgy master cylinder to me (just to support others with the same theory).

I have let the wife use the car today and she said the brake pedal is a lot higher than what it was before they bled the brakes. from the first 25 miles which is when she picked the car up from the lease compnays dealer drop off point.

So it looks like they might have fixed it, so going to give it aother try and hopefully its done.

The ford dealer we took it to told me how they wold test it, which from the sound of it would only me long runs and to me we could test it better as we are urban drivers so lots more use of the brake's.

thanks to everyones help. hopefully its sorted out. fingers crossed.

Cheers

My Wife's Fiesta had a very low brake pedel. It had only covered 7k. So I took the rear drums off and found the shoes had lot of adjustment to go. I adjusted them manually and things are 100% better.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club