Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Smart Service Plan

Sara Fiesta

Hi Folks

Iam doing a scheme at work that i put £20 a month away for 3 years.

I can buy shares or take the money at the end of the agreement.

Best bit about it is that i dont have to pay income tax on that money or national insurance and nor do i pay any other tax when the account matures.

See if ure work does a similar scheme (i work for morrisons and its with the yorkshire bank)

Jamie

Our company scheme I put £215 away each month for 45 years. Its my pension. Just hope to God there's some left by the time I retire. Ive already got to work another 5 years to get it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sara Fiesta

• cuke

• catch

• NorthSussex

Hi BTMolden

Seperate to this subject post

I will not live to pensionable age so iam not bothering to pay into any pension scheme.

PM me if your concerned by what i have sent

Jamie

Hi BTMolden

Seperate to this subject post

I will not live to pensionable age so iam not bothering to pay into any pension scheme.

PM me if your concerned by what i have sent

Jamie

Jamie, don’t be a pessimist, you could live to be 100 and still driving a Ford, but I bet it won’t be running on petrol or diesel.

To be honest, I had this on my Focus when there was no warranty, and it was a good deal, saved me pulling a few hundred quid out the bank each year as the service and MOT where paid for. 10% dscount on parts and labour came in tremendously handy, given that my car was more like a sofa in their workshop than an infrequent guest... I found it was worthwhile, and saves a lump in your wallet, but perhaps not on a brand new car...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,I bought my car new a couple of weeks ago and was not going to purchase this plan myself at first, but in the end I did because I felt it was a good deal,for a start I took it over three years but I only pay for 31 months,it is interest free,it guards against inflation for three years and also if there was a car with a full dealer history for sale and one without I know witch I would buy,it all comes down to personnel choice, but if I was putting money in bank every month I know I would be tempted to take it out when I was short,paying the plan every month at least I know my services are paid for,sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant lol...

Hi everyone,I bought my car new a couple of weeks ago and was not going to purchase this plan myself at first, but in the end I did because I felt it was a good deal,for a start I took it over three years but I only pay for 31 months,it is interest free,it guards against inflation for three years and also if there was a car with a full dealer history for sale and one without I know witch I would buy,it all comes down to personnel choice, but if I was putting money in bank every month I know I would be tempted to take it out when I was short,paying the plan every month at least I know my services are paid for,sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant lol...

Hi Alfie,

Hope you don't mind me asking but are your payment about the same as I was quoted ?

No I don't mind at all Sara,I am paying £19 a month and last payment is slightly more over 31 months,but my car is a fiesta, I thought about it a bit first and obviously they want to sell you the plan,but I haven't regretted it,I'm basically saving up every month and I end up with a full dealer service history on my car and my first mot paid for and it does guard you against inflation,who know's how much servicing will cost in future..

No I don't mind at all Sara,I am paying £19 a month and last payment is slightly more over 31 months,but my car is a fiesta, I thought about it a bit first and obviously they want to sell you the plan,but I haven't regretted it,I'm basically saving up every month and I end up with a full dealer service history on my car and my first mot paid for and it does guard you against inflation,who know's how much servicing will cost in future..

Hi, I was going to put money away each month but that didn't happen, so I'll just pay the cost when the time comes, a few work colleagues have similar schems and they're pleased it spreads the costs.

Like you I like to have a full dealer service. :)

Same here, I see it this way - if you know your service is going to cost at least £600 over three years, and you have the option to pay £20 a month for three years, and its fixed price - Its worth it. your going to save considerably, your going to be protected, and your paying small chunks rather than hitting your credit card with a massive whollap.

I would prefer to break things down, think of it this way, either commit to three years, the length most people intend to keep their car for, and spend about the same as you would on the service, or, pay a hefty price on your credit card, and pay the interest, and then see that lump sum disappear out of your bank account.

I know it doesnt always work, but it worked for me, no warranty, and more visits to Ford than the service Manager, so I paid for it and benefited from it. Others will see it as a waste, because to them, it will be.

also if there was a car with a full dealer history for sale and one without I know witch I would buy,it all comes down to personnel choice

I understand your logic there, but to quote Albert Einstein

" reality is an illusion, all be it a persistent one"

As an earlier post of mine indicates, Main Dealers don't always do what they state they will do, or are required to do as per Ford Scheduled service Plans.

And in the service outlined in that earlier post whilst they did remove and replace the spark plugs. Unfortunately as the car in question was an early build Mk2, it suffered from the "Water in Plug Ports Issue" A well known to dealerships issue, as they must have seen thousands of these cars presenting themselves at dealerships come service time with that very issue. But what did they do in my case, rectify it ? Nope......Make me aware of the problem ? Nope.....Drain the water off prior to removing the old plugs? Giving their track record on that particular service, I very much doubt it.....no doubt all that rusty water went into the engine.

sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant lol...
No need to apologise, some of my best posts are what you could call rants. :rolleyes:

Anyway as it happens I had my car in for a service yesterday, a one man band independent with an impeccable local record. He checked every thing that was down for checking, Plug ports checked, needless to say.....dry as snuff. Extracted plugs, in excellent condition with correct colouring indicating fuelling is spot on. How do I know all this? I stood there and watched him do the service. I provided my own Castrol Magnatec fully synthetic oil, he provided the filter. And the total cost of the service including the cost of the oil came to £58.

Now my car is over six years old, but he would show the same diligence if it was a year old. The moral of the story is, there is nothing to stop anybody having a new car serviced at a garage of their choice.

I'm not ashamed to say I have brass in my bank account to pay my bills, simply because throughout my life time I always resisted companies telling me. That my Brass was better off being deposited into their bank accounts on a monthly basis.

Well there are the odd exception to that rule, energy companies for one, obviously to obtain best deals. And Credit Cards, where I use their money free of charge for up to six weeks by settling the account in full every month.

Now that's what you call a rant :D

You make some good point's,I used an independent garage for going on 15 year's for my servicing and was always pleased with the work they carried out on my car's,I have used the same main dealer to service my car's for the last six year's and I am very happy with the work they have done also.i just think the smart plus is a good idea and offered an opinion,it work's for some not for other's,interestingly I never watched the independent garage service my cars but I have my main dealer and have been very impressed with what I have seen,I am not a grumpy old man and am not offended by someone else's opinion's lol...

I am not a grumpy old man and am not offended by someone else's opinion's lol...

Neither am I, actually I'm a bit of a comedian really. The signature is a bit of tongue in cheek humour.................which is there primarily to deflect handbags swings from peeps without one. :D

just had a second year service on my car, where the guy at the ford dealers reccomended i took up a ford service plan... surely as i now only have 1 year left on the warranty it wouldn't be worth it because as soon as the warranty ends ill be taking it to a local dealer for half the price lol

2nd year service/25 000 miles came to £195 ouch lol

also he recommended getting the brake fluid changed with the 2nd yr service which i disagreed to.

car only has 6600 miles on the clock not that this matters... what are your opinions??

Hi, brake fluid absorbs moisture over time, its not about the mileage..

Chris

Im a £20 a month man, plus you have the choice of where you take it. After the three years (preserving the warranty) its back to DIY.

Well by now most peeps will realise I'm happy with my mechanics advise. And I hear what Chris is saying, and yes I've read the Ford service schedules. Now in the past I've always just left everything up to him service wise. If he said it needed new disks and pads, or new tyres I would just say, get it done, Now I don't know why, it may be an age thing, but I'm overly keen on monitoring the safety aspects of the car these past couple of years. Maybe because the wife and her elderly mother where involved in a head on collision, other oncoming idiot driver lost it at high speed on a bend, anyway that said.

Even though the selling main dealer had done a major service on this car October 2009 prior to me buying it at four years old with 33K on the clock. Me not trusting them [and as it turns out correct not to do so as I've stated elsewhere] Anyway six months on I took it into my man to have the wheels off and check the brakes were in good fettle prior to a belt down to Cornwall. Turns out it had new tyres all round back in August 2008, and by the brake dust in there, the wheels had not been off the car since.

So I said while we are on with it, it would be best to change the brake fluid as well. Now he said he would if I really wanted it done, but he only changes the brake fluid if the braking capacity deteriorates and it ain't down to warn pads of sticking callipers. And as I've never had a brakes issues on any of the cars he has serviced for me, I left it at that.

I know I once changed the brake fluid on my first motor an old Austin A35 van. But as I have been driving for 48 years that's going back some years. :ph34r:

Interesting thread this.

I have also just looked at taking out a three year service plan on my 2012 Focus 1.6 petrol EcoBoost I have been quoted a total cost of £715.26 for three years worth of main dealer servicing, a saving of £106.74 if I paid annually apparently?

But I have to pay £186.49 up front, then 23 payments of £22.99 so 'nothing' to pay in the third year.

The car was registered Feb this year, an this is the bit that is confusing me, according to the service plan I have to have service in June 2012, then June 2013 and the last one on June 2014??

More confusing still, it also states that the plan includes 3 MOT's......??

I also do well below average mileage,but when it come's to brake fluid I have alway's had it replaced every two year's on my car's and the reason I do this is because an independent garage I used for year's who are very good might I add,advised me too and I have carried on doing this since I have let my local ford dealer do my service's.i personally feel better after I've had the word done it give's me a little reassurance that my car is safe,but at the end of the day it is just a personal choice..

@alanw,think they have just made a mistake with you're plan as my car was registered in march this year and it's for 2013/14/15 so worth checking that with them,I didn't pay anything up front for my 3 year plan,but I pay mine over 31 month's at £19 a month for a fiesta so maybe you have a choice there and the mot thing, you can buy the plan's for car's over 3 year's as well,so the you do lose out a little the newer you're car,but this didn't bother me,hope this help's...

Hi, info on brake fluid here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid note the article says that "Brake fluid is subjected to very high temperatures", thus any water in the brake fluid will reduce the boiling point. I have experiance brake fluid becoming overheated, I assure you it isn't fun. Also the article referrs to brake fluid maintaining a low level of compressibility, again any water in the fluid will increase the compressibility leading to a 'spongy', or low, brake pedal.

Brakes are something I personally wouldn't cut corners with, someone's life may be at risk by being given the wrong advice...

Chris

thanks for the information on the brake fluid, but i don't see this as 'cutting corners'. Brakes are obviously very important and if it needed doing I'm sure they would not have given me the choice, it would have been compulsory. Considering this was the salesman's advice, along with a load of other rubbish i decided not to get the brake fluid done as my mate is a mechanic and he said he would do it for half the price lol

And he recommended this before even looking at the car, i personally feel that the brakes are very sharp and responsive. but regardless had my mate check it over and he gave it the all clear.

plus my service nxt year is the main 3 year service which i believe includes brake fluid change (correct me if I'm wrong lol)

Chris,

I don't see it as cutting corners either, if water contamination affects the brake fluid the brakes become spongy. If that was to happen then like I said in my earlier post, I'd have it renewed. All I'm saying is in my experience of buying and running second hand cars over the last 48 years I've changed the brake fluid only once.

If the incidence of failing brakes due to the composition of the brake fluid breaking down after a 24 month period was a safety issue. Changing of the fluid would be compulsory rather than the obligatory / advisable option that it is. And the testing of brake fluid would become part of the MOT test.

I research the back side off tyres before I purchase them, nor do I run tyres down to the legal limit before replacing them. All aspects of keeping the car on the road, under control, and capable of stopping safely comes before all other considerations I give to the car. So I ain't cutting corners, there again I ain't spending money that is not necessary in my opinion. We all shape our views on past experiences, and therefore can come to different conclusions. Me I stopped driving around on hot discs and pads years ago :D

alkyz89 brake fluid is down for changing every two years in the Ford maintenance schedule under the "Extended Period Maintenance" part. But they always ask you if you want it doing, like they did with you, because it's an at extra cost option. So don't expect it to be inclusive of the three year rolling major service schedule, as being free gratis either.

Hi, as I said, persoanlly I'd not take any risk, I like to think I am protecting other people, not just myself. I also liked to think that the car manufacturers get their advice from the companies that supply the fluid, with all of their science to hand. Not someone who just has a opinion...

Chris

I totally agree cuke,i have alway's believed in having the brake fluid changed on my car's every two year's but if I was ever told it needed to be done more frequent then I definitely would whatever the cost...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club