Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel To Fit Fiesta?

renglish

Hi, I have a 61 Fiesta Zetec with 15"x6" 195/50 tyres. My car came with a tyre inflation kit, which I have now used and wish to replace with a spare tyre instead. Having gone back to the dealer, they advised I'd need a space saver as a full sized tyre will not fit in the tyre well without the boot carpet sitting too high/uneven. They therefore sold me a steel spare, a jack and wrench. I then went to Kwik Fit to buy a tyre, and they advised that the spare wheel Ford have sold me is a 14" and that I'd need a 15". However I can't see a 15" spare as an option in the Fiesta brochure. Can anyone advise what I actually need and what the boot will accommodate? Do I need to return my 14" wheel to Ford, or can I get a tyre to fit? It seems odd (to me) that the spare would be a 14" if the car is fitted with 15" wheels.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a Titanium with 16 inch wheels and i have bought a spare wheel kit off eBay that is 14 inch.It is the official spare wheel that ford supplies as an optional extra,and the spare fits perfectly in the wheel recess in boot.

My understanding is they have the same circumferance as 16's are low profile (195/45/16) and the 14 (175/65/14) is not.If i have to use the spare it will only be for a short period until i get 16 replaced.Hope this helps.

I kerbed an alloy 3 days after purchase (I always do that, always within 3 days of new car/wheels) so decided to just replace and use as a spare a few weeks ago and fits fine for me.

The outside diameter of both wheels are the same because the 14" tyre has a larger sidewall than the 16" tyre, therefore it makes no difference. The 14" spare is correct for the car, I have one for mine.

• 3 months later...

Steve - I am after one of these spare wheels too for the same old reason - don't like the inflation/repair kit that came with the car. Is your spare a 'spacesaver' skinny one though ? i have seen them on eBay described as 'spare as supplied by Ford' but I have read that a full size one will be too deep for the wheel well.

I have the normal Zetec, with 15" alloy I think, and I have a full spare alloy and it fits in the well in the boot fine.

You can't buy a jack and brace off Ford though, they will try and sell you a space saver with brace, jack etc.

I have some alarmed searched saved on eBay for the jack and brace to suit, but no joy yet :(

Try breakeryard.net ( I think it's .net) to search scrappies. My spare cost £25 plus £20 for the Jack. Spare came with tyre and when it arrived the fact the tyre has the little nubbins on it it's never been used.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Really struggling to find a spare wheel ( 16" rim ) in N. Lanarkshire, like others don't fancy the inflation or saver options. Help please.

I just got a kit off eBay, 125/80/15 space saver,what i was told to get by a few on here and local vauxhall.

I have 17'' zetec s alloys 205/40/17.

Only cost £55 all in,just missing the foam stuff that it fits into and went for the saver as i don't think

a larger one would fit nice in the well and i would get the wheel fixed the same day so won't be on long.

i just got a 15" spare wheel plus the kit for £65 + £12 delivery from hills breakers fits like a glove

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anyone clarify for me which spare wheels will fit in the well for a Fiesta, early 2012.  Seem to have had so much conflicting advise and if I buy off the internet, it will be difficult to send it back.  My wheels are 15" but I have been assured that 14" will be OK but I can only see 15" space savers for sale and I just don't know if they will fit.  Thanks.

This old topic again.

I have a full size 17inch alloy as my spare. It fits fine, OK the carpet doesn't lay as flat as witha space saver, but hey. it's not the end of the world.

If you use the inflation kit, no one will repair your tyre, you'll have to buy a new one and just hope that the fitter will clean the gung off the rim, don't bank on it.

If you have a spacesaver it's limited to 5omph and a distance of 50miles, not much use if it'd 0200hrs and you are 200 miles from home.

Buy an alloy the same as you already have, then when you change it you can leave it on till you get around to have your flat fixed.

The brakers yard are full of damaged Festers, just spend a little time sourcing one and the jack and wheel brace. Hopefully you will never need it, but if you do, you know that it was money well spent.

Don't buy from a dealer. it's cheaper from a breaker.

• 2 years later...

I have a ford fiesta 11 plate 1.4  edgeTDCI diesel are they meant to come with  a spare tyre ? As I got one I see no tyre just a bag with some break down kit in it and a pump  no jacks ? If so what size wheel is needed ? X

I believe spare wheel was not standard after about 2009 (except it was still standard in Econetic diesels - dont' know why).  It would have been about £100 optional extra.

The usual spare wheel on them (when ordered as an extra) would be 175/65/14 . This is not a skinny spacesaver, but the same as full size wheel on the base models.

This wheel started being used on the 2002 Fiesta when a new model came in that year. Loads of them for sale on eBay. Some could have quite old tyres on them now. All tyres for about the last 30 years have the date of manufacture on one side wall. Four digit code eg.  4607 means week number 46 in 2007 (so would be November 2007).

if you buy a spare the same size as your existing wheels it will fit in the boot well but will probably stick up a bit so your boot floor will be higher and uneven.

Well it is bye bye to the speaker and hello proper spare wheel.

If the carpet does not lie flat I am going to glue some particle foam (the stuff they use in gym mats) to the bottom of the carpet - easy to do and also not too heavy. 

• 8 months later...

hey people,

ive got a 2011 fiesta with the 205/40r17 alloys, im looking for a good full sized steel wheel to use as a spare, what size would be best.

ive been told that a 195/55/r15 would work, does anyone have the same that could recommend the perfect size.

not bothered about the raised floor but after a punchure on the motorway big enough to put my finger in and a useless repair fluid can thing, i want a full sized spare to put on so i can continue the journey and not be held back to 50mph.

If you don’t wAnt to worry about reduced speed you should really buy same size as those on the car.