Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Focus Zetec S 180 Ecoboost Remapping

Jam1e

Hi folks.

I'm a newbie to Fords and the forum, so excuse me if i've posted in the wrong area.

I test drove the Focus zetec s 180 ecoboost today. I love the car, but it would be nice to have a few more horses under the bonnet.

I've had a quick scout on the forum but can not find any info on re-mapping that model . :unsure:

I'm thinking maybe it's too new and the tuning companies haven't sorted a re-map out??

Or is it a case of the cars technology making it un-mappable??

Any info on companies who could map it would be appreciated.

Just to add that i know the risks regarding the warranty if it's found to be mapped/tuned.

Welcome to the Forum.

I would have thought it was too new and tuners have not yet had any examples to experiment with.

Welcome to the Forum.

I would have thought it was too new and tuners have not yet had any examples to experiment with.

Thanks for the reply.

It's strange how i came to a ford really.

I read 2 reviews covering the Vauxhall Insignia and Astra. And though they were positive about both they also said the Mondeo was better than the Insignia and the Focus better than the Astra.

With that in mind i went out to a ford dealer and drove the focus zetec s ecoboost 180. What a cracking car!! :wub:

Which brought me to here :)

Thanks for the reply.

It's strange how i came to a ford really.

I read 2 reviews covering the Vauxhall Insignia and Astra. And though they were positive about both they also said the Mondeo was better than the Insignia and the Focus better than the Astra.

With that in mind i went out to a ford dealer and drove the focus zetec s ecoboost 180. What a cracking car!! :wub:

Which brought me to here :)

Just to add that i'd really like to get it remapped, If i can find a company that can do it that is!! :(

Welcome aboard mate, nice to see a Vauxhall (spit) convert.

Like you said, the warranty will come into consideration and also declaring it to your insurance.

if you really love the car, just sit on the remap for now and at least you know that when a map is available and the warranty isn't a factor, then your engine will have loosened up a bit and the map will be much better for it.

Thanks for the welcome folks :)

As soon as i walked into the showroom i knew i had made my choice!

This is the first thing i saw when i walked into the showroom

post-31274-0-52013100-1332257973_thumb.j

Thanks for the welcome folks :)

As soon as i walked into the showroom i knew i had made my choice!

This is the first thing i saw when i walked into the showroom

Then this. And i was hooked! :wub:

post-31274-0-13814000-1332258345_thumb.j

Shiny Shiny. :)

And theres this one :wub:

post-31274-0-77182900-1332265896_thumb.j

And theres this one :wub:

And this one! :wub:

Can you tell i'm soooo excited!!?? :D :D :D

post-31274-0-78852500-1332266068_thumb.j

Shiny Shiny, Oh so very Shiny indeed.

Oh yes, the shiny shiny was like a drug to me! :D

I've had a test drive today and the deal is done! I should pick it up in 7 to 10 days. Soooo excited :D :D

Welcome aboard mate, nice to see a Vauxhall (spit) convert.

Like you said, the warranty will come into consideration and also declaring it to your insurance.

if you really love the car, just sit on the remap for now and at least you know that when a map is available and the warranty isn't a factor, then your engine will have loosened up a bit and the map will be much better for it.

Clive, when the engine has "loosened up" do you think the performance will increase overall??

An engine is like any other machine, built to fine tolerances.

When run in, any small burrs of metal would be smoothed and seals/bearings etc will have bedded in better.

The gears and clutch will be smoother and anything that was over tight will have relaxed a bit.

Things just feel slicker and more precise.

That's the time to tune.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Ive had the zetec s around a month now and covered just over 1000 miles. Overall i'm very happy with it.

The engine pick-up at low revs seems to have definately improved. However, the main performance doesn't really come alive until you hit 4k on the rev counter.

Brakes are outstanding as is the overall handling.

A couple of negatives. The rear parcel shelf is really flimsy to say the least! Also, the body panels do seem abit flimsy to. Depress in very easily when washing the car. Especially the rear quaters. The fuel tank seems a tad small, but this may be in comparison to my vectra. A full tank gives 390 miles.

I've sorted a remap with www.sp-tuning.co.uk for £350 all in for gains of around 40bhp. Wife won't let that happen until i've sold my vectra though! :(

when the hell did this car come out? I've seen people talking about it but haven't seen it on sale or on the ford website....

any links?

Well Ive had the zetec s around a month now and covered just over 1000 miles. Overall i'm very happy with it.

The engine pick-up at low revs seems to have definately improved. However, the main performance doesn't really come alive until you hit 4k on the rev counter.

Brakes are outstanding as is the overall handling.

A couple of negatives. The rear parcel shelf is really flimsy to say the least! Also, the body panels do seem abit flimsy to. Depress in very easily when washing the car. Especially the rear quaters. The fuel tank seems a tad small, but this may be in comparison to my vectra. A full tank gives 390 miles.

I've sorted a remap with www.sp-tuning.co.uk for £350 all in for gains of around 40bhp. Wife won't let that happen until i've sold my vectra though! :(

How do you find it on fuel?

I'm thinking about the 180 bhp Titanium X but curious on power and economy etc......

when the hell did this car come out? I've seen people talking about it but haven't seen it on sale or on the ford website....

any links?

The best i can find at this blurry eyed time of the morning is the link below.

I love mine despite a few niggles that don't impress me about the car.

I've not seen another one on the road as yet, and having the extra lower front and rear black gloss trim theyed be easy to spot. I'm hoping thats a good thing!! :mellow:

http://www.talkford.com/topic/190723-focus-mk3-zetec-s-launched-with-180bhp/page__hl__%2Bfocus+%2Bzetec+%2Becoboost__fromsearch__1

How do you find it on fuel?

I'm thinking about the 180 bhp Titanium X but curious on power and economy etc......

I think the fuel economy is cr4p to be fair. Although i don't do many miles so it's not to big an issue for me. I kind of feel conned.

From memory i'm sure on paper the stats were around 44 mpg in varied conditions. Yet mine's averaging 33 mpg. 70% of the time i just plod along, even changing up gear when the dash indicates to do so for max mpg, and using "stop start". The other 30% is more spirited (hate that word!) driving than caning it to death.

And although it has the 178 bhp it deliveres the power so linear it's hard to make out much of a surge when the turbo cuts in. Although that said, it does pull well, especially when the car hits 4000 rpm.

Perhaps i'm missing the point?? I'm no car reviewer, and it's been along time since i've owned a car with such a small engine. But my other car, (until sold) is a 2004 127000k Vectra 1.9 cdti mapped from 150 bhp to 190 bhp (ish) and it would leave the Focus for dead! I drove both today, "back to back" and it confirmed my feelings.

Having said that i am very happy overall with my Focus.

Hope that helps??

I think the fuel economy is cr4p to be fair. Although i don't do many miles so it's not to big an issue for me. I kind of feel conned.

From memory i'm sure on paper the stats were around 44 mpg in varied conditions. Yet mine's averaging 33 mpg. 70% of the time i just plod along, even changing up gear when the dash indicates to do so for max mpg, and using "stop start". The other 30% is more spirited (hate that word!) driving than caning it to death.

And although it has the 178 bhp it deliveres the power so linear it's hard to make out much of a surge when the turbo cuts in. Although that said, it does pull well, especially when the car hits 4000 rpm.

Perhaps i'm missing the point?? I'm no car reviewer, and it's been along time since i've owned a car with such a small engine. But my other car, (until sold) is a 2004 127000k Vectra 1.9 cdti mapped from 150 bhp to 190 bhp (ish) and it would leave the Focus for dead! I drove both today, "back to back" and it confirmed my feelings.

Having said that i am very happy overall with my Focus.

Hope that helps??

Just found the brochure from Ford and it said combined is 47.9!! Most of my driving is consists of 10 mile round trips to my local town on A roads. It also has a small tank range, 390 going on the trip computer.

Hi Jamie, I'm not convinced of these tiny engines boosted to give massive bhp for their size either. To me something has got to give long term I'd rather have a larger engine less tuned and a more relaxed drive than have to vapourize a tiny unit giving the same power. It will be interesting to see how these high performance engines last after 5 years of driving, also its often the case that a diesel will give greater economy than these small petrol engines and the power is in the right area to make use of in every day driving.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jamie, I'm not convinced of these tiny engines boosted to give massive bhp for their size either. To me something has got to give long term I'd rather have a larger engine less tuned and a more relaxed drive than have to vapourize a tiny unit giving the same power. It will be interesting to see how these high performance engines last after 5 years of driving, also its often the case that a diesel will give greater economy than these small petrol engines and the power is in the right area to make use of in every day driving.

Apologies for the late reply, I've been unwell and pre-occupied with a stressful house move. As if theres a non stressful house move....

Anyhow. Graham, you've hit the nail on the head!!!

I feel a little embarassed to be honest. There are so few of the Zetec S petrols out there it was nice to have something a little different. Now i feel foolish and naive as all bar a few fools out there like me saw the writing on the wall!!

I'm so dissatisfied with my Focus Zetec S 180 petrol consumption, i'm returning it with a percieved "fault” to be rectified. You can’t bulls**t a potential buyer parting with the best part of 20 grand that a particular model does a “combined 47.9 mpg” when in the reality of day to day driving you’re getting 32 – 34 mpg!!

I’m no boy racer but i’m also no dreaded Sunday pensioner driver!

But my Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti, from memory was given an indicated average of about 49 mpg. And no matter how hard that car was driven it always returned a minimum of 47 mpg!!

It was the first Ford i’ve owned, and if “they” can tell such basic blatant lies like that, it will certainly be the last!!!

Just to add that i never got the car "re-mapped" and i've now covered around 2500 miles.

Hi

I would not expect a new engine to reach its potential for at least 5000-10000 miles

Everything has to be run in gradually.

Tuning an engine when its only a baby will rip run it in rather than gradually.

Jamie

Hi

I would not expect a new engine to reach its potential for at least 5000-10000 miles

Everything has to be run in gradually.

Tuning an engine when its only a baby will rip run it in rather than gradually.

Jamie

Thanks for the imput Jamie.

I've heard similar but different stats.

The dealer said new cars don't need to be "run in" but should reach there maximum potential within 1500 to 2000 miles.

I suppose everyone has there own opinion about the "bedding in/running in"

I will certainly be taking the car back for inspection!

running in still has to occur to some degree

The rings will have sharp edges. The castings will be tight in there bearings etc etc

This is one reason why mpg tends to get better slowly

Where in worcestershire are you

Jamie

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club