Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S(Petrol Or Diesel) Help

boroninja

Hi everyone

im looking at buying a new sportier hatchback as my jobs relocating closer to home.I like the look of the zetec s (having owned a 2006 tdci zetec s for a few years,it was a little flat on acceleration though) and fancy the 1.6 zetec s over the 1.6 diesel as il only be doing a 20 mile round trip daily

couple of questions to anyone that can help

does the 1.6 petrol give good economy?on motorway or just short distances?

any problems anyones had with it?

should i just get the tdci and remap?

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Hi Boron

In my honest oppinoin you would be better off with the 1.6 ti vct fiesta.

Reason being. You can get one considerably cheaper than a 1.6 tdci version.

Less problems with :-

DPF (Diesel Particulate filters) (Very problematic at the moment)

High Pressure Diesel pump (can blow circa £500-1500 depending on damage)

Turbo can blow again problematic on these engines

Diesel is £1.45 a litre although you do get better miles per gallon it will take you longer to get any moneficial benefit.

All the above are if and maybe but it has happened even on the 1.6 tdci focus that i have

You can get the 1.6 tivct remapped (up to 155 ps) www.mountuneperformance.co.uk (dont know how to do tiny urls sorry mods)

Someone who owns a mountuned Z S will be along shortly. (petrol)

Hope this helps

Jamie ;-)

I currently own the fiesta ghia which has the 1.6 petrol engine in it. its a 5 door so slightly heavier than the 3 door. i usually get around 34mpg but you can easily achieve 38mpg if you adjust your driving style and take it easy on the accelerator. It is quite a pokey engine and does shift if you floor it. I have owned the car from new and havent had a single problem in 5 years. its been a very reliable car and doesnt cost a lot to service. I would however if your only planning to use your car for commuting say that the diesel would be the better the choice it may not be as fast on acceleration but you get much more mpg and ultimately save money on fuel costs. Hope this helps you both are good choices and are good reliable cars.

1.6 tivct by far.

I had the diesel before and it's just not a fun car to drive compared to the high revs of a 1.6 - especially the vct model.

As previously mentioned, if they go wrong- the bill is generally a lot more than the petrol equivalent. There is less to a petrol engine even with the addition of spark plugs.

And the fuel is cheaper.

a year's tax....£20

62.5 mpg in summer...£100 a month less

knowing you are being kind to johnny polar bear...priceless

B)

knowing you are being kind to johnny polar bear...priceless

B)

I bet that if polar bears could get driving licences they wouldn't give a monkeys about us.

:P

If i was a polar bear i would drive a petrol fiesta rofl.

:-)

Jamie

If i was a polar bear i would drive a petrol fiesta rofl.

nomination for quote of the day

If i was a polar bear i would drive a petrol fiesta

What about a Panda?

err errrrrm Pah I give up lol :-)

Jamie :-)

I'm getting indicated 45mpg from my 1.6 petrol, normal driving (never driven on the motorway either).

As with any engine, it depends on the driving style of the driver. If you have a heavy right foot, you would get around 35 MPG. On the motorway i've had 55 MPG, but that was in the roadworks at 50 mph. As for jolly polar bear, it's only 30 grams or so more of co2 when compared to the tdci ;) Don't think mr polar bear will mind that :lol:

I quite like my diesel Fiesta, I get an average of 53.4mpg with a heavy foot which is nice, the 8p extra a litre is easily made up and is nice on motorways if ever required. Yeah so it's not as revvy as the petrol, but practicality wise it's probably slightly better. Not sure what a petrol can have done by a remap, but a tuning box can have the diesel put up to 120bhp with 240nm torque without a warranty void.

As others have said, it's not just about MPG. For the milelage you do (5000 ish per year?) it's no brainer. Get the petrol. If you were doing more than 12,500 miles a year a diesel would make more sense.

My friend has a diesel focus yet only does a few miles a day if that. He's had the DPF light on numerous times.

I find my petrol Zetec S will return 38 MPG in my traffic filled daily commute. Out on country roads MPG is actually up at 40 -50 mpg.

The engine is a joy to rev and the short gearing makes it feel a lot qucker than it is. Really puts a smile on your face.

Hi,

I had the same decision and I have just bought the diesel. I do about 25 miles a day so not masses more than you, so in a similar situation.

I test drove both there was only the one pro for the petrol. It 0-30 was noticeably quicker. It also sounds better than the diesel. But as soon as you got going in the diesel, you were gone. Overtakes is nicer than the petrol, insurance/tax cheaper, fuel consumption better (10p more expensive a litre however).

That's just my opinion though. The petrol seems to be a lot more popular

Edit: You also might like to know the MPG's on both cars were quite different to brochure. petrol: 45, diesel: 57

Also, you cannot get the street pack on the diesel. Big down side for me.

Why can't you get the Street pack for a diesel?

It's just not an optional extra. Have no idea why. Ford said would be a £1700 job to it as a dealership extra. Absolutely crazy.

Weird, it was available when I bought mine. Seems a lot for the street pack even broken down into parts, probably some elaborate labour costs, you could probably buy the parts for a lot less and fit yourself if you know how.

Hasn't been available since March 2010 when the new 95PS engine with DPF came out. I believe the reason was something to do with emissions.

If you were to buy the streetpack yourself you'd be looking at £1,000 (4 x £150 = £600 for alloys, then 4 x £100 = £400 for tyres)

Hasn't been available since March 2010 when the new 95PS engine with DPF came out. I believe the reason was something to do with emissions.

If you were to buy the streetpack yourself you'd be looking at £1,000 (4 x £150 = £600 for alloys, then 4 x £100 = £400 for tyres)

dont forget about the privacy glass - which is also part of the street pack

dont forget about the privacy glass - which is also part of the street pack

I hadn't forgot, just missed the word 'alloys' from my post ;)

The dealer trying to charge £700 for tints, they're having a laugh! Mine were £60.

Yeh great advise smash your windows sure your insurance will love you for that

:P Not sure smashing the window's is worth the insurance increase if honest, surely the glass isn't that expensive anyway?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club