Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator

suddste

Had a battery warning light pop up for 5 seconds today

I've always wanted to get more into changing stuff myself if possible so I want to start with the alternator once it gets worse.

Just wondering what tools I need to change the alternator (for example exactly what wrench or screw driver do I need to do this job)

I have an image to upload if anyone needs to see

I'ts a mk1.5 focus with the alternator up front, looks easy to do

what makes you so sure its the alternator?1st have a free battery test done the light can come on if its not a silver calcium battery if the battery has a faulty cell meaning it isnt charging correctly and if the idle drops too low or nearly stalls.

many will automaticaly say alternator from past experience its the battery you can have an alternator check done when the battery is checked

Check the cheaper, easier to replace bit first.

An alternator shouldn't be on the way out at 37k.

what makes you so sure its the alternator?1st have a free battery test done the light can come on if its not a silver calcium battery if the battery has a faulty cell meaning it isnt charging correctly and if the idle drops too low or nearly stalls.

many will automaticaly say alternator from past experience its the battery you can have an alternator check done when the battery is checked

It's an original motorcraft battery but I beleive it's been replaced anyway so it's deffo the correct type

and yeah when going to neutral my cars idle goes pretty low then comes back up to normal it might have been that, although i've never seen the light before, and it's been doing the idle thing for a while now, what does that, btw?

It could be the idle control valve which is simple to replace or it may need a service. 37,500 miles is a fairly major service interval, so you probably need plugs, leads, air filter as well as the normal oil and filter doing.

It could be the idle control valve which is simple to replace or it may need a service. 37,500 miles is a fairly major service interval, so you probably need plugs, leads, air filter as well as the normal oil and filter doing.

sorry it's closer to 60,000mi now, havent updated since I joined lo.l

the battery still might have a faulty cell and a checks free

yeah