Do Not Sell My Personal Information

running problems

vicky

I have a p reg 1300 fiesta and i have had it for 3 years never really had any problems. Just lately its started spluttering and after a cuople of minutes it will suddenly kick back in and i have a strong smell of fuel?,, it has been to a local garage and i don,t know if they are cowboys or not but they gave it me back and said they could,nt do anything because they could,nt find anything? i do not have a fuel leak as there is nothing under my car it just rund terrible and uses quite a lot of fuel. Can someone help please its driving me mad many thanks vicky :blink:

• 6 months later...

hi vicky,

is your car the model with the carb? to me it sounds like its a problem with the flow of petrol, there are 3 reasons i can think of for the spluttering......

1. petrol not getting into the carb properly

2. the timing of the engine

3. spark plugs

have you taken the spark plugs out and checked to see if they are wet? if they are wet it means too much fuel is getting through hence the spluttering, it may even be that your carb needs rebuilding. i hope this helps. let us know how you get on with it.

fordlad

I have a p reg 1300 fiesta and i have had it for 3 years never really had any problems. Just lately its started spluttering and after a cuople of minutes it will suddenly kick back in and i have a strong smell of fuel?,, it has been to a local garage and i don,t know if they are cowboys or not but they gave it me back and said they could,nt do anything because they could,nt find anything? i do not have a fuel leak as there is nothing under my car it just rund terrible and uses quite a lot of fuel. Can someone help please its driving me mad many thanks vicky :blink:

• 2 months later...
hi vicky

Did you get your car sorted in the end?

hi steve.

sort of had to take it to garage they said air intake meter replaced it.

running a lot better but still has judders as though it going cut out when i brake, but does not actually die.

thanks for reply

vicky

I had something similar when i braked. Turned out to be a split on the air intake and the air was bypassing the air intake meter. he braking part is due to the weight of the engine and the gearing that causes the enine to move forward slightly, thus creating a bigger gap in the air intake and then too much air getting in.

• Like 1

When my old Fiesta did that all that was wrong was the timing was really out and the spark plugs needed changing and then it was back to the original way it drove, until someone drove into it when it was parked and wrote it off

• 5 months later...

Hi Steve,

just read your diagnosis below...I have a smilar situation. I've replaced my air control valve which worked for a while, but now I'm back to cutting out after breaking or slowing. Can you explain where abouts I should be checking for any split?

Thanks in advance

Lou

I had something similar when i braked. Turned out to be a split on the air intake and the air was bypassing the air intake meter. he braking part is due to the weight of the engine and the gearing that causes the enine to move forward slightly, thus creating a bigger gap in the air intake and then too much air getting in.