Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 Oil Use

Johnno260

Hi I am new here, I bought a 1.4 Zetec Fiesta on a 11 plate last year just before Christmas, 2nd hand from a main dealer with 4900 miles on the clock.

Checked all the fluid levels before I drove it off, the first service is due in May and wasn't told to check oil and fluids and tbh it's the newest car I have ever owned and didn't think to check.

Today while topping up the washer fluid thought I would check the oil, cars done 8k miles now, car had been standing for 5hrs, on a flat area and was shocked to see the oil just covering the bottom of the dipstick, called Ford and was told that's normal oil usage for the model and age?!?

He said 1litre of oil per 1k miles done, seemed high to me, and according to the owners manual the engine should be at normal oil usage at 3k miles.

Now I am a tad worried as the Warranty is almost up, and my previous car crippled me in repair bills.

I am worrying over nothing? Or should I insist they take a look while the warranty is still active?

Thanks in advance for any help.

After 9k miles I haven't put a drop in mine (have checked levels regularly), though it is diesel (not sure which yours is so just thought I'd post). Saying that my old car would want oil all the time, some do and some don't, I guess it depends on the engine, all are different.

Thanks mate, and you pointed out a massive hole in my post there! haha

It's a 1.4 Zetec petrol.

My 1.6 petrol (had it from new) has never consumed oil. Before its first service it was always exactly half way between the min and max marks. Since the service it's been on the max mark.

I didn't think engines were meant to consume oil at all...

My 1.6 petrol drank a lot of oil within the first 2,000 miles or so, and needed a top up. But since then it's been staying in the middle and not moved in months.

Don't they all have 3 years Warranty on Ford UK Cars if so have you not got over tow years left just take it to ford ask them to top it up and make sure they log the oil usage so if you have a probs later on if it still uses oil let them top it up make sure they log this. this is what i would do.

I thought the warranty was 3 years, I checked all the paperwork and the Ford manufacturers warranty is 1 year.

I thought the warranty was 3 years, I checked all the paperwork and the Ford manufacturers warranty is 1 year.

Thats what it said in my book as well 1 year. But i was told that the car actually has 3 year warranty. It's kind of confusing but am thinking the car has 1 year "Dealer" warranty and 3 year "Ford" warranty. Luckily not many problems here.

1.4 Petrol Titanium didn't change the oil until it's first service @ 9397 miles. But i started to notice the car was starting to get sluggish. I noticed after the service the car felt a little better at going up hills. oil always remained between min and max. I believe now it's at max.

ok cheers guys, I will call them today and ask for them to take a look.

I will also ask them to clarify the warranty deal, as that just seems mad if the paper work all states 1yr when in fact it's 3yrs.

I noticed it wasn't pulling so well up hills, and it didn't sound as quiet as before, just assumed it was due to the first service being due in a month.

I will also ask them to clarify the warranty deal, as that just seems mad if the paper work all states 1yr when in fact it's 3yrs.

Here is the explanation from my dealer:

A new Ford car carries a 3 year or 60' date='000 mile warranty, the first year is a full Ford manufacturer warranty, years 2 & 3 are best described a dealer warranty. The difference between the two warranties is that in the 1[sup']st year the cover can be described as ‘bumper to bumper’ with all components being covered for ‘manufacturing defects’ but this does not cover ‘wear & tear / service items / adjustments.

The 2nd & 3rd year has a slightly less comprehensive coverage with more items being classed as service items i.e. the main battery, key fob batteries, some trim items, some water leaks, wipers etc.

To try to explain this better I am attaching a copy of the warranty given to used Ford buyers, this explains what is covered and this is very similar to the 2nd & 3rd year cover on a new car.

I am sure you will appreciate it is difficult to explain every nuance of the various warranties, but I hope this helps.

I cant see a problem. It sounds like the car has used about a litre of oil in over 3000 miles. If you have been doing a lot of short journeys, it will tend to use oil, especially on an engine with less than 20k miles on it. If the car has only been used for long runs, then I wouldn't be happy with it unless it was an Alfa which would normally use a litre per 1000 miles.

Here is the explanation from my dealer:

Thanks iNath

I cant see a problem. It sounds like the car has used about a litre of oil in over 3000 miles. If you have been doing a lot of short journeys, it will tend to use oil, especially on an engine with less than 20k miles on it. If the car has only been used for long runs, then I wouldn't be happy with it unless it was an Alfa which would normally use a litre per 1000 miles.

It's normally longer trips, 30miles door to door from Home to work, and the same after, shopping I grab as I drive home.

I am just a little paranoid after my last car, Fiat Punto which threw the whole wardrobe of problems at me, from HG failure, ECU, gearbox, you get the picture, I had to spend close to 2k in 6 months just keeping it running.

The dealer I purchased from did confirm it was 2-3 yr warranty from first reg date, I asked if Lifestyle Fords 1litre per 1k miles was corrrect and I was told a solid no.

• 4 weeks later...

Checked oil today, almost 1 month later and 800 miles later.

I added 1 litre of oil a month ago, and it was almost at the max mark, today it's almost at the min mark.

Does this sound right?

There are no obvious leaks I can see.

Well no not to me I have a deisel and have driven close to 8k in it now 30mile trips to work like you and I've never had to put a drop of oil in it checked it yesterday and still at the max mark so either I've got a problem or you have

Hi think you may have a problem my 1.6 TDCI has done 6000 miles oil has gone down about 1/8th of an inch.

I think they are fobbing you off in the hope this will get better.After your service in May keep an eye on it and take it back as soon as it starts to drop to 1/2 way down the dip stick.(keep on at them)

Hi not sure if you can do this but if you take the spark plugs out (should not have to do this on a newish car)if they are brown like a biscuit ok if black and sooty oil is getting past the oil control rings and you may have a problem.

PS Have you seen any oil in the expantion tank or white gunk if you take the oil filler cap off?

Good points dah, and being a previous Punto owner and those being notorious for suffering that issue I should of checked that.

I will check the filler cap now, as for the sparks not sure I have the tools to hand for that.

It's been booked in on the 9th May to be looked at, one Ford dealer refused to look at it saying the engines not run in until 15k miles!?!

EDIT: oil filler cap, and expansion tank are clear of mayo.

15K to run it in? Absolute rubbish. More like 600 miles. i have 30K miles and 3 services with my 1.4 and it has never needed any oil.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club