Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide: Fitting Auto Dimmer Unit From Gen Labs To Gauges Or Drl

Lenny

Guide Fitting Gen Labs LED DRL'S Auto Dimmer Relay

This Guide is now available to download in PDF format see link:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/62843-guide-fitting-genlabs-auto-dimmer-to-focus-drl-or-gauges-pdf/?p=420105

Here is a Guide to fitting a Gen Labs auto Dimmer for Drl's but i have used the auto dimmer module for my ST gauge Pod instead of fitting it to some DRL'S and it is a fantastic little piece of kit, i have drawn a diagram in this Guide for fitting the unit to DRL's but i have used it to dim my gauges and it works 100%
if you are fitting some DRL'S or aftermarket gauges this is a must have piece of kit, and ideal for DRL's to ensure they are road legal and not blinding to other drivers at night.

Here is a link to the one i have used in this guide:
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35bb427888
they also offer a kit for the drls that dims the drl's when the indicators are active:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-DRL-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LIGHT-AUTO-SWITCH-RELAY-DIMMING-DIM-INDICATOR-CANBUS-/230770351113?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D230760547248%252B230760547248%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7714103082233624020
The unit is much smaller than I was expecting, as you can see the size in the picture below when positioned next to the ford key Fob, it fits in to practically anywhere, supplied with a double sided sticky pad for easy mounting to prevent it from rattling around.
Image1731.jpg

The unit comes supplied with instructions for fitting to DRL's so here is an image of what you get in the post:

Image1733.jpg

Below this text is the Diagram i have drawn for the unit to be wired to DRL's

DRLwiring.jpg

Below this text is the Diagram i have drawn for the unit to be wired to Gauges

Image1729-1.jpg

if like me you want the gauges to illuminate 100% brightness when the ignition is on,
and automatically dim to 50% Brightness when the interior lights are switched on.

then splice the white cable and the orange cable to each other.
the results will be 100% light on with ignition and when you switch on your lights the gauges will dim to 50% brightness thus less glaring at night giving a nice stock apperance and easier on the eyes when driving at night, while also being clearly visible during the day.

Image1743.jpg

but if you would prefer to have control of when the gauges Dim to 50% you can purchase some cable and a rocker switch from here:

2 Metres of Cable:
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27bd5915eb

12v Rocker Switch:
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a14a420a1

Insulated Crimp Spade Connectors:
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43aac59542

and run the two cables both white and orange to the rocker switch via the additional cable, this will mean that the gauges will illuminate 100% all of the time when the ignition is on,

unless you put the switch to on, then the drls will dim to 50% until you put the switch back off again.

I had already installed my gauges before i realised they were too bright for night driving, so i had to re trace the connections and if this unit in to place,

So i removed the stereo surround and the stereo, taking note of the stereo code prior to removal,

and also removed the switch panel for the rear window de-mister,
where i had spliced in to an interior light positive feed,
i removed the original cable leading to the gauge light positive feed and spliced in the grey feed from the cable instead,
to the positive interior light feed.

Image1746-1.jpg

Then Splice the Yellow feed from the module, to the Positive feed leading to the Gauge lights.

Image1748.jpg

Only 3 cables left to connect cool.png

Image1749-1.jpg

Next Step is to splice the red feed from the module to the Ignition Positive feed in the car,
i have used the Interior heater controls to obtain an Ignition Positive Feed for the gauges Power,
so i spliced the Red feed from the Module to the Positive ignition feed on the heater controls Coloured Black/Orange

. No Image of this one sorry,

Final Step :
Splice in the Negative feeds from the Module in to the large black feed at the rear of the climate control unit,
i had already spliced a feed to the large black cable for the gauges previous wiring arangment so i spliced in to it instead of making two joints in the original loom.

Image1464.jpg
Image1751.jpg

Job Done cool.png

replace all panels and stereo,
im very happy with the end results, my gauges now illuminate when the key is turned in the ignition, and also automatically Dim at night when the lights are switched on.

Image1584.jpg

Here are the Results

Standard 100% Ilumination Ignition on with lights off

Image1758.jpg

Night illumination 50% with Ignition On and lights on

Image1754.jpg

Nice Guide Lenny , and a nice bit of kit for anyone wanting to use it for DRL's or Dimming anything else :)

• Like 1

Nice Guide Lenny , and a nice bit of kit for anyone wanting to use it for DRL's or Dimming anything else :)

thanks pree,

ive updated with night shots too, very happy with it,

you can see how they now almost match the illumination level of the speedo cluster.

Thats a good match lenny , and like you say less blinding

Thats a good match lenny , and like you say less blinding

yes mate,

as you can see in the first image and in this image here

Image1757.jpg

they are very bright when at 100% illumination at night,

and were very visible to drivers behind me through the rear window :lol:

but thankfully this module has stopped all of that.

That is very useful , thanks

While I am on do you still have the focus stainless fuel cap cover for sale

Bela

• Like 1

That is very useful , thanks

While I am on do you still have the focus stainless fuel cap cover for sale

Bela

Hi Stephen,

thanks for the comments mate,

and sorry to say the fuel flap cover has been sold,

Cheers Clive, Hope this Guide Helps others, I take it your very happy with it :D

Hi Stephen,

thanks for the comments mate,

and sorry to say the fuel flap cover has been sold,

Yes and ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hi lenny brilliant guide ive got the exact same relay for fitting with drl's but struggling to connect to the ignition part of it. you wouldnt know which wire i should splice into thats located in the engine fuse box? or how i should go about it?

many thanks

hi lenny brilliant guide ive got the exact same relay for fitting with drl's but struggling to connect to the ignition part of it. you wouldnt know which wire i should splice into thats located in the engine fuse box? or how i should go about it?

many thanks

hi luke,

thanks for your comments,

the best i could recommend you to do is purchase a fuse splicing kit that will take power from the ignition feed inside the engine fuse box,

basically all you do is remove the ignition fuse and insert the fuse shaped piggy back plug, then insert the ignition fuse in to the side of the plug and another fuse the same level of amps as the ignition one in to the side of the plug to get it all working including the DRL's

this way their is no snipping or joining of cables in the engine bay or risk of water engress shorting your ignition fuse,

here is a link to the unit:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a14b1c2ff

connect the DRL positive feed to the red cable on the piggy back fuse,

then isert the fuse in to the side of the adaptor,

now you just need to find the ignition fuse in the engine bay fuse box, if you lift the lid and look under the lid it will have a diagramme of all fuses and show which one is the ignition. ;)

thanks a lot lenny, just new to this forum and realising how helpful its going to be. looks like a good piece of kit, all ordered and will get to it as soon as it arrives.

thanks again

thanks a lot lenny, just new to this forum and realising how helpful its going to be. looks like a good piece of kit, all ordered and will get to it as soon as it arrives.

thanks again

no problem mate,

and welcome to the forum,

Dave is a top man at Auto Star electronics,

you wont be waiting too long for your order, i buy all of my automotive electrical cables and connectors from him and he dispatches same day when possible with any orders before 5pm shipped same day, all quality stuff too.

no problem mate,

and welcome to the forum,

Dave is a top man at Auto Star electronics,

you wont be waiting too long for your order, i buy all of my automotive electrical cables and connectors from him and he dispatches same day when possible with any orders before 5pm shipped same day, all quality stuff too.

Hi mate, how do these piggy back things work?

I assume you take the old fuse out, plug the pig in.

Then plug the removed fuse into the bottom socket? Then a new one into the top socket which is what the wires conenected to?

You probably dont need to reply as i think i just explained it to myself?

• Like 1

Then plug the removed fuse into the bottom socket? Then a new one into the top socket which is what the wires conenected to?

yes that is correct mate,

so if you wanted an ignition feed they are the easiest way to get one in the engine bay compartment,

• 1 month later...

Looking for this relay for my DRLs, as the one I have just now just switches them off altogether with the sidelights and I'd quite like to have them still on at night, but half brightness, as you see on some luxury vehicles.

But the eBay store for that company doesn't seem to be listing them :(. I sent them a mail to see if I can get them elsewhere, but in the meantime, anybody know of an alternative place to get such a relay?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

How can I get the standerd pod to light up

Unfortunately i dont have a schematic wiring diagram for the ST pod in order to know which terminals leed to the positive & Negative illumination feeds,

However this guide will help you 100% with the opposite end of the cable ;)

• 11 months later...

that's correct mate

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club