Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 1.6Tdci - First 500+ Mile From Tank Of Fuel !!

tomo2001

Interesting thread, I just thought I'd chip in at this point and say I can get 700 miles to a tank if I drive in full hypermiling mode but 600 plus is normal. Bear in mind that I have a 2.0 auto I think this is quite acceptable.

I took a photo of last time I filled up for you to see the evidence. :)

That's insane! How is it so good?!

I get about 55ish mpg in my 2006 1.6tdci, which is just over 600 miles.

That's insane! How is it so good?!

I get about 55ish mpg in my 2006 1.6tdci, which is just over 600 miles.

Bigger more powerful engines aren't necessarily less economical if driven carefully.

I never need to rev it much past 2000 rpm due to the increased torque.

I agree. I used to have a mini cooper s clubman and got 45mpg average doing a mix of motorway and town driving. It had 170bhp and if i drove carefully on the motorway on a long journey it got mid 50's easily. I know it was lighter but the wheels were alot wider.

Bit disapointed with my new 1.6tdi focus. Was expecting 60mpg at the least but all i get is 53mpg and the display claims im a eco champion??????

Bigger more powerful engines aren't necessarily less economical if driven carefully.

I never need to rev it much past 2000 rpm due to the increased torque.

Oh yes I fully understand that, its just others with your engine have been getting 30-40 mpg, which is a lot less, when they claim to be driving economically.

I agree. I used to have a mini cooper s clubman and got 45mpg average doing a mix of motorway and town driving. It had 170bhp and if i drove carefully on the motorway on a long journey it got mid 50's easily. I know it was lighter but the wheels were alot wider.

Bit disapointed with my new 1.6tdi focus. Was expecting 60mpg at the least but all i get is 53mpg and the display claims im a eco champion??????

Oh yes I fully understand that, its just others with your engine have been getting 30-40 mpg, which is a lot less, when they claim to be driving economically.

I too am an eco champion according to the car as you might expect. The car computer is currently telling me I'm averaging 52 mpg and with a bit of maths... The 60 litre tank @ 4.55 l/g gives me 13.19 gallons and @ 52 mpg that's 685 miles to a tank. Like I said earlier I can get over 700 miles to a tank if I try and just how people are only getting 30-40 mpg I really don't know, not my idea of driving economically...

• 1 year later...

Agreed but driving at 60mph on the motorway just winds people up and HGV's hang on to your tailgate

Found this thread while looking for something else, but yes driving at 60mph in a car will wind people up and have HGV's breathing down your neck as you won't actually be doing 60mph as your speedo is not calibrated, a truck is and when it is doing 90kmh or 56.25mph will be knocking on your bootlid.

Just thought I would share.

its all about the throttle % and fuel flow, not gears or speed

the quicker you drive the quicker you refuel

Id say most folk drive around 60 an trying to find a lorry to slipstream doing 60 is high on impossible unless they from Ireland!

I find it hard work getting it working efficiently an usually that's between 60-65 on the clock, GPS says 60