Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So Called Auto Wipers

tdci ross

I have a focus with the auto lights n wipers. lights work fine but auto wipers don't work on auto setting. I've taken the whole thing off the screen n cleaned it. I've had the interior light out n checked the earth connection on the roof behind the light fitting. most recently i replaced the auto wipers unit by the interior mirror. still doesn't work !! any more ideas ?? wierd thing is on auto setting at sensitivity 6 if you move it to 5 it wipes once, then move to 4 it wipes once etc but even on setting 1 in the worst rain it still won't flippin work !!

Move to Sussex, we don't have rain, so no need for wipers; our hosepipe ban starts tomorrow! Just given the car the last good clean for 2012. :(

Yup me too, done all the same cleaned the windscreen when I take the sensor of the windscreen the wipers go mad so sensor must be working, any one have any more ideas

Maybe it's how it's attached to the screen , can't remember if this sensor works on vibration or not , when you removed it did you replace the bonding and is it a tight fit to the screen

I Got a focus Haynes book but doesn't mention anything about the sensor, that what I been woundering is how far away is the sensor supposed to be or how close to the windscreen I know my car had a new windscreen fitted before I got it so thought perhaps they stuck the part on the windscreen wrong ?

Also I keep reading over forums and alot of them go on about adhesive to stick the sensor on mine just clip on to the bracket already stuck on the windscreen ???

All the auto rain sensors I have seen use an infrared signal, and require a good optical contact to the screen, as it relies on the change in the refractive index (reflections) caused by rain drops.

Would it not be affected by non standard window tints or Heated windscreens because the refraction must be affected in those situations?

Normal windscreen is different from the one used in cars with rain sensor. In this case both OEM and aftermarket ones have marked place to fit the sensor.

Would it not be affected by non standard window tints or Heated windscreens because the refraction must be affected in those situations?

It may work on detecting a change in refraction which would result in rain falling on the windscreen, but a steady refraction from a tinted or dirty windscreen would not be detected. Just a guess.

Ok I been playing around with me sensor and well I've took the sensor off and waved me finger in front of the sensor and surprise surprise it works then I thought I'd try summin eles, I've put a tiny bit of blue tac on two corners and stuck the sensor straight on the windscreen and got a water bottle and misted over the sensor and it worked flawlessly with the smallest bit of water, so know I'm guessing I'll have to try get the bracket off and reglue it back on some how with out smashing the windscreen lol hope this helped

just be careful get a stanley blade and carefuly use it at an angle to cut through the bonding material once off it will be easy to scrape and clean any remaining goo. to rebond i would use windscreen bond holding it in place wont be so easy

Thanks for the reply will test it out this weekend and will update if getting the sensor closer to the windscreen works, might be same thing wrong with urs ross will update anyways

Good news me rain sensor is now fixed, had a result wile trying to find some adhesive to stick the bracket on I called a windscreen fitter to see if they sold it, they asked me if I had the gel pad fitted on the sensor and I never so met up with him and he gave me a new sensor with the gel pad already attached to it for free, nice to know there some nice people at there still and now my sensor is working 100% so Ross check u have the gel pad fitted to ur sensor mate

That was damned decent of him.

Good result.

I know, can't be leave my luck he said he think he got gel pad in his van I can have and here call me back, when he called said he had one but it was on a sensor and generally the gel pad rips when u try take them off so said I can have both, tryed offering him some money but said it was ok :)

Blimey. You did find a nice bloke there. Well done

He didn't invite you to his secluded moorland cottage for the weekend did he? :P

He didn't invite you to his secluded moorland cottage for the weekend did he? :P

Now that would be nice, a weekend get away into the bargain. Some people just never stop giving! ;)

Now that would be nice, a weekend get away into the bargain. Some people just never stop giving! ;)

:P