Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door Seals Peeling

mikey4020

My 60 plate Fiesta's door seals are starting to peel both on the driver and passenger door. I phoned the dealer this morning who are telling me it's a chargeable job to fix as Ford only cover seals for one year. Just wondering where I stand on this as after reading online it would seem this is a common fault.

there is a TSB for this issue on etis, and fords are covered with 3 year warranty so they're basically fobbing you off...

It's a known problem - mine's been back twice for it within 6 weeks (for either door) and they're peeling again.

Stand your ground! PM me an email address if you want me to send you the TSB (it's what dealers get explaining the problem and how to fix it)

EDIT: file now uploaded here: http://www.filedropper.com/weatherstrip

You expect the car to be of suitable quality. The door seals should not fall off on a car which is two years old.

Stand your ground and use TSB, as well as hundreds of posts from unhappy Ford owners on the Internet to your advantage.

My dealer sorted mine with no quibbling when the car was 15 months old.

Mine has been hanging off the passenger door basically since the car was new, I just keep forgetting to get it fixed.

Ford often use the 'This is only covered for 1 year' for... almost everything warranty related!

I'd love to know what is covered in the 2nd and 3rd years?

If I can get hold go the TSB from iNath then I don't see how they'll be able to argue with me when I take the car in. Will let you know how it goes.

Got this sorted by the dealer today...eventually. Workshop manager and warranty administrator both interested to know where the TSB had come from. Kept telling them that "wasn't relevant" and it simply confirmed the defect. Anyway they finally agreed to bond the seals and i quote "Under warranty as a good will gesture."

Since when did repairing something under a warranty become a good will gesture??

Since when did repairing something under a warranty become a good will gesture??

Especially as the adhesive mentioned in the TSB has a RETAIL price of £28.39 (ie. they pay nowhere near that) and it's enough for 30 repairs!

Glad you got it sorted :)

Nothing like rubbing their noses in it.

Even Ford can't deny their own documentation.

Damn it, i had mine done under warranty the 1st time but the 2nd time they said bring it in and we'll take a look. they fixed it but said it was out of warranty and charged me £30 (car would only have been about 15 months old), i hate my local dealer!

Damn it, i had mine done under warranty the 1st time but the 2nd time they said bring it in and we'll take a look. they fixed it but said it was out of warranty and charged me £30 (car would only have been about 15 months old), i hate my local dealer!

If anyone else is in the same situation (where the dealer refuses to accept responsibility) - buy the door seal from a scrapyard for about £10.00, some araldite for £5.00 and do it yourself.

It's something that had the dealer refused to honour the warranty, I could and would have fixed myself. It's the principal more than anything though...you shouldn't have to.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Cars now 20 months old and the seals are coming away again. Had them refixed at 1yr 2 weeks and ford garage said they would restick them as a good will gesture as car was over 1yr old. Hope iNath has still got the TSB still as I think I will need some ammo to get them to fix it FOC.

Hope iNath has still got the TSB still as I think I will need some ammo to get them to fix it FOC.

Of course he does ;) PM me an email address if you need it.

Of course he does ;) PM me an email address if you need it.

BIG Thankyou

Just want to let you know that FMC will usually cover the cost of replacing trim items as a good will gesture if the item is just outside of warranty, but will also usually assist with any repairs if your vehicle is below 45 mths, your local dealer will usually do this for you without you having to contact FMC. It is based on loyalty so if you use your dealer for sales and service then there is no reason why they should not cover the full cost of this for you. However if you do not get a satisfactory result from the dealer you can contact Ford customer relationship center on 0845 841 1111 they will contact the dealer to discuss this with them on your behalf and try to get this sorted for you.

Had both of mine done and yet they are peeling again! Take it into your dealer and they will replace them mate

• 4 weeks later...

Update to :

Hi all, Cars now 20 months old and the seals are coming away again. Had them refixed at 1yr 2 weeks and ford garage said they would restick them as a good will gesture as car was over 1yr old. Hope iNath has still got the TSB still as I think I will need some ammo to get them to fix it FOC.

Two new seals fitted today FOC.

I think I would have had a battle with them if they hadn't

attempted a fix before which subsequently failed.

• 1 month later...

Update to :

Two new seals fitted today FOC.

I think I would have had a battle with them if they hadn't

attempted a fix before which subsequently failed.

Falling off already after only 7 weeks.

Not impressed

Will now fix myself

If you want a job doing right do it yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine does it and my brothers fiesta zetec. So many others complain about it. Major design flaw!!!