Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Brakes

dingdongdo

im looking at replacing the discs and pads on my 04 tdci 130 hatchback, long time since i did this sort of thing. is it as simple as removing caliper pushing pistons back and re-fitting with new parts?

also any special tools needed?

im looking at replacing the discs and pads on my 04 tdci 130 hatchback, long time since i did this sort of thing. is it as simple as removing caliper pushing pistons back and re-fitting with new parts?

also any special tools needed?

you will need a rewind tool for the rears ideally. IIRC the N/S is pushed back while turning clockwise and the O/S is pushed back while turning counter clockwise

thanks for the info, any more details on the rewind tool? if your looking for a project its a pity your not more local. if you look at my recent posts i have a few issues which i will slowly have to work my way through but working long hours and hectic family life is a bit restricting.

thanks for the info, any more details on the rewind tool? if your looking for a project its a pity your not more local. if you look at my recent posts i have a few issues which i will slowly have to work my way through but working long hours and hectic family life is a bit restricting.

yes, you will need a kit like this for left and right handed threads - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BRAKE-CALIPER-PISTON-REWIND-WIND-BACK-TOOL-KIT-22-PCS-/310391223443?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4844c23493#ht_4221wt_1401

another project would be good now that the warmer weather is here (somewhere) lol. most recent one was a 2001 ibiza i bought for the mrs, done the clutch and then later had to remove the engine to replace the exhaust! rear brakes and rear brake pipes also. quite a few little bits n pieces but it does keep you busy for a bit. shame you are so far away.

I know the feeling mate of the long hours, sometimes its gotta be done though ay?

many thanks for the info, looks straight forward enough. will keep you updated on the progress.

many thanks for the info, looks straight forward enough. will keep you updated on the progress.

while your at the rear brakes, have a check of the handbrake cables also - i had no known issues until i went to replace my rear brakes and couldnt get them set up right. one of my cables was sticking. all replaced and working perfectly.

good advice will do, the biggest dilema i have with this car is how much time and money to spend whilst i have the question mark over the auto box/poss diff noise. the rest of the jobs are small and probably all diy. im hoping the noise is just like most old fords (and the wife). just whine with age but just keep going!!

good advice will do, the biggest dilema i have with this car is how much time and money to spend whilst i have the question mark over the auto box/poss diff noise. the rest of the jobs are small and probably all diy. im hoping the noise is just like most old fords (and the wife). just whine with age but just keep going!!

Pmsl, you know that she will probably find out you said that somehow :lol:

I dont know anything about auto boxes but could it possibly be in need of an oil top up or replacement?

what are the other jobs? the rear brakes are certainly DIY.

rear brakes, fronts not far behind. handrake travels to top with little effect, manifold as mentioned earlier and headlamp washer. not to mention needs tyres and taxing at the end of this month!! mostly small stuff but builds up to be an expensive game this driving lark!!

rear brakes, fronts not far behind. handrake travels to top with little effect, manifold as mentioned earlier and headlamp washer. not to mention needs tyres and taxing at the end of this month!! mostly small stuff but builds up to be an expensive game this driving lark!!

the rear calipers should be self adjusting (hence why they need rewinding) so i guess your handbrake cable could be stretched or just in need of adjustment. should also add that the adjuster for the handbrake is hidden behind the centre heatshield, just to make things worse

front brakes are easy but i would reckon about £80 for pads and discs, rears about the same. I use genuine parts when possible even for brakes, i got my rear discs and pads for about £100, handbrake cables were £90 (genuine again)

certainly does add up, but other than the headlamp washer it is all serviceable parts that will last you a while unless you do silly mileage lol.

there goes the million dollar question, do i buy genuine parts? i can get parts for about half price but they wont be genuine, lots of peope use these and have no issues but you never know. and as money is tight it might have to be the way to go!!

Just a bit more advice on the brakes - you can usually rewind them with needle nose pliers too.

Also recommend you open the brake fluid reservoir lid also and make sure that when you push back the pistons that the fluid does not overflow the reservoir.

I tend to stick with genuine parts where I can but you don't need to.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club